Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Christmas at Dollywood & finally riding Lightning Rod!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Postby cfc » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:50 am

I approve of Funtown's choice of "Fire on High" for their scrambler.
Last edited by cfc on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:50 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:09 am

Absolutely. It sure beats the pop songs used on Canobie and Great Escape's indoor scramblers.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Arnolds Park & Nickelodeon Universe/Mall of America

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:24 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Absolutely. It sure beats the pop songs used on Canobie and Great Escape's indoor scramblers.

Hey now. Not that I disagree with you because "Fire on High" is amazing, especially with the projections, but when I hit both parks a few months back, I got Darude's "Sandstorm" on both the Funtown thunderbolt and the Canobie scrambler in the same day. Epic both times. (If you're into that sort of thing, anyway.)
That coaster dad [333] and that coaster kiddo [193]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Storm Runner. Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Superman: Ultimate Flight.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:22 am

cfc wrote:I approve of Funtown's choice of "Fire on High" for their scrambler.

Seriously, that is one of the best ride soundtrack song choices I think I've ever heard of!
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:42 am

coneyislandchris wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:Absolutely. It sure beats the pop songs used on Canobie and Great Escape's indoor scramblers.

Hey now. Not that I disagree with you because "Fire on High" is amazing, especially with the projections, but when I hit both parks a few months back, I got Darude's "Sandstorm" on both the Funtown thunderbolt and the Canobie scrambler in the same day. Epic both times. (If you're into that sort of thing, anyway.)

Sandstorm would be perfect for an indoor scrambler or himalaya.

I think the last time I rode Great Escape's Blizzard I got Britney Spears. That was, well :(
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:
coneyislandchris wrote:

I think the last time I rode Great Escape's Blizzard I got Britney Spears. That was, well :(

How dare you!

Britney Spears is my Queen!

Given the chance, I would go box frenzy on that for days! :p :lover: :p

Guy "You cut me deep with your hatred." Koepp

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:40 am

Adult Night at the Boston's Children's Museum

Ok this update isn't of an amusement park. It's not even of a FEC. It's of the Boston's Children's Museum. I've done some things without kids like going to Story Land or Sesame Place that draw weird looks from everyone, but this would have definitely drawn red flags. However, every so often they offer an adult night. I finally attended and it was glorious. No screaming kids. Only 20-something year olds double fisting beers having the time of their lives in a museum designed for 4-7 year olds.

Outside.jpg
The museum has a great location on the water.

Upon entering the museum, you are greeted by a massive 3 story climbing maze that connects the bottom level to the top level. I believe I have seen something like this in the St. Louis City Museum TRs, but this one may be even harder since it's designed exclusively for kids. I'm a pretty skinny guy and I had a really hard time fitting through. I even saw a few poor souls get stuck and have to back out like a Mack truck.

But the highlight was seeing someone treat it like an army obstacle course. A macho man with a buzz cut waited for the maze to clear out and then went blitzkrieg the whole way through. Everyone clapped and cheered him on as he pulled himself through the tiny crevices at the end. He was sweating buckets open entering. Instead of being doused by a Gatorade bath, his entourage was waiting for him with beer.

And as a side note, the cruel structure actually has several dead ends along the way. So not only do you have to really squeeze through, but if you go the wrong way you have to climb back down and contort unnaturally to head in another direction.

Maze (Bottom).jpg
Why take the stairs when there's a climbing maze?

Maze (Top).jpg
It was pretty long and had several dead ends.

Maze (Inside).jpg
Hope you're ready to squeeze since this was made for kids.

They also had a ripoff of Legoland's Kid Power Tower. After strapping yourself in (or not like I saw many do), you can hoist yourself up a grand total of 5 feet learning about the power of the pulley.

Self Lift.jpg
Can you lift yourself 5 feet off the ground?

There was also jumbo bowling if you couldn't support half your weight. We skipped this activity since it had a sizable line, but basically you lugged a giant inflatable ball down a hallway and tried to knock over as many pins as possible.

Bowling.jpg
This was a slightly less impressive feat of strength.

