Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Parc Astérix - April
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:43 pm

Awesome report!

If I had more vacation time, I would have had the chance to experience Gold Rush and Slagharen at the end of last year's TPR Oktoberfest trip. From POVs, it looked like the coaster would pack quite the punch and your review confirms that.

I agree the park looks fantastic. I love the Sky Ride passing over the pathways and then that wave swinger sure looks funky. That topper is huge!
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:52 am

Another excellent report! Thank you so much for sharing!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby JordyC » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:20 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Awesome report!

If I had more vacation time, I would have had the chance to experience Gold Rush and Slagharen at the end of last year's TPR Oktoberfest trip. From POVs, it looked like the coaster would pack quite the punch and your review confirms that.

I agree the park looks fantastic. I love the Sky Ride passing over the pathways and then that wave swinger sure looks funky. That topper is huge!

Thanks!

Gold Rush is very good coaster. It is a short ride, but the intensity and variety of elements more than make up for that.

I really enjoyed the cable car, especially how it takes you over the Mainstreet. And that wave swinger, yeah.. It certainly is unique :lol:

Hopefully you are able to experience this park in the future, if your vacation time allows it. ;)

jedimaster1227 wrote:Another excellent report! Thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you!
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Taiga - Linnanmäki 4. Untamed - Walibi Holland 5. Shambhala - PortAventura 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Taron - Phantasialand 8. Helix - Liseberg 9. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 10. Colossos - Heide Park

Coasters: 273 || Parks: 52

Parc Astérix || Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:24 pm

I'd love to visit Europe someday to go to some of these parks!
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Postby JordyC » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:45 am

cparkes92 wrote:I'd love to visit Europe someday to go to some of these parks!

What a coincidence, because I would love to visit some American parks! ;)
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Taiga - Linnanmäki 4. Untamed - Walibi Holland 5. Shambhala - PortAventura 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Taron - Phantasialand 8. Helix - Liseberg 9. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 10. Colossos - Heide Park

Parc Astérix || Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:14 pm

JordyC wrote:
cparkes92 wrote:I'd love to visit Europe someday to go to some of these parks!

What a coincidence, because I would love to visit some American parks! ;)

For a summer trip, some must-includes are Cedar Point and Kings Island
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Postby JordyC » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:37 am

Parc Astérix - April 2019

Hello everyone!

From April 15th to April 16th 2019, I went on a trip to Paris, France for my first ever visit to Parc Saint Paul, and my second visit to Parc Astérix. I spent the first day at Parc Astérix and my final day at Parc Saint Paul.

On April 15th, I visited Parc Astérix. Parc Astérix is located just outside of Paris, the capital of France. Since my last visit to this park a few years ago, the park has added a new coaster (Pégase Express), retracked two coasters and has built a new 4D cinema. The park is based on the comics of Asterix and Obelix. While I am not a massive fan of comics, I really like this park, its theming and the massive lake in the middle. The variety of rides at Parc Astérix is also very good. Combine all of this together, and you have the best non-Disney theme park in France, in my opinion. I really like this place.

Of course, the main reason for visiting Parc Astérix was Pégase Express, their new-for-2017 Gerstlauer Family Coaster. Parc Astérix is also home to a very solid wooden coaster, some good water rides, one of my favorite B&M Inverts and an excellent Mad House.

The weather that day was absolutely perfect. The park was very busy, though. Queue times exceeding 45 minutes were not an exception. The biggest queues were for Pégase Express and Tonnerre de Zeus, topping out at 70 minutes. Most of the other rides had a 30-50 minute wait. I decided to get an unlimited Fast Pass, which made sure that I could do all the major rides multiple times.

DSC_0001 - kopie.JPG
Welcome to Parc Astérix.

DSC_0407.JPG
It is the park's 30th anniversary this year.

DSC_0003 - kopie.JPG

DSC_0004 - kopie.JPG

DSC_0006 - kopie.JPG

DSC_0002 - kopie.JPG
First ride of the day - Splatch!

