Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Hersheypark- Reese's Cupfusion and Breakers Edge reviews
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:37 am

bluestreak wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:
bluestreak wrote:Great report. I've been to Hershey a couple times (2011 and 2014 I believe... it all runs together) and that was before my hardcore enthusiast days so I couldn't really appreciate Hershey for what it is and therefore was pretty underwhelmed.... especially with Skyrush (yes I know that's a sin around here) That being said, I feel like next time I return to Hershey I'll like it a lot more and definitely feel like I'll adore Skyrush this time around.

Thanks! Was it the restraints? Really that's the only gripe I've ever heard about that ride. I can understand why someone would find them uncomfortable, but the openness and intensity gar outweighs that for me.

The restraints were part of it.... But I don't know I was underwhelmed by it. At that point I was used to hyper coasters being like Diamondback and Nitro, large floater hills everywhere. So I guess when Skyrush didn't do that it confused the hell out of me and I couldn't enjoy it as much as I should've. I'm hoping to get there this year, and definitely next year so we'll see what I think this time around.

I used to prefer the big B&M hypers over rides far crazier. After my first visit to SFGAdv, I actually liked Nitro over El Toro. But as I rode more coasters, I realized just how rare it is to have a ride this balls to the wall insane and now I appreciate that type of ride more.

coasterbill wrote:Great report! I actually don't mind Great Bear's return to the station. I sort of like that weird fake-out before the corkscrew.

Thanks! I too like how it sort of fakes you out and the corkscrew is great. I just don't find the section before or after all that great unless you're in the very front. The first half is perfect though.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Man, that entrance looks really different now. Skyrush is absolutely amazing and I'm jealous every time someone gets to ride it. Hershey is one of the greatest parks out there, and you've highlighted all the reasons why. "Taste the love all over the world!"

Thanks! I consider myself lucky to have something as crazy as Skyrush within a (long) day's drive.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:15 am

bluestreak wrote:But I don't know I was underwhelmed by it. At that point I was used to hyper coasters being like Diamondback and Nitro, large floater hills everywhere. So I guess when Skyrush didn't do that it confused the hell out of me and I couldn't enjoy it as much as I should've.

I had a similar response to it, but I just chalked it up to personal preference. While I loved Diamondback and Nitro, I found Skyrush to be little more than an overly-aggressive endurance test — and that's just not what I look for in a coaster. I'm fine with ejector air but I much prefer floater, and the whipping turns of the second half felt like they didn't accomplish much beyond tossing you around as hard as possible. To me, the design lacks dynamics and has pacing issues; I found it didn't have much to offer beyond "extreme for extreme's sake." I get why others like it so much (it's about as intense as a coaster can get), and I rode it a ridiculous amount of times (there was no line when I visited), but I found several of the park's other coasters to be much more engaging — including the meandering old woodie that Skyrush towers over.

Canobie Coaster wrote:After my first visit to SFGAdv, I actually liked Nitro over El Toro.

This was my experience as well — and I didn't expect that at all. I liked El Toro just fine and kind of expected Nitro to be dull, but I ended up loving Nitro way more than El Toro in the end.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:30 am

^ I still like Nitro, especially during HITP (I can't believe a park runs a hyper in the 20s), but I'm now firmly on team bull.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:36 pm

Awesome reports! (commenting on the last three TRs...)

Anakeesta:

Rail Runner looks like a lot fun (and scary!). I don't think I've ever ridden a true mountain coasters, however I can recall riding an alpine slide when I was 7 at Attitash Mountain Resort in NH (maybe you've heard of that?) It was a fun and real uniqe experience. Its quite thrilling and scary to be in control of your own brakes!

SFGAdv:

Yup. El Toro never disappointments. It has a way of standing even at an already-great park otherwise. Best of the best. I am hopeful though that they can make a strong addition to their coaster lineup sometime in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I love the flats they've added in recent years and even the 'cookie-cutters' in Dark Knight and Joker have value in their own right, but I think am not the only one who would like to see a new signature coaster added for a change.

Canobie Coaster wrote:Six Flags Great Adventure
It’s somewhat sad that I visited a park with 13 different roller coasters, including the world’s tallest and four five B&Ms

Fixed it for ya. ;) (unless that is, one of them wasn't operating that day?)

I often forget this park has five B&Ms. But really even that fact alone is crazy (even though one of them is unfortunately, a stand-up) :lol: )

But to be fair, I personally don't [i]hate[i] GL. Its worth at least riding once in a day. Or at least, I liked it A LOT better than the only other standup I've ridden (Mantis - I DESPISED Mantis).

