The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

2018 Coaster Poll Coming Soon!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

Postby Jew » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 am

I vote for as simple as possible. I've been on so many rides at this point it's tedious for me to remember anything besides my top 25ish rides and actually care.

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:12 pm

I've only ever ranked the top 20% of coasters I've ridden (Which means for every 5 coasters I ride, only 1 is ever worth getting compared against others). I don't think the inclusion of most credits is necessary in a poll like this.

99% of people who look at the poll will only care about which coasters made the Top 25 or so anyway, right?

My ballot only really consists of these top 20% coasters that I care to rank. But to be fair, I do include some coasters I find particularly overrated and put them at the end (even though I don't otherwise rank them). Just to voice my opinion a little bit.
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Hakugei|Skyrush
Lightning Rod|T Express|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:13 pm

I’m in favor of including “favorite x.” As far as the sediment that not everyone will be familiar with what ”x” is, I think most people who would actually want to take the poll are enough of enthiasts to know what they are. If possible, it could be useful to either have a section of the site dedicated to these clones where all the “favorite x”s are listed.

If possible, it would also be useful to have the site designed so that if you search for a specific example of one of these clones the site automatically pulls up the option of “favorite x” or at least redirects to it. If not being familiar with the terminology is a concern, it may be useful to have a built in text area where it tells you what an SlC is, or what a Boomerange is, etc. Idk if that’s something the website can support though.

I know that I personally would be interested in where the favorite “x”s would be ranked.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:25 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I basically rank my top 50, my bottom 10, and everything in the middle gets lumped together into categories that could be distilled down to:

"Good"

"Whatever"

"Meh"

Because I sort of just feel that I would never need to know or care about what my number one hundred and fifty second coaster ranking is.
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:26 pm.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Re: The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" ThreaWid!

Postby Skittles » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Will the polls of everyone who voted be available for public viewing, such as with the Mitch Hawker polls? (example - http://ushsho.com/processedsteelballots2013.htm)
Coaster Count - 183

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:18 pm

At least with the 2017 poll, we felt that each user's privacy was more important. Anyone who wishes to post their top ten coasters can do so in a thread or in their forum signature if they so choose. There's no need for that sort of information to be posted publicly without users' consent.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Yeah, I think with everything that has gone on lately, a bit of privacy is probably the best. Like AJ said, people can post their top coaster rankings if they want to.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:30 pm

robbalvey wrote:Here's a question I have for all of you....

Do you think there is a breaking point of having so many coasters on the list that fewer people take the poll just because the list is so daunting to sort through?

I get that having "as many coasters as possible" gives the best end results, but let's be honest here, is anyone REALLY going to care where the "FC80 Model Pinfari" at Wiener Prater ranks on the overall list?

Are we just listing these to satisfy some people's OCD or are we listing them because people REALLY HONESTLY CARE where that Pinfari ranks among all the coasters in the world.

Honest question.

Please respond.

I vote for as simple as possible.

I loved having all the options available for the Beta last year, but honestly, it *did* become daunting to have to scroll thru in order to rank. I was thinking I might just pick my top 20-30, as well as bottom 10, and just ignore everything else.

would that terribly skew the results? (or is this the kind of feedback y'all are looking for)?
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:47 pm

bert425 wrote:I was thinking I might just pick my top 20-30, as well as bottom 10, and just ignore everything else.

would that terribly skew the results? (or is this the kind of feedback y'all are looking for)?

I'm not sure how much it would skew things, but for example, expanding more from what I wrote above, what I'll do is the following....

Figure out what my top 50 is.... then my bottom ten. and let's say, just for the sake of argument, I have 400 coaters left over. I basically assign them to the following numbers:

1-50 - The best coasters I've ever been on!!!
100 - I like that coaster!
200 - I didn't hate it, but I don't need to ride it again.
300 - I don't need to ride it again.
400 - I did not like that coaster!
401 - 410 - The worst coasters I've ever been on!

It's just an easy way for me to rank things. And by putting all those middle coasters in "buckets" it does help the overall poll.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:39 am

^I had no idea that was a way to do it, when i re-evaluate and add the couple of new coasters I think i'd like to group them.

On that note, i'm surprised people really want to rank pinifaris, and things like boomerang clones and slcs and put them in there. I have a fairly small amount of coaster ridden, I think around 80-90 and apart from maybe 15 at the top and 10 at the bottom, and even then it was fairly hard with forgettable or even good coasters to try and sort them into order. I had a bunch of coasters that all were just fun but nothing special that I had no idea which order i'd put those 20-30, I didn't know I could just group them so that will make it much easier this time.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!