Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Busch Gardens San Antonio Part 1
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby JG-77 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Nice report! For the record, Boardwalk Bullet was designed by Gravity Group (it's noted if you look at the bottom of its rcdb page). You were likely confused as the manufacturer is listed as Martin & Vleminckx, but these guys are actually the manufacturing company that installs most of GG's rides (GG mostly just designs the coasters, and possibly fabircates the trains and other parts, not sure). You probably didn't care about that, but now you know.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:13 am

Awesome reports as usual, Bill. I still can't believe that sh*t about the stadium but it's hilariously how quick everyone jumped on gaming the system for cheaper parking. I really enjoyed both the SF Texas parks when I was down there last year, and I'm hoping I can get the rest of the family on a plane down sometime in a cooler season so they can check them out for themselves. Didn't get a chance to make it out to Galveston but after your report that's a must-do next time we're down that way as well.
That coaster dad [336] and that coaster kiddo [216]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Raptor. Twisted Timbers. Fury 325.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks for posting... except now I have a shit song stuck in my head.

**ck you doo doo doo doo doo doo ;)

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cparkes92 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 pm

Can't wait for the Fiesta Texas installment!
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Married a Canadian » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:26 am

Love the Galveston report,

We cruised out of there last xmas (Disney) and thought it was great. Weather was s*** when we were there and it actually snowed in Houston (which made front page news...understandably!!) which didn't impress the Canadian and the Scot that much!

I feel the same as you with the Boardwalk Bullet. I got off wondering if I really should have enjoyed it as much as I did (it never seems to get many comments on this forum).

I am hoping you stopped at "Buc-ees" on your travels in Texas. We wish they would bring that place up to Toronto (and the UK). When they say everything is bigger in Texas...they ain't wrong...including their service stops! Stopping enroute to Montreal/Ottawa/London/Glasgow is so boring now compared to that place!
Top Rides:
1 X2 2 Tatsu 3 Twisted Timbers 4 Apollo's Chariot 5 Skyrush 6 Maverick 7 Iron Rattler 8 Leviathan (front row) 9 Phantom's Revenge 10 Millennium Force 11 Manta 12 Saw The ride 13 Mako

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:10 am

jlp94 wrote:Excellent report. That Poop Deck restaurant is so intriguing, whenever I get down to Texas for the first time (which is most likely going to be next May! Excitement!) I hope my parents put Houston on the itinerary, it sounds really cool.

Thanks!

**Checks age**

Um... just to be clear, the first and second statements are totally independent of eachother right. :lol:

boldikus wrote:Love it, another excellent update. Boardwalk Bullet was one of my first "bucketlist" coasters when I got one of my first TPR DVD's years ago. I still haven't ridden it but it looks wild. I just watched a POV tho. Still looks wild.

It is wild. You'd love it but don't get Grizzly'ed.

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! I also loved Boardwalk Bullet last year, but I remember seeing a lot of fresh wood. I can definitely see how a layout that aggressive could be brutal without TLC.

I agree that Star Flyer at Galveston is fantastic. There's nothing quite like swinging out over the water. That's why I actually really like Cedar Point's Windseeker when it actually decides to operate.

Same here. I know everyone's dancing on that ride's grave before it even dies but I like it and hope they keep it forever.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
In New York City or Hollywood (for example), drivers are very skilled but also colossal assholes. In rural Pennsylvania, people have no idea how cars or roads work and they believe that they get a dollar every time they tap the brake pedal on a wide open highway for no reason. They're not assholes, they're just absolutely incapable of operating a car. Texas is the best of both worlds. People are colossal assholes but also have no idea how to drive. Other than my first time driving in New York City I've never actually feared for my life while driving but Dallas... wow.

Nailed it.

Galveston is actually a pretty cool place and I probably like it better than most, if only because it is the closest beach to me. That's a cool story about the dive bar, but yeah that dude's a moron.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yup

bigboy wrote:I'm afraid that the new stadium is going to lack all of the charm of the old one (yes, it has some, I've grown fond over it in the last 25 years) and that they will keep the roof closed far more than it's open. I went to a game in April where there was rain around the area that missed the ballpark and the game time temperature was 70 degrees with a steady 15 mph wind. It was awesome. In the new stadium, the threat of rain would have likely kept the roof closed.

If I'm reading right, you did Dallas to Galveston to San Antonio in one day. That is some hellacious driving. Galveston is pretty touristy but still has a little grit that hasn't been whittled away by hurricanes. Port Aransas to the west near Corpus Christi is even more rough than Galveston.

Yeah, the concern about the roof is probably valid and you're probably right. Don't the Astros like to close it to make it louder or some bullsh*t?

