Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Christmas at Dollywood & finally riding Lightning Rod!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Postby boldikus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:03 am

Awesome report. Dollywood is the next big bucketlist park for me. Thanks for sharing!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:05 am

Great report!

I'm glad you finally managed to get on Lightning Rod. And yeah, Smoky Mountain Christmas is absolutely, 100% the best time of year to go to Dollywood.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:58 am

hoppedup wrote:Great report! We were in line four times for LR on our visit to Dollywood this year. It shut down three times, once when we were next in line. Luckily we got a walk-on (back row) and one train wait ride (front row) as we were preparing to leave the park. I can't wait to go back during the day. Our first rides on this coaster were after dark and that ride is seriously dark! It was interesting not knowing what was coming next.

Thanks! That's exactly why we took the first available row for our first ride. I wasn't going to let the ride close on me just because I waited an extra train or two for a more popular row. Doesn't the park evacuate the building too if it breaks down or can you still hold your place in line?

boldikus wrote:Awesome report. Dollywood is the next big bucketlist park for me. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! It's a fantastic park without Lightning Rod but an otherworldly park with Lightning Rod. I'd like to assume it should be smooth sailing for that ride going forward considering it's entering the third year, but the fact they can't consistently run two trains is still pretty worrisome.

coasterbill wrote:Great report!

I'm glad you finally managed to get on Lightning Rod. And yeah, Smoky Mountain Christmas is absolutely, 100% the best time of year to go to Dollywood.

Thanks! As frustrating as that coaster was to ride, it really did live up to all the hype and was worth all the struggles. I'm stunned you'd say Christmas is your favorite time to visit considering the flume is closed.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Brockton Fair & Story Land

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby hoppedup » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:
Thanks! That's exactly why we took the first available row for our first ride. I wasn't going to let the ride close on me just because I waited an extra train or two for a more popular row. Doesn't the park evacuate the building too if it breaks down or can you still hold your place in line?

We were told each time that we were free to wait on the platform until the ride was repaired. Twice they eventually told us to clear the platform as repairs could take 2 hours. The other time we just left on our own.
Parks: 20 | Coasters: 137 | Wood: 36 | Steel: 99 | Fiberglass: 2

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Ah ok that makes sense for lengthy downtime. Though I still wojld have been tempted to wait it out had I still not been on the ride.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby appel » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:
hoppedup wrote:Great report! I'd like to assume it should be smooth sailing for that ride going forward considering it's entering the third year, but the fact they can't consistently run two trains is still pretty worrisome

I guess they can run two trains consistently in the meanwhile, but they stack horribly. That's what someone said in the Dollywood forum.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Even running one train, I thought it took a noticeably long time for the train to get from the brakes through the station and finally have the restraints unlock. At that rate, I could very well see a second train completing the course just as the restraints unlock.

Postby jynx242 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:13 am

I'll agree that night rides on Lightning Rod are insane, but coming up to the quadruple down and seeing the holiday lights below you is truly epic. It's like "wow, pretty....oh my god....what's happening....airtime!!"

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:21 am

jynx242 wrote:I'll agree that night rides on Lightning Rod are insane, but coming up to the quadruple down and seeing the holiday lights below you is truly epic. It's like "wow, pretty....oh my god....what's happening....airtime!!"

I can only imagine if my first ride on Lightning Rod was at night. I barely could comprehend what was going on in broad daylight on my first ride.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby BlahBlahson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:47 am

My First ride on Lightning Rod two weeks ago, it was actually raining and at night. There were 700 people in the Entire Park and the employees informed me that they had cycled the train 19 times that day in total. I was by myself in the Front Row.

The rain hurt like balls at 70MPH and the ride soaked me for the rest of the night, but hot damn if that coaster isn't worth it. It's everything I imagined when they put it out there on August 7th, 2015. I can't believe they built it.

To be honest, the next time I go to Dollywood, I'm probably just going to enjoy my time doing other things in the park and ride literally nothing but 1-2 rides on Mystery Mine and at least 8-15 rides on LR. It's so freaking good. Just have to be wary during Smoky Mountain Christmas it WILL close at 40 degrees or under.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!