Shanghai Disneyland Grand Opening TR!

LOTS OF TRON!!!!!!! Ride Reviews and second day photos!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Shanghai Disneyland Grand Opening TR!

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:53 am

These are awesome reports, thanks so much!

I'm shocked that the cast members don't all speak Mandarin, moreso I think than that the park is less English friendly than others. I would think that at least after the initial opening rush the majority of the guests are all going to be Chinese. Seems so weird to have less English signage than, say, Tokyo Disney, but also not have everyone speak Mandarin. Was it because they brought in a lot of CMs from other locations, or just happened to be locals that only speak Shanghainese (I sort of assume most people in China these days speak at least decent Mandarin, but maybe I'm way off)?

Still, sounds very cool. Hopefully the incidents of fist fights will go down!
Read stuff I write (mostly about NorCal happenings) over at Coaster101!

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:07 pm

^There are a lot of cast members from Hong Kong, US and some from Europe I would assume. They are in Shanghai to make sure grand opening goes smoothly and continue training the local cast members because the park is still working out the bugs caused by the rushed opening. From what I see, a lot of the local CMs are still not trained enough to handle the scenes caused by ridiculous guests so basically the CM from HK and US were handling the situations. It is kind of chaotic because of all the different languages flying around but that's the best they can do honestly. I noticed a CM quality decline at HK Disney earlier and now I know all the good ones were in Shanghai.

And Shanghainese is basically Mandarin with an accent, there's only two major languages in China: Mandarin and Cantonese (Hong Kong and Canton area)

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Fantastic report, thank you for the very detailed play by play from your entire visit!!! I may never travel there so it's reports like yours that I can live vicariously thru. The list of Good and Bad experiences there was great too and the part about not seeing anybody peeing on the flowers was great ;) Regarding Adventurers Trail, is that a kids-only attraction? I've never ridden a motorcycle coaster so can you (or someone else) explain how you get in them and how the restraint works?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby GeorgeT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:21 pm

Incredibly detailled and informative report...thanks a lot ! =)

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:06 pm

TBpony414 wrote:Fantastic report, thank you for the very detailed play by play from your entire visit!!! I may never travel there so it's reports like yours that I can live vicariously thru. The list of Good and Bad experiences there was great too and the part about not seeing anybody peeing on the flowers was great ;) Regarding Adventurers Trail, is that a kids-only attraction? I've never ridden a motorcycle coaster so can you (or someone else) explain how you get in them and how the restraint works?

Definitely!
1. The Adventure Trail is good for people of all ages.
2. See the two pictures below, the traditional Vekoma Motorbike coaster has lap restraint attached to the handle bar. When you pull the handlebar towards you, the back restraint lowers towards your upper back. And there is a tilted box at each sides of the bike for you to put your feet in.

On the newly designed TRON vehicles, the back restraint and handle bar combo is the same but the shin restraint+box combo is replaced by a moveable shin guard that has tall sides and a small metal bar that closes to the back of your knees as you pull down the handlebar. The connecting part between two cars are flat walkways so you can walk around the car to access the Lightcycle at the other side of the train. Also the bikes are higher off the track than the traditional design, so the walkway at the beginning and end can cover up parts of the track to make you feel like you're on a race track rather than a roller coaster track. This new design made the loading and unloading so much faster than the original design.
image.jpeg
Photo from RCDB
image.jpeg
I think I'll get more spinning this way.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby MARK » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Fantastic trip report!

It looks great, but I just can't grasp what they're going for with the plantings at Adventure Isle... The mountain and the architecture would suggest tropical/jungle like plants, but in this image it looks almost european! Perhaps they're creating their own unique/hybrid environment.
thumb_img_2589_1.jpg

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:01 am

MARK wrote:...Perhaps they're creating their own unique/hybrid environment.

I like that idea about Adventure Isle. Mysterious, unknown, strange landscaping. :mickey:
In that photo, the trees could be a bit more 'exotic', but that's okay. Still looks great!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby MARK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:28 am

^Yeah if I remember correctly in some of the earlier press releases and descriptions, they were aiming to make Adventure Isle completely new and something people hadn't seen before in their parks. It's cool!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby BelizeIt » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:13 am

This park looks great! Disney has put a lot of thought into how it should be planned out.
As for the Pirates ride, I just watched a cool video enjoy.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nemza_RMyls (This video looks good with some fun commentary)

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:07 am

Stellar review, Yin. Thanks so much for sharing your story! Glad that the trek back to guest services about your 2 day ticket not reserving FP didn't cause any delays for you. The park looks fantastic! Loved the details you wrote about the attractions because I honestly didn't know shit about them.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!