DSC_0012.JPG
Despite from the final double drop, the ride is quite boring, with no theming or music during the ride.

DSC_0016.JPG
Menhir Express was next. I really like this log flume - it will get you soaked! The top section is more like a rapids than a log flume. There even is an airtime hill after the first drop.

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

Trace Du Hourra (5/10)
I have done a lot of Mack Bobsled coasters, but Trace Du Hourra is still the best one I have done. It is long, it is fast, has lots of helices and even has quite a few head choppers.

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

SOS Numérobis (1.5/10)
Nothing special. Just a Zierer Tivoli coaster. It would have been nice if it had some theming, though.

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

OzIris (8.5/10)
I have heard a lot of different opinions about OzIris; some think it is okay, while others think it is one of the best B&M Inverts. I definitely tend towards the latter group. This ride is just super fun! I agree, it is not the most intense coaster out there nor are the inversions very snappy. But it is the complete package this ride offers that really makes it for me. The theming and the area is stunning, and the tunnel under water is just something else. The Dive Loop is really fun, and the two Zero-G Rolls give perfect weightlessness.

The ride starts with a climb on its lift hill, whereafter it drops you down towards the ground, without the usual B&M pre-drop. This makes sure that when you're towards the back of the train, you are really whipped into the first drop. After soaring very closely over the ground, you travel up in the unique Dive Loop, that gives some very strong G's at the bottom. A surprisingly intense overbank, sends you into the ride's vertical loop. Then you fly throug a small tunnel into an Immelmann. Another overbank guides you to the highlight of the ride - an underwater tunnel followed by a perfect Zero-G Roll. Flying out of this tunnel into the inversion, really caught me of guard every single time. It is so disorienting. The helix that follows is a bit forceless, but gives you some time to take a breath. Next, you drop down a small hill, that gives some nice flaoter airtime, that guides you into the ride's last inversion - another perfect Zero-G Roll. A final, high-G helix sends you into the brake run.

To put it short, I really love OzIris. And it looks so good! The theming and area are gorgeous. It is my second favorite B&M Invert, after Black Mamba.

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0113.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0135.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0076.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0177.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

DSC_0155.JPG
It spins rather fast, but won't get you wet at all.

DSC_0180.JPG
The new ride for this year is Attention Menhir! It is a 4D cinema, but not your standard one. It has a very funny pre-show (if you understand French) and the film is also quite funny. The 3D-film itself is of the best quality I have ever seen at a theme park. The special effects (no spoilers) are one of the best, too. Normally, I am not a big fan of this kind of rides. But I really enjoyed Attention Menhir.

DSC_0185.JPG
Attention Menhir!

DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0197.JPG

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0200.JPG
No Transdemonium..

DSC_0213.JPG

DSC_0216.JPG

DSC_0207.JPG

Goudurix (6/10)
Goudurix looks spectacular. That is what I said. Looks. The ride itself is all but spectacular. Although I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I remembered. True, there are a few uncomfortable transitions, especially the Butterly element. But apart from that, it actually isn't that bad. Maybe it is because I am rather small, so my shoulders don't bash into the restraints. Who knows. Also, it is probably one of the weaker themed rides at the park.

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0226.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

DSC_0248.JPG

DSC_0264.JPG

DSC_0240.JPG

DSC_0236.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0277.JPG

DSC_0256.JPG

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0305.JPG

DSC_0309.JPG

DSC_0308.JPG
You can have a nice drink high up in the air.

Tonnerre de Zeus (7.5/10)
I remembered Tonnerre de Zeus to be one of my favorite wooden coasters. It is quite intense, especially the first drop where you dive into a tunnel - it is insane! Probably the best drop on any wooden coaster I have done. It also has a good mix of floater and ejector airtime. The ride is also very, very long. It just keeps going. The first drop and the first turn have been retracked, which made the ride super smooth. But after the second drop, the ride gets very bumpy. It is not that bad, by any means. But I would rate this ride much higher if it were just a bit smoother. Some of the corners did really hurt. But the craziness of the ride more than makes up for that.

