Photo TR: Castles n Coasters n Mini Golf!

Arizona's only Amusement Park - POV of Desert Storm!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Photo TR: Castles n Coasters n Mini Golf!

Postby chadster » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:04 pm

So while Garbles and I were in Phoenix we decided to stop by Castles and Coasters, afterall it's the state's only Amusement Park. And apparently we weren't the only ones with that idea.

Driving in we saw a busy atmosphere with vibrant colors and a multitude of people milling around. Parking in the overflow provide an opportunity to get in some cardio, which we both need, desperately.

The fact that we eat too much Texas BBQ aside, we met up with Billy who has been with the park for 10 years and has pretty much done about every job there. The park is under the management of the owners' daughter who took over from a less than stellar management team. And what a difference it's made. We found the park clean and well maintained, great systems in place for F&B, and operations that certain large amusement chains should be jealous of.

The Desert Storm was surprisingly smooth and delivered some unexpected G's, really good ride. Patriot, the Roller Skater knock off, somehow picks up all it's speed at the end of ride which again was kinda unexpected. And while most of you will be the ones to go in, credit whore, and leave, the park also offers a himalaya(any park with a himalaya gets my stamp of approval) an ARM Tower (also a no brainer) bumper cars/boats, a well themed log flume and three nice mini golf courses on top of a ropes course and zipline. Inside you'll find all the latest arcade and redemption games. So plan to stay more than 20 minutes, ok?

Have a look around and when you find yourself in Phoenix make it a point to stop by, ride a coaster or two and play some mini golf, you'll have a nice stress free time.

Castles and Coasters 249.JPG
Saturday afternoon and the place is hopping.
Castles and Coasters 002.JPG
So, the top of the Larson ARM tower matches the top of the food and party building. Coincidence?
Castles and Coasters 006.JPG
Ah yes, a classic Hopkins coaster, with not one, but TWO loopy loops
Castles and Coasters 012.JPG
Up Up and Away
Castles and Coasters 018.JPG
NO! Don't hit the light!
Castles and Coasters 021.JPG
Many parks these days don't provide you with a ton of photo ops, but here this is not the case.
Castles and Coasters 042.JPG
You can pretty much shoot the entire ride from anywhere in the park.
sandstorm.jpg
Seriously, this loop was pretty awesome.
sandstorm2.jpg
There's even a bit of theming during the ride, ok, maybe just a building next too it, but still it looks cool as you're passing by.
Castles and Coasters 091.JPG
Time to grab credit #2
Castles and Coasters 064.JPG
I still don't understand this lift hill but it works so that's all that matters. Some funky drawings on the way up to keep you entertained.
Castles and Coasters 075.JPG
Ah, there's some of the artwork.
patriot1.jpg
Check out the hood scoop. Fun fact, it was put in to mount cameras inside, but its closed off now so I figured why not show it off.
patriot2.jpg
It's about here that the ride picks up a ton of speed. Not bad at all and well people seemed to like at as they had a 3-4 train wait to ride.
Castles and Coasters 061.JPG
Very few amusement parks do this and i'm pretty sure SF and CF do not. Place your order and window 1.
Castles and Coasters 178.JPG
Pick any food items up and window 2. Line flows smooth, service is fast, food isn't expensive. The major chains should really take note.
Castles and Coasters 083.JPG
Love. Although it's not a hydraulic model, its still fun.
Castles and Coasters 086.JPG
My artsy side.
Castles and Coasters 095.JPG
Just once i'd like to see one of these go full circle.
Castles and Coasters 100.JPG
Sometimes in life there are things you cannot unsee. And since I can't unsee, you get to see :)
Castles and Coasters 133.JPG
Oh hi there
Castles and Coasters 137.JPG
I really do like the attention to detail in the flume ride.
Castles and Coasters 176.JPG
Mr. Elephant says you will get wet. It's a water ride.
Castles and Coasters 190.JPG
Every park has one.
Castles and Coasters 206.JPG
Zooming right along.
Castles and Coasters 209.JPG
Seriously, the maintenance team here deserves to be recognized.
Castles and Coasters 211.JPG
Makeout tunnel.
Castles and Coasters 212.JPG
Garbles loves the Hopkins almost as much as he loves planes.
Castles and Coasters 214.JPG
So the park opened in 1977 with the bumper boats and mini golf.
Castles and Coasters 219.JPG
And then these came along.
Castles and Coasters 220.JPG
No exactly sure what's going on here....
Castles and Coasters 234.JPG
So yeah, mini golf fans will love this place
Castles and Coasters 235.JPG
Three courses, all very nice.
Castles and Coasters 246.JPG
You can even semi fly over them.
Castles and Coasters 247.JPG
Or if you like, get more athletic.
Castles and Coasters 228.JPG
So with that, time to wake up Garbles and head back to the Big D.

Seriously, when you are in town stop by, its a fun place and the people were all very friendly. Great way to kill an afternoon or evening.

Comment away!
Last edited by chadster on Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:37 pm.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Castles-n-Coasters-n-Mini Golf!

Postby larrygator » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:16 pm

I did not know of your forbidden Himalaya love.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby gromithere » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks for posting. Planning to visit a friend in Phoenix next month, and this was on my list of things to do that weekend. :) Looks like a fun little partial day park. Glad to hear the coasters ride relatively smooth...I wasn't sure what to expect from a Hopkins coaster since there aren't many of them.

Postby chadster » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:19 pm

larrygator wrote:I did not know of your forbidden Himalaya love.

I have a severe weakness for the original Reverchon Himalayas. While the newer, not as well made ones are still fun, I'm a sucker for the classic. Only one of them touring the US festival circuit owned by Wade Shows. Very few of them exist in US parks nowadays.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby bf9 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Being a local in Phoenix, I wouldn't exactly say that Desert Storm is smooth...the lap bars do help a little bit and the front seat is tolerable. I had smoother rides on Viper at SFMM in early October than most of my rides on Desert Storm anywhere but the front row over the years. Maybe you caught it on a good day or something.

Plan to be there two to three hours at the most, it can be fun, but don't expect much. Drop tower is better than Lex Luthor though, those Moser(pretty sure Skydiver is)/ARM style towers are no joke.

Postby chadster » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:47 pm

The drop tower was confirmed by the park to be an ARM/Larson make. #madeintexas

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Re: Photo TR: Castles n Coasters n Mini Golf!

Postby Jakizle » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:30 am

I was very much so surprised by the park. It was very clean, vibrant, and good theming everywhere. I also like the Hopkins loopers because they are so funky - and this one was no exception. It felt smooth, the loops were very forceful and I liked the funky banking/turning aspect of the second one. I would definitely go back if I was in the area!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:36 am

Nice trip report! I knew about Desert Storm, but very little about the park. Looks like quite a nice place to spend a few hours.

Jakizle wrote:I was very much so surprised by the park. It was very clean, vibrant, and good theming everywhere. I also like the Hopkins loopers because they are so funky - and this one was no exception. It felt smooth, the loops were very forceful and I liked the funky banking/turning aspect of the second one. I would definitely go back if I was in the area!

Funny you should say that, after looking at the video and seeing the trackshaping and transitions, smooth is not the first word I'm thinking of. But I guess looks can be deceiving some times...

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby VegasBaby » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:33 pm

Great trip report, this looks like a fun little park. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Phoenix.
Coaster Count: 211 Last Coaster: GhostRider
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Lightning Rod 9) Mako 10) Storm Runner

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:11 am

Desert Storm didn't look half bad in that video--nice little park.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!