Hershey:

Love this park. Have been there twice so far. Once in 2011, and then in 2016... With Skyrush opening in 2012, I ended up waiting four years to finally ride it. But it certainly did not disappoint! Tied with Maverick for my #1 steel.

The restraints don't bother me too much, but I understand why others would have serious problems with them.
Last edited by Intamin_coyote on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:49 pm.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks!

Attitash has both the alpine slide you described and a mountain coaster. They actually have the country's best mountain coaster in my opinion. It's long, has some surprise drops, and holds its speed well. I far prefer it over the alpine slide since I'm terrified I'm going to flip over the edge like my father did when he was younger.

Whoops, yeah I must have missed one of the B&Ms. I actually like Green Lantern now that I discovered how to ride B&M stand-ups (get that OSTR below ear-level). I just got my fix with that one at HITP.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby tanthonyam » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:08 pm

Ughhh I really, really hated waiting in Laff Traks que last year when I went. Bunch of yelling ,screaming stupid kids holding up the line making stupid faces in the mirrors. And the ride isn't worth the wait if the line is outside the building. I came off the ride with a headache.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:22 pm

I actually liked the fun house mirrors in the queue and Laughing Sal by the entrance of LaffTrakk, but I just can't justify waiting an hour for it when I can ride Skyrush a half dozen times in the same amount of time.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Hersheypark was GCI’s original stomping ground with both Wildcat and Lightning Racer. I think most people universally prefer Lightning Racer, but for me, it’s close.

Wildcat is undeniably the wilder of the two. The airtime is stronger, particularly on the turnarounds. But it comes at a cost. It is considerably bumpier. Thankfully it still has the old Millennium Flyer padding so the bumpiness isn’t an issue.

I thought I was the only one! Lightning Racer is great, but I thought it's a bit fluffed- fun, but kind of standard. Wildcat, on the other hand, is out of control and much better than it's reputation.
Been you to have any spike, man?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:01 pm

Wildcat with the PTCs used to be one of my favorite coasters IF you rode up front. That's a big if since it was tearing itself apart and horrifically rough in any other row.

Ultimately putting the Millennium Flyers on and making it ridable and enjoyable in every row was the way to go.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 02, 2019 4:54 pm

Disneyland Paris

When I said I was going to Paris primarily to visit Disney, I got all sorts of weird looks. The looks weren’t quite as weird as when I ride a kiddie coaster all by my lonesome, but they were judgmental nonetheless. But did I care? Nope. Disneyland Paris is stunning.

Disneyland Paris may have the weakest ride selection of the castle parks I’ve visited. I mean, no Splash Mountain :lol: But it compensates by being the most beautiful and ornate of the castle parks. And that’s no small feat. Plus it’s not like the ride selection is horrible. In fact, they have some of the best versions of classics like Big Thunder.

My first day was overcast and rainy. But in typical European fashion, crowds didn’t care one bit. Since I got a beautiful $350 roundtrip flight from Norwegian, I decided to use the money I saved to splurge on the Ultimate Fastpass for my first day. Yes it was pricey, but I was able to marathon the E-tickets nonstop.

Entrance (Day).jpg
It was sort of weird to enter through a hotel, but it was beautiful.

Castle (Front, Day 1).jpg
Views like this never get old.

Castle Selfie 2.jpg
Slinky has now been to three continents.

And the E-ticket I used that perk most was Big Thunder Mountain. At the US parks, Big Thunder is popular. Calling the one at Paris popular is an understatement. This is easily the resort’s most popular ride. 90 minute queues and completely depleted Fastpasses were the norm.

Most of the ride is similar to the US counterparts. If you ride in the back, you’re treated to some sustained laterals and quick pops of air. There was one drop in particular that gave some uncharacteristic standing airtime. But what differentiates this one is the setting.

This one in Paris is located on an island. Since the station is on the mainland, this means that the ride starts and ends with two long, pitch black tunnels. The sense of speed in the last tunnel in particular rivals that of a hyper-coaster. Pretty much everyone who rides the Paris Big Thunder claims it’s the best, and I agree 100% with that notion. 7.5 out of 10

I was also really looking forward to Phantom Manor. When I booked the trip, it was supposed to be open. But the ride’s rehab dragged out longer than expected. I think the ride just reopened this week after a 1.5 year (!!) rehab. Seeing the familiar mansion in Frontierland was bizarre, but I’ve heard the ride has a really unique story. I guess that’s something to look forward to on a return trip.

Big Thunder Mountain Finale (Day 2).jpg
I'll join the bandwagon; this is the best Big Thunder.

