TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

Accident happened on Verrückt slide this afternoon. Statement will be out at 4:30 pm central time.

www.kansascity.com/news/local/article94254507.html

Boy, 12, dies on Verrückt slide at Schlitterbahn water park in KCK

A 12-year-old boy died Sunday afternoon on the tallest water slide in the world, the Verrückt, at the Schlitterbahn Water Park in Kansas City, Kan.

A park spokeswoman confirmed the death at a news conference Sunday afternoon. Schlitterbahn shut down after the accident and will remain closed Monday. The slide will be closed pending a full investigation.

“We are saddened to share that a young boy died on Verrückt this afternoon,” said Winter Prosapio, corporate director of communications for Schlitterbahn. “Given that safety is our first priority we have closed our Kansas City park and have closed the ride pending a full investigation. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family during this difficult time.”

Prosapio could not say whether the boy fell from the 17-story ride and she could not even say what time Sunday afternoon the incident occurred.

“We’ll have more details for you and we will share them,” she said, “but right now our focus is with the family.”

Off-duty Kansas City, Kan., police officers working security at the park called in the incident at 2:34 p.m. The police are working with the park on the investigation.

Verrückt opened in July 2014. Its German name means “insane.”

Riders must be at least 54 inches tall and are supposed to be at least 14 years old. It was not immediately clear why as 12-year-old was on the slide.

Riders sit in a three-person raft and are secured with straps across the waist and shoulders, like a seat belt. The chute drops 168 feet, 7 inches, and the raft hits speeds of 60 to 70 mph.

The opening of the Verrückt was delayed several times as the development team made adjustments.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article94254507.html#storylink=cpy

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the news conference:

http://fox4kc.com/on-air/live-streaming-sc/

And yes, Schlitterbahn representative has confirmed that the accident happened on Verrukt.

Winter Prosapio, spokesperson for Schlitterbahn, said the boy died on the Verruckt water slide, which is promoted as the world’s tallest water slide.

Source.

Oh man...that doesn't sound good.

I remember watching the TV show last year of them building it and having to re-profile it a couple of times due to the dummies flying out of the tube and chute. I have to admit that this slide does look freaking crazy scary!

I will be curious to know if this was a ride malfunction or another instance of someone not following park rules and regulations.

This is terrible. My thoughts are with the boy's family and anyone who witnessed the accident.

I am also intrigued if this was a ride malfunction or a lack of obeying the park rules. Either way, it's tragic.

Take it as you want to because it's from Twitter but witnesses have reported that the harness system was malfunctioning prior to this accident.

Riders must be at least 54 inches tall and are supposed to be at least 14 years old. It was not immediately clear why as 12-year-old was on the slide.

Per http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2014/07/09/verruckt-water-slide-schlitterbahn-park/12411769/ the age limit was removed years ago:

Three riders are weighted together on a scale, and combined must be between 400 and 550 lbs. Riders must be at least 54-inches tall, and while previously the park had instituted an age minimum of 14 years, they've since removed it, saying the height requirement is sufficient.

From what I have read on Twitter it seems that a small child (12 years old) was decapitated while riding Verruckt. But, it's Twitter, so it's not that reliable.

The person who tweeted this IS a reporter for Fox 4 Kansas City. And she hasn't removed her tweet about it being a decapitation.

So sad and I'm sending good vibes to his family.

From what I have read on Twitter it seems that a small child (12 years old) was decapitated while riding Verruckt. But, it's Twitter, so it's not that reliable.

The person who tweeted this IS a reporter for Fox 4 Kansas City. And she hasn't removed her tweet about it being a decapitation.

I've seen retweets of her post with comments about his head becoming caught up in the netting. I can't even imagine the sheer terror for everyone involved.

I've seen retweets of her post with comments about his head becoming caught up in the netting. I can't even imagine the sheer terror for everyone involved.

Would seem to require a harness failure, ejection, and striking the metal supports holding up the netting or some hole in the netting, if the outcome being tweeted is accurate. Such a tragedy.

People on reddit were being as you'd expect ("Omg so unsafe I'd never ride"), but there were a few people who said they were there and that there was blood everywhere. So it's probably blood...which is really creepy and really sad.

^^No, unfortunately it's not. Horrible.

Shot of some, at least, of the netting being removed by crews. Looks to me to be on the downslope of the second, smaller hill:

Edited by ilrider

^^No, unfortunately it's not. Horrible.

Oh dear lord above, I was sincerely praying for someone to say that slide was painted red. I can't even begin to imagine the devastation this family is feeling.

This is absolutely horrible! I can't even imagine what it feels like for everyone involved, such a tragedy!

I have been very intimidated of this ride since I saw that video of the tests where the boats were flying to the moon.