If you're more into cardio than strength training, the Children's Museum has you covered with the most dangerous game of dancing dodge tag. 6-8 people step on the board. The music starts. And then it's a drunken frenzy to avoid the glowing light of doom on the floor. I say the game was dangerous since the board was covered in beer. For some reason, I have a feeling that isn't a problem on most days.

Dance Dodge.jpg
Beware of that evil orange light. If it touches you, you're out.

Don't worry, this update isn't entirely without a roller coaster. The museum also has a "Gravity Room" with jumbo sized marble runs. You could send your balls down a 15ft tall roller coaster complete with parabolic airtime hills. Most people had too little speed and valleyed. A few were successful. I sent my ball down the hill like an Arrow launched loop and subjected my ball to a little too much ejector air (I may or may not have hit someone in the back of the leg, oops...).

They also had one of those spiral things you see at malls, except instead of donating 25 cents you could use jumbo marbles. They also had a ski jump and loop-the-loop game that turned into pseudo beer pong. You would send your marble down a ramp and off a jump trying to make it land in the buckets at the bottom.

Roller Coaster Sign.jpg
Is this Dorney's Laser?

Roller Coaster.jpg
Grab a marble and send it down this course. Most valleyed, few made it to the end with the grace of a B&M hyper, but I gave my marbles a little too much ejector air.

Ski Jump 2.jpg
This turned into adult beer pong on this night.

Loop the Loop 2.jpg
So this is why everyone calls them loop the loops. Training kids from the start.

The top floor is themed to diversity. If you are easily offended, please stop reading this report.

They have a full scale Spanish-themed supermarket. I haven't spent too much time in Spanish themed supermarkets (Market Basket all the way), but this had some interesting items such as Cock Flavored (yes you read that right) seasoning and African phone cards. But in all seriousness, cock flavored seasoning! :lmao: The exhibit was pretty well set-up though and I could see kids having a grand old time in there. It kind of looked like the Kidzania things I've seen overseas.

Grocery Store.jpg
Still better quality produce than Walmart.

Grocery Store Shelves.jpg
Wait, what is that on the bottom shelf?

Cock Flavoured.jpg
I need some cock flavoring! I'm guessing it may be salty.

Africa Phone Card.jpg
Hello Africa.

Up next was the Boston Black area, a section dedicated to the African Americans in Boston. They had a David Ortiz photo opportunity and an interactive computer game. While the latter was supposed to be educational, we found it absolutely hysterical. Boston is considered one of the most racist cities in America and I feel like this game didn't help our cause one bit.

Boston Black David Ortiz.jpg
Hello Big Papi.

Guess my Family.jpg
Is this a trap?

Guess my Neighborhood.jpg
I'm sorry but I found this game hysterical.

They also had the John Smith Barber Shop where you could get all sorts of exotic haircuts (except not really).

John Smith Barber Shop.jpg
Such a white name.

John Smith Barber Shop Haircuts.jpg
So many exotic haircuts.

All night they had a dance floor open with a DJ. We spent our night exploring the museum, but after the exhibits closed we heard what was playing and absolutely died laughing. They were playing none other than I Want it that Way. All the 90s kids were fist pumping and dancing to the Backstreet Boys. That was really the perfect way to end the night.

Backstreet Boys Rave.PNG
Dance music? Nope. How about Backstreet Boys.

If you have kids, the Boston's Children's Museum is a must. If you have an inner kid in you, the Adult Night at the Boston's Children's Museum is a must. The museum is 3 floors of interactive exhibits and had shades of the City Museum mixed with a science museum.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:22 pm

Guy T. Koepp wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:
coneyislandchris wrote:

How dare you!

To each their own. She isn't someone who will get me fired up for a ride.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:
Guy T. Koepp wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:I think the last time I rode Great Escape's Blizzard I got Britney Spears. That was, well :(

How dare you!

To each their own. She isn't someone who will get me fired up for a ride.

This feels like a Toxic discussion.
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Carowinds

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby OrientZinger » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Keep an eye on the coaster at OOB, seems they are replacing it after this year. Parking attendant told us the new coaster will extend out onto beach. Guess we will see. My wife loved the area and the food!
Military Donkeys Rule!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!