Big Thunder Mountain Turn 2.jpg

Big Thunder Mountain Overview (Night).jpg
Big Thunder looked awesome at night (as did a certain closed ghost house).

Adventureland is usually one of the most compact lands. That’s not the case in Paris. This one is spreadout and has three distinct subareas- the Indiana Jones section, Adventure Isle, and the Swiss Family Treehouse.

Starting with the latter, the Swiss Family Treehouse isn’t exactly one of my favorite Disney attractions, but I love what Paris did with the attraction. I didn’t ride it, but the placement is perfect. It gives Adventureland a central icon that’s almost as striking as Animal Kingdom’s Tree of Life.

Adventure Isle replaces the familiar Tom Sawyer Island. It’s a daunting series of bridges and caves. If you successfully navigate your way through this area, you’re rewarded with the best version of Pirates of the Caribbean…that I’ve ridden.

Pirates typically follows the following formula- caves, drop, battle, town scene, jail scene, lift. Paris had one too many sips of rum and decided to do it in reverse. The new take on a familiar ride kept me on my toes. But what really made the Paris Pirates the best was the pacing.

This probably is blasphemous, but the one at Disneyland has some slower sections. In Paris, every scene is a 360 degree spectacle of sights. And this one ends with a bang, both literally and figuratively. You get the ride’s second drop and it’s accentuated by a neat explosion effect. Until I ride the one in Shanghai, I can say this one is my favorite. 10 out of 10

Pirates of the Caribbean Entrance.jpg
Best riding Pirates. Best looking Pirates too.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite movie, so it’s a dream come true to go on an adventure with Dr. Jones at a Disney park. Usually that attraction takes the form of the Indiana Jones Adventure, which is the world’s greatest dark ride if you ask me.

Paris went a different route. They went with a roller coaster themed to the iconic mine chase scene of Temple of Doom. Aesthetically the attraction is incredible. It’s very similar to Tokyo’s Raging Spirtis. But no one ever talks about that. Instead they fixate on the skull-crushing ride. Is it really that bad?

Not quite, but it’s way rougher than I’d ever expect a Disney ride to be. After the first turnaround taken at like 5 mph gave me some headbanging, I rode defensively and leaned forwards. While this saved me from CTE, I was too busy in self-preservation mode to appreciate the theming.

From a coaster standpoint, it’s ok. The second drop provided a quick pop of air and the compact vertical loop is very forceful. While I didn’t hate Indiana Jones, it’s hard to favorably review something that needs to be ridden defensively. I hope this ride gets a Raging Spirits retrack someday. 5 out of 10

Indiana Jones 1st Drop 2.jpg
It's no Indiana Jones Adventure, but fortunately it's better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Indiana Jones 1st Drop 3.jpg
It was like Raging Spirits plus headbanging.

Fantasyland is probably the park’s largest land. For that reason, it’s sort of a bummer that it closes early. Several rides start to close at 8 pm and all of them are closed by 9 pm. However, I understand why it’s done for the fireworks.

Most of the attractions were familiar classics. Take Peter Pan’s Flight for example. The one in Paris has the same putrid capacity we all know and hate. I thought the ride was identical to the US ones too- some neat scenes but way too short to be worth an hour-plus wait. 6 out of 10

Peter Pan's Flight.jpg
Some things never change- death, taxes, and ridiculous queues for Peter Pan's Flight.

Voyages de Pinocchio and Blanche-Neige et les Sept Nains (aka Snow White) were also identical to the versions at Disneyland from a ride perspective and that’s not a bad thing. The only difference was the vehicles. The ones in Paris bumped the capacity up 50%. 7 out of 10

Pinocchio Exterior.jpg
Have I already said how beautiful Disneyland Paris is?

Blanche Neige Nains Vehicle.jpg
Added capacity, nice!

It’s a Small World is so easy to make fun of. Heck even Disney makes fun of it in the Lion King :lol: But deep down inside I’ve grown to enjoy the versions that mix in the classic Disney characters. I think the one at Disneyland does this the best, but the one in Paris had one distinct advantage. They added in Slinky Dog. That gets brownie points from me! 9 out of 10

It's a Small World Plaza.jpg
Small world...I rode the same thing back in the US.

It's a Small World Slinky.jpg
Slinky!

Credit whores will pitch a tent since this park’s Casey Jr. is a roller coaster. The layout is far more expansive than your usual powered coaster and it gives a neat, high-speed overview of the Storybook Cruise down below. Kids ate this attraction up, but it was a one-and-done for me. 4 out of 10

Casey Jr. Overview.jpg
Casey Jr's coming down the track.

