Kolmården photo TR: viking86 rides his first RMC...

...and sees some animals too! (and rants about Tusenfryd)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Kolmården photo TR: viking86 rides his first RMC...

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:54 am

I knew very little about Kolmarden outside of Wildfire, and ended up liking the park a lot. The cable-car safari and animal habitats were very well done--and Wildfire was excellent (particularly that last inversion--whew)! Getting around the place is quite a hike.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Turtle Wax » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:41 pm

SharkTums wrote:^Well, now I feel we should hear the story!

The park was just set up for failure.

It took about a half an hour to park because of no traffic control with people crossing the street from the parking lot to the park.

1 train operation on Thundercoaster the majority of the morning. I think we ended up waiting almost an hour and a half through the 1 train operation. Finally as we were about to get into the station they put the second train on (the park had been open for 4-5 hours by this point).

We ate at the Rockburgeren diner outside of Speed Monster and spend over a half an hour waiting for our food. After giving up waiting we walked up to the counter and were given our food almost immediately (and we didn't complain we just stood there and continued talking to each other) which seems to me they weren't paying any attention (there wasn't any line for food at this point in the day).

They had a sign posted that the Supersplash would be closing at 5:30P. We assumed this was so they could get people through the line and have the ride closed by 6P when the park closed. We showed up at the line at 5:13P and it was already closed off.

We ended up leaving the park before the 6P closing because nothing was open anymore besides the games.

The positives were that the Loopen crew and the Speed Monster crew (all 2 operators at each ride) seemed to move at a decent pace to get people through the lines.

The park was packed and it staffed to operate as if they were planning on it being one of the emptiest days of the year. We all agreed we wished we had spent a 3rd day at Liseberg instead of including Tusenfryd in our trip which is surprising because we all love visiting new parks!

---Not to completely hyjack Yngve's thread though, I agree the Safari ride was very cool! It gave a unique perspective on the animals as if the almost didn't realize people were floating above their heads. When you go to your typical zoo the animals usually just sit there and stare at you but we didn't get that from this ride. I just ended up having to ride it being pouty that I couldn't ride Wildfire that day. :P
-Bryan
1165 Magnum XL-200 Laps in 2010!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Turtle Wax wrote: 1 train operation on Thundercoaster the majority of the morning. I think we ended up waiting almost an hour and a half through the 1 train operation. Finally as we were about to get into the station they put the second train on (the park had been open for 4-5 hours by this point).

You forgot to mention that they spent 10 minutes swapping the trains as we were halfway through the line. Yes that's correct, they added a second train, but removed the first train from the ride, meaning that they continued with one-train operation until we were nearly at the station.

It should also be mentioned that with the line for Supersplash having been closed off, we decided to go ride Thor's Hammer (dark ride in the same area) as the line for this was open (it said on the sign that this ride would also close at 5:30). As we were almost ready to ride the girl who was operating the ride informed us that she had closed off the line too late, and would have to fill the ride vehicles to max capacity (six riders per car), meaning our group of four had to split up. I guess she had been ordered to close off the ride at 5:30...

Turtle Wax wrote:The positives were that the Loopen crew and the Speed Monster crew (all 2 operators at each ride) seemed to move at a decent pace to get people through the lines.

The Speedmonster crew has been pretty good on all my visits to Tusenfryd, and the ride has always been running two trains. The only example of bad operation I have seen on Speedmonster was last year when they closed off the line early and then had to re-open the line as they realized there would be no riders left to ride 20 minutes before the park closed.

Overall I think it's a sad situation, because Tusenfryd has the potential to be a good park. It has a very nice location, and a decent ride selection. But the poor operations just seems to ruin everything. The whole park just seems to be understaffed in every department. I don't want to blame the ride operators, because when it's the same pretty much throughout the entire park, and for several years in a row, you know the root cause for the bad operations lies with the park management... :(

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:57 pm

Wonderful 'perspective' shots of Wildfire from the gondola. Thanks, Viking86!
I really give credit to Kolmarden for creating such a unique safari experience. For animal and wildlife lovers, that is a true fantasyland! =)

Alice

Postby DILinator » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:45 am

viking86 wrote:Overall I think it's a sad situation, because Tusenfryd has the potential to be a good park. It has a very nice location, and a decent ride selection. But the poor operations just seems to ruin everything. The whole park just seems to be understaffed in every department. I don't want to blame the ride operators, because when it's the same pretty much throughout the entire park, and for several years in a row, you know the root cause for the bad operations lies with the park management... :(

So, what you're saying, is that Tusenfryd is the "Six Flags" of Norway! ;)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:03 am

DILinator wrote:So, what you're saying, is that Tusenfryd is the "Six Flags" of Norway! ;)

Pretty much, it desperately needs Parks and Resorts.
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:07 am

For myself, it follows along the same lines as Fuji-Q Highland park in Japan: Some great attractions there,
but the ride operations could be a bit....uh....better?

So Tusenfryd falls into "that category" for me. It did the first visit, and the same for visits #2 and 3.

IMhO. (Pardon the 'jump' to the other park, here.)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby viking86 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:29 am

DILinator wrote:So, what you're saying, is that Tusenfryd is the "Six Flags" of Norway! ;)

Yeah! Problem is that we have no other "good parks" to compensate. Tusenfryd is the only park in Norway which has something to offer for coaster enthusiasts, the remaining parks are all small parks aimed at families.

Nrthwnd wrote:(Pardon the 'jump' to the other park, here.)

Well, the visit to Tusenfryd was the day after Kolmården, I just wasn't planning to do a trip report from this park. But I think this discussion is fine in this thread, it was from the same trip afterall.
(I edited the topic sub-title slightly to reflect that ;) )

Actually I wasn't planning to visit Tusenfryd at all, until Bryan messaged me their trip plans and I decided to meet up with them. So yeah, thanks a lot Bryan! :lol:

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:54 pm

Nice report! Wildfire really looks awesome.
It's interesting (and good for you) that you got a better car than the one you paid for. I guess that's what most rental companies do when a certain model is not available but last year in Ireland the opposite happened to us :x Hope it doesn't repeat this year haha
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!