DSC_0317.JPG

DSC_0316.JPG

DSC_0324.JPG

DSC_0311.JPG

DSC_0323.JPG

DSC_0329.JPG

Vol D'Icare (3/10)
Since the last time I was here, Vol D'Icare has been completely retracked. This made the ride quite a bit smoother. The ride itself doesn't do very much. It is basically a small drop, a turn and brakes, and that a few times. It is nicely themed, though.

DSC_0334.JPG

DSC_0335.JPG

DSC_0354.JPG

Pégase Express (7.5/10)
The newest coaster Parc Astérix is Pégase Express. It comparable with FireChaser Express at Dollywood. And let me just ask why there aren't any more coasters like this? Because they are so much fun for the whole family. Pégase Express is very well themed, just like all the other rides at Parc Astérix. The ride starts with a rather quick launch out of the station, whereafter you make a small helix and drop down a drop that provides gives a small pop of airtime. You then climb up the ride's lift hill. Next, you drop down towards the lake travel over a couple straight and twisted airtime hills, all providing some minimal floater airtime. You twist and drop a few more times, before you go up the ride's final lift hill that leads you to the showroom. I won't spoil what happens in here, but it is something I'd never experienced before on a coaster. You then launch backwards towards the lake and go through a very twisty layout that guides you towards the final breaks.

DSC_0355.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

DSC_0365.JPG

DSC_0363.JPG

DSC_0351.JPG

DSC_0370.JPG

DSC_0376.JPG

DSC_0381.JPG

DSC_0387.JPG

DSC_0369.JPG

DSC_0394.JPG

DSC_0396.JPG

DSC_0395.JPG

DSC_0398.JPG
Le Defi de César is not just a standard Mad House. This one is very unique, with its unique theme and sequence. I still prefer Villa Volta at Efteling, but this one isn't far behind.

DSC_0417.JPG

DSC_0419.JPG

DSC_0420.JPG

DSC_0430.JPG

So overall, I had an excellent time at this park. The main highlight was OzIris. The other highlights were Tonnerre de Zeus, Pégase Express, Menhir Express, Le Defi de César and, just in general, being back at this beautiful park.

Thanks for reading!
Quality Over Quantity

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:30 am

^Awesome!

This theming of this park looks incredible, and with a great mix of rides too.

I especially like the looks of OzIris (like another rendition of Montu).

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Great report! It's already making me miss the park just a few hours after visiting. I agree OzIris and Tonnerre are the two stars.

Grand Splatch was playing music for me, but I agree there really isn't anything to look at. It's sort of surprising considering all the characters next to several of their other rides like the antique cars.

Was Goudurix worse on past visits? I'm almost wondering if it was retracked at some point because it isn't the headbasher I've always heard about.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby JordyC » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:55 pm

Intamin_coyote wrote:This theming of this park looks incredible, and with a great mix of rides too.

I especially like the looks of OzIris (like another rendition of Montu).

I really love the theming at this park as well. And OzIris has to be one of the best looking coasters out there.

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! It's already making me miss the park just a few hours after visiting. I agree OzIris and Tonnerre are the two stars.

Grand Splatch was playing music for me, but I agree there really isn't anything to look at. It's sort of surprising considering all the characters next to several of their other rides like the antique cars.

Was Goudurix worse on past visits? I'm almost wondering if it was retracked at some point because it isn't the headbasher I've always heard about.

Thank you!

Grand Splatch didn't play any music when I rode it. And like you said, it is weird that is basically the only ride at the park that isn't really themed and is just "a ride", without more.

I never really thought Goudurix was one of the worst coasters, but when I rode it last week it was definitely the smoothest ride I have ever had on it. I don't remember them retracking the ride, so I don't know what they did. But I approve!
Quality Over Quantity

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!