Last but not least, there’s Tomorrowland Discoveryland. The ride selection and architecture feels identical to your typical Tomorrowland, but the color pallet gave it a unique twist. And undoubtedly the centerpiece of the land is Hyperspace Mountain.

Discoveryland Sign.jpg
Not Tomorrowland.

Orbitron (Dusk).jpg
Discoveryland came alive at night.

Space Mountain is one of the most iconic coasters anywhere, but the one in Paris blows the other ones out of the water in the looks department. The oversized cannon appended to the dome is awe-inspiring. The uphill launch into the mountain is one of the most photogenic coaster moments I’ve ever seen.

Now how does it ride? This Space Mountain long had a reputation as one of the worst coasters on the planet. With the original trains, I can see why that would be the case. Jerky Vekoma transitions in complete darkness just sounds like a bad idea. But the vests eliminated all headbanging. This allowed me to appreciate Space Mountain for what it is- a coaster far more intense than any other Disney coaster.

The uphill launch is very reminiscent of Lightning Rod. The top speed is modest, but it pulls some sneaky Gs. But that’s only the tip of the iceberg. The first section has some abrupt turns and that sidewinder has a mean streak. Having an inversion that forceful in complete darkness is incredible. I’d be hard pressed to name a more forceful non-Schwarzkopf inversion.

The other notable parts of the coaster include two double downs that give hints of airtime, an awesome corkscrew over a tie-fighter battle, and a mind-warping is-it-an-inversion element. RCDB classifies that element as a tongue. Ultimately it was something between a cutback and an overbanked turn.

Hyperspace Mountain was my favorite ride at the resort outside of Tower of Terror. It was an original take on a classic Disney attraction. I still can’t believe a ride this intense exists at a Disney park, but I’m certainly not complaining. 8 out of 10

Hyperspace Mountain Overview (Night).jpg
Well this isn't your grandfather's Space Mountain.

Hyperspace Mountain Launch.jpg
The cannon brought back nostalgia to Story Land's Voyage to the Moon.

Next door is Star Tours. Outside of being in French, the ride was identical to the US counterparts. However, I felt like I hit the lottery since I avoided the dreaded Jar Jar Binks sequence. I can’t remember the last time I rode Star Tours without that scene. :lol: 7 out of 10

Star Tours Overview.jpg
For those who can't wait for Galaxy Edge, you sort of have a Star Wars land with Star Tours and Hyperspace in Paris.

Slinky Star Tours.jpg
One size fits all.

Another direct port from Disneyland was Buzz Lightyear Astro Blast. I only rode it once for this reason, but it was as fun as ever. The set-pieces are far more expansive than most shooters and I love how the different shaped targets are worth varying point values. 8 out of 10

Buzz Lightyear (Night).jpg
I made Star Command proud.

One of the most unique aspects about Disneyland Paris is the sheer number of walkthroughs. While I prefer traditional rides, these walkthroughs gave a unique flavor to the Paris park. Plus it cannot be overstated how nice it is to have attractions with absolutely no wait at a Disney park.

I think the most well-known walkthrough is Alice’s Curious Labyrinth. Hedge mazes were a staple of mine in Roller Coaster Tycoon, but I hadn’t experienced one until now. Here in New England, we believe in corn mazes. :lol: I was stunned just how much land this attraction occupied and it was a neat diversion.

Alice's Curious Labyrinth.jpg
This was a-maze-ing.

But I think my favorite walkthrough was the Taniere du Dragon, aka the Dragon Lair. Sleeping Beauty’s castle is a beacon of hope, but the basement houses one of Disney’s most impressive animatronics ever. There you’ll find a colossal dragon with a far wider range of motion than anticipated.

Dragon 2.jpg
I wonder if Aurora knows she has a dragon downstairs.

If you want something more cheery, the attic of the castle houses the Galerie de la Belle au Bois Dormant, aka the Sleeping Beauty Gallery. The room was filled with lavish tapestries and stained glass portraits more fit for a church. But I think my favorite part was the overlook of Fantasyland.

Stained Glass Windows.jpg
It's like Disney if they built a church.

I also tried the Mysteres du Nautilus, which turned out to be the weakest. The one noteworthy part was the Kraken attack in the final room, but the animation was quite blurry.

Hyperspace Mountain Cannon (Front).jpg
Would you rather go in a submarine or be blasted into space?

Ultimately I had 1.5 days at Disney plus a third day’s Extra Magic Hours. This allowed me to get multiple rerides on E-tickets, experience the other key attractions once, and appreciate the beauty of the park. That being said, I easily could have spent more time.

Castle (Front, Night 4).jpg

Main Street (Night).jpg
Au revoir.
Last edited by Canobie Coaster on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:04 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!