East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Gender: Male
Age: 46

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby hoppedup » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks for all the info, guys. I will be going to Dollywood and SFOG next weekend and just went to Carowinds this past weekend so I'm taking those three off of this itinerary and plan on spending a full day at each park,most likely taking 3 days to do CP/KI. Maybe an extra half day at SFGA if needed.

I am drooling over some of the food recs, but diabetes has cut pierogies and cinnamon buns out of my diet :(

I wish I could take two full weeks off of work, but my job does not allow that to happen. I think 8 or 9 parks in 11 days is much more doable than my original plan.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Gender: Male
Age: 46

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby hoppedup » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:15 pm

One thing I hadn't figured on is that I get an additional week of vacation next year. So now I'm thinking this is going to be two trips. Trip A will cut CP, KI, and Kennywood and bump them to the second trip. And add Great Escape and SFNE. This should leave plenty of time to add Waldameer and Holiday World to trip B. One early June, one late August.

So it would look something like this: (9-10 days each)

Trip A:
SFA
SFGA
Dorney
Hersheypark
Knoebels
Great Escape
SFNE (maybe)

Trip B:
Kennywood
Waldameer
CP
KI
Holiday World
KK

Any thoughts on what order to do these trips in would be great!
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.
 
Posts: 571
Joined: 27 May 2007
Location: Central NJ native; Northern DE resident.
Gender: None specified
Age: 36

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:48 pm

For Trip A, that should be doable in 10 days. SFA and Dorney can be done in the same day, a day for Hershey Park, a day for Knoebels, a day for SFNE, and a day for SFGAdv (on your way back, it makes more sense this way). Great Escape seems to be a bit of way-out-of-the-way for a rather mediocre lineup with nothing really unique (unless you REALLY like Intamin Bobsleds). I'd recommend scrapping it and build in stops at Rye Playland, Quassy, and Lake Compounce, all of which are kind of "on the way" from Knoebels to SFNE.

For Trip B, I think you're spreading yourself too thin if you're only limited to 9-10 days. Cedar Point is a two, if not three, day park and most people will recommend 2 days for Kings Island as well (though I've been extraordinarily lucky with my trips there this year and in 2008). I'd cut out Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom and instead build some more time in for recovery periods.

Edit: You asked for orders.

Trip A:
Day 1: Drive north, hitting SFA and Dorney on the way. Stay near Allentown.
Day 2: All day Hershey Park. Stay near Hershey.
Day 3: All day Knoebels. Stay near there.
Day 4: Drive east, hitting Rye Playland, Quassy, and Lake Compounce, arriving near SFNE. Stay there.
Day 5: All day at SFNE. Stay there.
Day 6: Drive south, spend the rest of the day at SFGAdv. Stay in the area.
Day 7: All day at SFGAdv.
Day 8: Drive south to Wildwood, go to Morey's and drink. Stay in Wildwood.
Day 9: Drive south, taking the scenic route of the Cape May Lewes Ferry and Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, home.
(Alternative Day 8: Drive home the boring route through Delaware and the Baltimore/DC region).

Trip B:
Day 1: Travel day only. Drive north, stay near Kennywood.
Day 2: All day at Kennywood.
Day 3: Drive north, go to Waldameer, then head west for Cedar Point. Check into hotel, do whatever you can at Cedar Point.
Day 4: All day Cedar Point
Day 5: All day Cedar Point
Day 6: CP in the morning, drive to Mason Ohio, check into hotel, KI in the evening.
Day 7: All day Kings Island
Day 8: All day Kings Island
Day 9: Drive home
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Gender: Male
Age: 46

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby hoppedup » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Mike240SX wrote:For Trip A, that should be doable in 10 days. SFA and Dorney can be done in the same day, a day for Hershey Park, a day for Knoebels, a day for SFNE, and a day for SFGAdv (on your way back, it makes more sense this way). Great Escape seems to be a bit of way-out-of-the-way for a rather mediocre lineup with nothing really unique (unless you REALLY like Intamin Bobsleds). I'd recommend scrapping it and build in stops at Rye Playland, Quassy, and Lake Compounce, all of which are kind of "on the way" from Knoebels to SFNE.

For Trip B, I think you're spreading yourself too thin if you're only limited to 9-10 days. Cedar Point is a two, if not three, day park and most people will recommend 2 days for Kings Island as well (though I've been extraordinarily lucky with my trips there this year and in 2008). I'd cut out Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom and instead build some more time in for recovery periods.

Edit: You asked for orders.

Trip A:
Day 1: Drive north, hitting SFA and Dorney on the way. Stay near Allentown.
Day 2: All day Hershey Park. Stay near Hershey.
Day 3: All day Knoebels. Stay near there.
Day 4: Drive east, hitting Rye Playland, Quassy, and Lake Compounce, arriving near SFNE. Stay there.
Day 5: All day at SFNE. Stay there.
Day 6: Drive south, spend the rest of the day at SFGAdv. Stay in the area.
Day 7: All day at SFGAdv.
Day 8: Drive south to Wildwood, go to Morey's and drink. Stay in Wildwood.
Day 9: Drive south, taking the scenic route of the Cape May Lewes Ferry and Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, home.
(Alternative Day 8: Drive home the boring route through Delaware and the Baltimore/DC region).