And yeah, hellacious driving is kind of my thing. :lol:

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Oh my god you aren't lying about Texas drivers. They're in Orlando a lot and they're always either in a Sierra 2500 with 18 additional wheels cutting you off on the highway, then slowing down to 10 below the speed limit, or they're in an extended-length Tahoe making a right turn out of the left lane and nearly ending your life. Or, worse, they're a rental Tahoe with a Texas plate, which is even more unpredictable.

I f*cking love Boardwalk Bullet and the entire Kemah Boardwalk, too. I'm actually a big back-row fan of that coaster, the laterals are so crazy and aggressive but I would never accuse it of being rough, either. If you have "Thunderhead Derangement Syndrome", where you're a p*ssy and can't take Thunderhead, then you won't like Bullet, either.

Awesome reports, really loving it!

I love this entire post. Thanks!

coneyislandchris wrote:Awesome reports as usual, Bill. I still can't believe that sh*t about the stadium but it's hilariously how quick everyone jumped on gaming the system for cheaper parking. I really enjoyed both the SF Texas parks when I was down there last year, and I'm hoping I can get the rest of the family on a plane down sometime in a cooler season so they can check them out for themselves. Didn't get a chance to make it out to Galveston but after your report that's a must-do next time we're down that way as well.

Glad to hear it! I'd love to go back to Texas for a Holiday in the Park trip. The parks are great but the heat is not. :lol:

anonymouscactus wrote:Thanks for posting... except now I have a shit song stuck in my head.

**ck you doo doo doo doo doo doo ;)

Suffer

cparkes92 wrote:Can't wait for the Fiesta Texas installment!

One day...

Married a Canadian wrote:Love the Galveston report,

We cruised out of there last xmas (Disney) and thought it was great. Weather was s*** when we were there and it actually snowed in Houston (which made front page news...understandably!!) which didn't impress the Canadian and the Scot that much!

I feel the same as you with the Boardwalk Bullet. I got off wondering if I really should have enjoyed it as much as I did (it never seems to get many comments on this forum).

I am hoping you stopped at "Buc-ees" on your travels in Texas. We wish they would bring that place up to Toronto (and the UK). When they say everything is bigger in Texas...they ain't wrong...including their service stops! Stopping enroute to Montreal/Ottawa/London/Glasgow is so boring now compared to that place!

We never stopped at Buc-ees but we passed a few and thought it was the most excessive, Texas thing to ever exist :lol: .

JG-77 wrote: You probably didn't care about that

Nope ;)

Postby bert425 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:34 am

GREAT Galveston update (i missed it since we were on a plane to St. Louis when you posted it). So glad you commented so it popped back to the top of the page.

we haven't been to Poop Deck in years, but too funny - looks (and you describe it) EXACTLY the same.

glad you had a great visit.

Buc-ees is really only known for 3 things:

Clean restrooms
Jerky (lots of varieties)
Beaver Nuggets

when/if you make it back to Texas, be sure to pop in to try the last two. .they make great "car snacks" while sitting stuck in I35 traffic :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:49 am

coasterbill wrote:
jlp94 wrote:Excellent report. That Poop Deck restaurant is so intriguing, whenever I get down to Texas for the first time (which is most likely going to be next May! Excitement!) I hope my parents put Houston on the itinerary, it sounds really cool.

Thanks!

**Checks age**

Um... just to be clear, the first and second statements are totally independent of eachother right. :lol:

Lol I didn't mean it that way. Don't worry, I don't drink.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:15 pm

^^ Okay. I'll ask. So what the heck are Beaver Nuggets? :?r
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby bert425 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^^ Okay. I'll ask. So what the heck are Beaver Nuggets? :?r

here's a link to an article on the 5 best things to eat at Bucees

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/the-5-best-things-to-eat-at-buc-ees-the-convenience-store-of-the-gods-6430007

Note: #2 & #1 are Beaver Nuggets & Jerky, respectively.

if you don't wanna click the link, here's the pertinent info:

2. Buc-ee's Beaver Nuggets

Contrary to what these sound like, Beaver Nuggets have nothing to do with rodent droppings. They are, in fact, sweet, buttery corn puffs whose name is a nod to Buc-ee's beaver mascot. The nuggets are Buc-ee's No. 1 selling item among all stores, and even the smaller locations that may not carry fudge or bakery items carry Beaver Nuggets. They taste a lot like the kids cereal Pops, but bigger, plumper and more sugary. And they're really easy to eat in the car. Like, it's a little too easy to keep eating them until you stick your hand in the bag, wave it around frantically and find that there is not a single golden nugget left. Good thing there's another Buc-ee's on the horizon.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!