The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

2018 Coaster Poll Coming Soon!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

Postby JG-77 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Personally I don't see a very good reason to list all the 20,000 mostly crappy pinfaris nobody really cares about. As far as if there is a breaking point, I'd say possibly, as if the list gets to cluttered with crappy pinfaris that could make it annoying when comparing the large coasters people actually care about. I would say that its ok to include some small number of Pinfari-like coasters if they're unique or good enough, but I agree with the policy of ignoring the vast majority of them.

Also while we're on the topic of Pinfari's, while obviously this wouldn't qualify for the poll, The zyklon at the Maryland state fair was actually quite good in the back row - smooth, comfortable, nice floater on the 2 drops, lap bar that sits several inches above you with no seatbelt letting you rise up quite a bit, and fun laterals at the end.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:01 pm

I don’t care. I feel like you can just list “Standard Vekoma SLC”, “Standard Vekoma Boomerang”, “Best Pinfari” and stuff like that and I don’t see why anyone would care. If there’s one specific clone that’s clearly miles ahead of the others (See: Great Nor Easter with it’s new track or Speed of Sound) then maybe list it separately if you feel like it but I don’t really have any interest in sitting there and trying to figure out which Volare is marginally less of an abomination and an embarrassment to the world and the entire human race than the others.

PS: Since everyone comes up with an arbitrary ranking for them anyway I still contend that things like Gringotts, Wonder Mountain Guardian and Journey to Atlantis can be omitted if they aren’t already. There is no rhyme or reason to how people rank them. They come up with an arbitrary penalty for not really being a coaster and stick them wherever they want. If I were to take this poll honestly and play the “Which of these two rides would I rather ride” game then Gringotts might be my favorite coaster but that’s dumb and not in the spirit of anything you’re trying to accomplish.

That said, it’s your poll and I know that I don’t speak for everyone. I suppose that the counter-argument would be that you’re more than welcome to only rank the rides that you feel like ranking and I get that argument too.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:08 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing best SLC, best boomerang, best wild mouse, etc like the Mitch Hawker poll. I honestly don't look where those coasters rank. I'm far more interested in knowing where the custom designs rank since it helps plan future trips and bucket list coasters.

That being said, I'm a nerd and have an Excel spreadsheet of my rankings so I do know what the 5th best SLC or 8th best boomerang that I've ridden is. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:19 pm

coasterbill wrote:That said, it’s your poll and I know that I don’t speak for everyone. I suppose that the counter-argument would be that you’re more than welcome to only rank the rides that you feel like ranking and I get that argument too.

This is 100% correct.

My question was more about those people, maybe more casual theme park or roller coaster fans that would want to take the poll, but then open up the list and see such a GIANT amount of data that the run away screaming.

Or...

Is that giant amount of data more welcoming to some people?
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:28 pm.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Prof Kaos » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Given that you can search park names, the list isn't insanely daunting. It's pretty simple to add coasters park by park, then refine your list after that.

However for people that don't think of that, the huge list of coasters the site presents by default might seem dauntingly large.

I have to agree with others above who say that not every pinfari, SLC or (shudder) zamperla volare needs to go on the list. I don't think a "complete" list has to be 100% comprehensive.
1 - Banshee 2 - Behemoth 3 - Mystic Timbers
4 - Vampire 5 - Leviathan 6 - Goliath (La Ronde)
7 - Diamondback 8 - Vortex (CW)
9 - The Beast 10 - Flight of Fear

Postby coasterbill » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:30 am

It's hard to answer the casual fan question because essentially none of them are on this site in early December reading a thread about a coaster poll but maybe the best thing to do is to just use last year's results and then eliminate the bottom few hundred? There's no harm in doing that as obviously they're not going to suddenly jump up to the top spot. If it attracts more casual people then that's great, if not then it's still less work for you guys and everyone taking the poll so it's kind of a win-win.

My gut tells me that it's going to be hard to attract casual fans to something like this no matter what you do but hopefully I'm wrong. In the end I just feel like cutting down on the list is a win-win anyway so there's no harm in trying it.

PS: Obviously common sense can be used here in one of those rides undergoes a major renovation (something like Ghostrider or Great Nor' Easter) and you want to throw them back into the poll.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:00 am

Not sure what we'll do (yet), but some of my own thoughts for discussion:

There is certainly some precedent to eliminating or grouping those low-ranking clones like the suspended looping coasters, boomerangs, and Volares of the world, for sure! But, to me, choosing to include the outliers like Great Nor'Easter and Speed of Sound introduces a level of curation that -might- come across as snobbery (Robb and Chase, please give your input on this too). Sooner or later I'd bet that everyone will ask us the question, "Why isn't my favorite SLC an individual entry on the list anymore?!?" and we'll be right back where we started.

Also, consider that, to a casual user that wants to participate, a boomerang might be only one of twenty coasters that they've ridden in their life. To them, it's Sidewinder at Hersheypark. A casual fan might not even know what a Vekoma Boomerang is, so if we were to do it Mitch-style and treat the entry as "favorite Vekoma Boomerang", that user could search for Sidewinder and get no results.

98 to 99 percent (don't know exactly) of the 1,000+ coasters on the poll last year received at least one vote, and a bunch of the lower-ranked clones did have enough votes to receive numbered rankings. The coasters that didn't receive any votes at all were from some new Fantawild parks, Energylandia, and Legendia, among others.

We now have sorting and filtering on the big list, and you can even scroll through parks in alphabetical order and click one to get all of the coasters we have listed for it. But we're certainly continuing to look at ways to make the experience friendlier than it currently is.

And just as a refresher, our listing includes any coaster that is the size of a wild mouse or larger. So, no Zyklons, no Wildcats, no Wacky Worms, no Vekoma junior coasters (with exceptions), no SBF spinners, no Miler coasters (also with exceptions)...
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 am

A.J. wrote:Miler coasters (also with exceptions)...

:lol: Just do it... you know you want to do it...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:28 am

A.J. wrote:There is certainly some precedent to eliminating or grouping those low-ranking clones like the suspended looping coasters, boomerangs, and Volares of the world, for sure! But, to me, choosing to include the outliers like Great Nor'Easter and Speed of Sound introduces a level of curation that -might- come across as snobbery (Robb and Chase, please give your input on this too). Sooner or later I'd bet that everyone will ask us the question, "Why isn't my favorite SLC an individual entry on the list anymore?!?" and we'll be right back where we started.

My feeling is this...

While there are some SLC's I've ridden that are better than others... and some Boomerangs I've ridden that are better than others...

I'm not really sure that, for me personally, even "my favorite SLC or Boomerang" really ranks THAT much higher than every other SLC or Boomerang I've ridden, and if we followed the example of the Mitch Hawker poll of just including "My favorite Boomerang" as a ranking, then shouldn't that suffice?

Honestly, in all the years I've hung out with coaster enthusiasts, I'm not sure I have ever once heard the question asked "Oh, really? So... what exactly IS your favorite Boomerang or SLC?"

Because I think we all know that... most of us don't really care.

If you're riding a Boomerang or SLC, even if it is your favorite one, for anything more than a "credit" then you have something seriously wrong with you and you need to go in for repairs! :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:53 am

^ When the SLC is the only coaster operating at SFNE when it's 15 degrees out, I'll marathon it. Granted I probably should be checked for even going to a park on a day like that. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!