The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

2018 Coaster Poll Coming Soon!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

Postby JordyC » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 am

Python at Efteling is not included.

Also, Vleermuis at Plopsaland De Panne is defunct, but still in the list.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Taiga - Linnanmäki 4. Untamed - Walibi Holland 5. Shambhala - PortAventura 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Taron - Phantasialand 8. Helix - Liseberg 9. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 10. Colossos - Heide Park

Coasters: 273 || Parks: 52

Parc Astérix || Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Yeah I really wouldn't mind if Boomerangs, Pinfaris, and SLCs were omited from the list entirely. The only SLCs I thought were noteworthy at all were Thunderhawk at Michigan's Adventure and Nor'Easter at Morey's, and in both cases, I'm sure it's just in comparison to what else is there. If they had a Batman, I doubt I'd even care about those.

No Discernible Talent Whatsoever!

Postby King of Ka » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 am

I admit that I definitely care more about rankings/stats than the average enthusiast (and more than I should), but not including any SLCs or Boomerangs feels like an oversight to me. I think "Fav SLC" is a good option for enthusiasts with high ride numbers, but I agree with AJ that it isn't super friendly to casual enthusiasts.

With that said, even I can't imagine caring about the ratings of specific Pinfaris or other small random rides. Not grouping rides and filtering out anything too small/insignificant, which I think is how the list is currently set up, avoids catering to the extreme completists while also not eliminating significant rides for being unpopular.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:57 pm

So, from the start we set a cutoff as to which coasters were "rankable". That cutoff is the approximate size of a Mack / Maurer wild mouse. We generally don't include anything smaller than that unless it has some significance in the coaster world.

The whole "ranking Pinfari coasters" got blown out of proportion a bit. As of the time I write this, there will be only two Pinfari coasters on the list - Tornado at M&Ds in Scotland, and Super 8er at the Prater in Austria. Both of these coasters are compact but certainly above our cutoff in terms of size, and Tornado has two vertical loops to boot. Will they rank on the low end? Most likely. But they fit what our working definition of a "rankable" coaster is, and so they'll be there.

We absolutely do not believe that it is worth anyone's time to rank every blasted coaster in the entire world. But at the same time, we don't want to discriminate either, as we want anyone to be able to vote and have their vote counted.

As for the SLCs, Boomerangs, etc thing, we're working on a solution that we hope will satisfy both sides of the argument.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby KI Kidd » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Realizing that I may very well be in the minority, I am one of those that enjoys ranking each individual coaster down to the worst of the worst. I find it interesting to see where people rank rides at my favorite parks, not just see what everyone's top ten consist of. We have a separate thread for that. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving everyone the opportunity to rank as many as possible.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:14 pm

One issue I did have with Mitch Hawker's (and he acknowledged this in an email I sent him and claimed he'd think about it but well lol) was the Intamin Mega-lites were all individual rides, and far as I know most were exactly the same, layout, stats, everything. I did feel it should be "Fav intamin mega-lite" just so we didnt have 3 or 4 clogging up high spots when they are the same ride.
OFC this would only apply if they were indeed copies of the same ride. Any that is different is fair game! Not a huge deal but something that IDK if its been addressed or not, and if not its just my 2 cents.

Glad this is back! I have a lot of new coasters this year, over 25 I believe, and many top 15's Im ready to rank :lmao:
As always kudos for all the monumental work this must've needed.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Hermanus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:40 am

KI Kidd wrote:Realizing that I may very well be in the minority, I am one of those that enjoys ranking each individual coaster down to the worst of the worst. I find it interesting to see where people rank rides at my favorite parks, not just see what everyone's top ten consist of. We have a separate thread for that. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving everyone the opportunity to rank as many as possible.

While I can imagine why someone would want to rank every coaster we also got to be honest here, what are the odds of the ranking in the mid and lower end to really say anything. I can imagine that most people with more than 150 coasters only really rank the top 20 or so and group the rest. Also, I think that only picking the 'bigger/beter' rides is a smart idea. I for one really don't care about ranking all the wild mouse coasters I've ridden, all the small junior coasters. How fair would the ranking be if people didn't put it in since they don't care?

All in, I can see why someone wants to rank all coasters, but I have the feeling the bigger group just want the best ranked and the rest sort of sorted.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 am

I only have 150 creds but I ranked every single one of them that was included in the list provided, that included deciding which SLC and boomerangs I liked better, because imo there are definitely some installations (Nor'easter @ Moreys) that are not just better, but are like totally different rides from others (Mind Eraser @ SFA).

However, I know the Hawker poll just had us pick our fave SLC, boomerang etc and I was fine with that then, so whatever you guys do is fine by me. Either way I'm super stoked for voting to open up, thanks to everyone involved.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:53 pm

JJLehto wrote:OFC this would only apply if they were indeed copies of the same ride. Any that is different is fair game! Not a huge deal but something that IDK if its been addressed or not, and if not its just my 2 cents.

That's where a bit of curation comes in. Being the team that's making this thing happen, we also have to ask ourselves about coasters that aren't clones, but are so freaking similar that they might as well be. Perhaps every variation of the Intamin Half Pipe (Half Pipe, Surfrider, RC Racer), or every Arrow mine train, or Mack water coasters and SuperSplashes.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Sluggo77 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ When the SLC is the only coaster operating at SFNE when it's 15 degrees out, I'll marathon it. Granted I probably should be checked for even going to a park on a day like that. :lol:

I look at it as dedication LOL. Plus it’s now a fun SLC. Overall I agree though a lot of these clones are what they are and ranking them is not very necessary.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!