Trip B:
Day 1: Travel day only. Drive north, stay near Kennywood.
Day 2: All day at Kennywood.
Day 3: Drive north, go to Waldameer, then head west for Cedar Point. Check into hotel, do whatever you can at Cedar Point.
Day 4: All day Cedar Point
Day 5: All day Cedar Point
Day 6: CP in the morning, drive to Mason Ohio, check into hotel, KI in the evening.
Day 7: All day Kings Island
Day 8: All day Kings Island
Day 9: Drive home


Thanks for the recs! We won't be needing much recovery time (well she might, but she can sleep while I drive) and driving long distances is not an issue. There won't be any drinking on this trip.

As for trip A, I'm thinking of picking my daughter up on her last day of school (June 8) and heading to KD for as much time as we can get in. I am an early riser so we shouldn't have any trouble knocking out SFA on Saturday and maybe even getting some evening rides in at Dorney. We have Platinum/Gold passes for CF and SF parks, so any of those we can go to in the evening are already paid for. The more I look at it, Great Escape does seem skippable. We aren't credit whores and most likely won't be doing Wild Mouse or kiddie coasters unless they are super unique and cool. SFGA on the way back sounds good. maybe even drop in on KD again on the way back home if the mood strikes. I will check out the smaller parks you listed.

As for trip B, KK has been a maybe since I first started planning this trip. We do plan at least 1.5 days at CP and KI. We also can take 10 days if necessary. Skipping KK would give us two full days each (or more) at CP and KI.

Also, we will mainly be riding coasters and flumes. Neither of us really care for MOST of the flat or dark rides that we have ridden and she won't do drop towers or tall swings (no idea why) that I do like. I know that puts us in the minority around here but it's how we like to enjoy parks.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14507
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby coasterbill » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 pm

I like Mike's plan, except don't go to Rye Playland. To get from Knoebels to Quassy, Lake Compounce and Six Flags New England you should take I-80 to I-81 to I-84. It's not worth dealing with 287 and the Tappan Zee (or whatever it's called now) bridge just to go to a terrible amusement park. :lol:

Their coaster collection sucks, the only reason to go there is to ride the Derby Racer and Old Mill. Their flume is good too... it's an average flume, but that's good enough to make it one of the top 2 or 3 rides at Playland by default.

hoppedup wrote:we will mainly be riding coasters and flumes.

Sounds like a great trip!

hoppedup wrote:There won't be any drinking on this trip.

... oh :lol:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Gender: Male
Age: 46

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby hoppedup » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:06 pm

coasterbill wrote:
hoppedup wrote:There won't be any drinking on this trip.

... oh :lol:


I drink a lot less these days due to diabetes anyway. And my ex has become Puritanical about it around my daughter. We will be taking a rental car and she will be a newly licensed driver so it really isn't that big of a deal. I will be dropping off a big box of local beers on my unsuspecting friend in Cleveland, though.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 14507
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby coasterbill » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:09 pm

:lol: I was making a joke. No need to explain yourself, you do you.

The only thing you need to explain is why you don't care for flat rides or dark rides. Hopefully you make an exception at Knoebels. ;)

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Gender: Male
Age: 46

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby hoppedup » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:21 pm

coasterbill wrote:
The only thing you need to explain is why you don't care for flat rides or dark rides. Hopefully you make an exception at Knoebels. ;)


I liked Flight of Fear, Blazing Fury, and half of Mystery Mine. Do those count for dark rides? :lol:

Honestly any ride that may upset my stomach (scrambler, frisbees, etc) might reduce my coaster riding time. And we can't have that.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 7304
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:20 pm

If you liked Blazing Fury, you have to ride Black Diamond at Knoebels. And really, ride Haunted Mansion, it's awesome. Probably won't upset your stomach. I have similar issues, but no problem with Haunted Mansion at all. It's a $2 upcharge, totally worth it. Lines at Knoebels go super fast, so don't worry about it taking up coaster time. You'll get right on.
Image

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”
User avatar
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Gender: Male
Age: 46

Re: East Coast/Midwest road trip 2018

Postby hoppedup » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:57 am

The first trip is nigh. Current itinerary (version 37 or so)

Saturday, June 9: Leave Greensboro NC around noon. Get 3 hours or so in at SFA Probably skipping Mind Eraser, Apocalypse, and Batwing unless someone has a good argument for any of them. We will plan on riding ME at SFNE since it appears to be much better from what I've read here. Three hours should be enough, I think?

Sunday, June 10: Knoebels.

Monday, June 11: Dorney/Hersheypark preview

Tuesday, June 12: All day Hersheypark, drive toward SFNE

Wednesday, June 13: All day SFNE, maybe Wooden Warrior at Quassy first, drive toward SFGAdv

Thursday, June 14: All day SFGAdv

Friday, June 15: Flex day. Back to SFGAdv if we didn't get everything in or just want more. Philly touristy stuff if not. Drive south a bit

Saturday, June 16: King's Dominion because it's on the way and we have Platinum passes. Drive home

Sunday, June 17: Relax

Monday June 18: Carowinds b/c it's close and I took that day off as well

We have platinum CF passes (and platinum dining) and Gold SF passes. I realize there is some backtracking in PA, but I really wanted to hit HP, SFNE, and SFGAdv on weekdays. From the map it would seem to make more sense to do HP on Sunday, then Knoebels, then Dorney, but I assume crowds at HP will be a lot lighter on a Tuesday.

One other option I've considered is dropping SFNE from this trip and going to Kennywood at the beginning.

As for the second trip, Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World are out and two days each at KI and CP are in. Maybe 2.5 days at CP.
Parks: 21 | Coasters: 142 | Wood: 39 | Steel: 102 | Fiberglass: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron