TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Credit

Okay, so obviously any rollercoaster that just exists how it is counts as a credit, but do RMC'd rides (New Texas Giant, for example), or Larson super loops count? And if you've ridden more than one Vekoma boomerang, do they count as different coasters even though they are the exact same thing? How does that work for clones in general, like the Tempesto duplications?

ANDDDD what about things like pipe scream at CP that aren't roller coasters but technically they are?

And for racing rides, do both sides count as a single coaster or does each side count as its own credit? I'm sure there are examples I'm missing, but I couldn't find a thread to talk about things like this.

I think most of these are going to be personal opinions, but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another note - I have personally stopped counting coasters entirely. A lot of people ask why, and while at one point I was more obsessive about it, I've come to realize that it simply just doesn't matter. Nobody will get any additional blowjobs for the amount of coasters you've ridden, there is no award to win, no metal to wear, no fruit basket to collect, and other than some sort of bragging rights on the internet or posting a picture of yourself on your Facebook page holding a number sign (that most of your friends are probably laughing at), nobody really cares. I now just go to have fun, ride what I want to ride, and just enjoy myself. I go to parks to ride roller coasters and have fun, not worry about how many coasters I've ridden or how many laps I've taken. I can't even tell you the last time I went out of my way to ride a kiddie coaster on my own. (unless we were doing filming because the world needs HD Wacky Worm footage! lol)

My suggestion would be if you really do feel the urge to count is find a milestone that you would be happy reaching, reach that milestone and then stop counting and just go and have FUN riding stuff. Otherwise you'll find yourself running out of "credits" to get and start doing international trips to ride kiddie coasters or Butterfly shuttles. And at that point, IMO, you've completely lost what being a theme park enthusiast is all about, and you're just obsessive to the point of being ridiculous. When you find yourself riding powered coasters in Bahrain, that's when you know you've gone WAAAAAY too far!

Edited by robbalvey

On another note - I have personally stopped counting coasters entirely. A lot of people ask why, and while at one point I was more obsessive about it, I've come to realize that it simply just doesn't matter. Nobody will get any additional blowjobs for the amount of coasters you've ridden, there is no award to win, no metal to wear, no fruit basket to collect, and other than some sort of bragging rights on the internet or posting a picture of yourself on your Facebook page holding a number sign (that most of your friends are probably laughing at), nobody really cares. I now just go to have fun, ride what I want to ride, and just enjoy myself. I go to parks to ride roller coasters and have fun, not worry about how many coasters I've ridden or how many laps I've taken. I can't even tell you the last time I went out of my way to ride a kiddie coaster on my own. (unless we were doing filming because the world needs HD Wacky Worm footage! lol)

My suggestion would be if you really do feel the urge to count is find a milestone that you would be happy reaching, reach that milestone and then stop counting and just go and have FUN riding stuff. Otherwise you'll find yourself running out of "credits" to get and start doing international trips to ride kiddie coasters or Butterfly shuttles. And at that point, IMO, you've completely lost what being a theme park enthusiast is all about, and you're just obsessive to the point of being ridiculous. When you find yourself riding powered coasters in Bahrain, that's when you know you've gone WAAAAAY too far!

I'm just gonna guess you coaster credit is at least 1700.

Nobody will get any additional blowjobs for the amount of coasters you've ridden

And a crying shame that is, too!

Personally, I have definitive opinions about what constitutes a coaster or not, and also less particular ways I assign single or dual credits to rides. I also do keep track of my count multiple places. But I think what Robb said is really true as well... If people are getting so obsessed about counts, and credits, and what is and isn't a coaster, they're missing the point of what riding these lovely creations is really all about. And that's to have fun! I don't really worry too much about milestone coasters either, personally, because there were so many random coasters I rode when I was a kid, that I don't even recall or remember, that whatever my count is, is probably inaccurate really anyway. And at the end of the day, nobody really cares but me!

I will say that non-enthusiasts are always impressed when I say how many parks I've been to, and how many coasters I've ridden, and my count is significantly less than many of you! (It's in the 220's) They also come to me for any coaster or park related information, and I developed a reputation among my social circle of being the "Cedar Point Guy" that was cool to go do the park with since I knew it backwards and forwards. So people don't always think us enthusiasts are "dumb". However, there is a limit, and I always tried not to be too enthusiast-y around them, because there's a fine line between being informative, and annoying!

To directly answer the OP's question, personally, I wouldn't dream of counting those fair rides SF put in a coaster, nor do I count rides like Pipe Scream. I also consider racing coasters to be one coaster, even though there are two sides. And while a relocated coaster like Dominator or Thunderhawk is NOT a new credit, a ride with a completely new ride experience like Rougarou IS! But those are just personal opinions. Arguments can be made to the contrary for all of them, some more effectively than others.

powered coasters in Bahrain

Wow man, you really must have hit rock bottom there for a while. It's good you decided to get your act together and quit that stuff (the counting)

As far as I see it, you can count whatever you want as a credit- I see people's signature things with how many they've ridden and maybe think "Wow I hope someday I can go to all those cool places" but like Robb mentioned, it's not going to help you win friends and influence people. I can see how counting credits might help you feel a sense of accomplishment, strive toward a goal, or you just like it, so don't worry about it and count whatever you feel should be a credit. No one will point and yell, "bailybrucem's cheating!" if you count "wrong"

I would definitely not count a Superloop as a coaster, I will say that much

Like the people before me said the number only has meaning to yourself.

I still count my credits but I still use modesty in choosing my rides. I'm an organised guy so a few years back I made (and I know some might find this going too far but it helps me not to go too far myself) an Excel file with parks I like to visit. On this file I keep track to what parks I visit and want to visit one one page, how many rides I ridden on the next (I just want it one day to reach a number higher then 200. It's for myself, because that number screams more Coaster enthusiast then 60) on the next page. And then I have a page for each country, there stand the name of the park and underneath that each coaster marked in color so I can see which I did and wich I need to do. Too keep a little modesty in this all I make it difficult for a park to enter that list (some parks have to rely on other parks nearby to reach it) so I won't see myself riding a power coaster in Bahrain like Robb said. Oh and I avoid kiddie coaster cause they're for kiddies not for grown ups.

As to what I count as credits? I look at RCDB for that, I know they're not the once to decide what's a coaster and what not, but it helps me get enough rides out of the way that come extremely close but just aren't coasters.

But there is one thing I always make sure that having fun is more important then the number of credits so far.

powered coasters in Bahrain

Wow man, you really must have hit rock bottom there for a while. It's good you decided to get your act together and quit that stuff (the counting)

Ha! That was not me. We never got that pathetic!

I can see how counting credits might help you feel a sense of accomplishment, strive toward a goal, or you just like it, so don't worry about it and count whatever you feel should be a credit.

This is my whole point. I realized that after I got to probably 500, it really didn't even matter. If I told some random person "I've been on 200 roller coasters" they be all "Wow, that's crazy!!!!" Then when you get to 500 or even 1,000 people start to look at you like "Wow, really? You're completely nuts." I stopped counting in 2012 and I was just shy of 1,500. I have no idea what I'm at now, nor do I care. In fact, most of the time when people ask me "what is your count" I tell them "I don't count." The only time I even mention it anymore is when some TV show or news reporter wants some factoid. And to be honest, sometimes I've just say "over 1,000" because I actually think telling them 1,500 makes you look a bit obsessive and weird. Because when you tell someone you've been on 1,500 roller coasters, that means at some point there was a lot of Wacky Worms in your life, and I'm honestly now a bit embarrassed about some of that.

That's why I say find a goal that gives you some sort of personal satisfaction, and then stop counting and just have fun! And if you're one of those people who wants to just keep counting, that's fine as well. But just remember there is no "winner" in this race, and I'll be not-so-quietly judging you as well!

Here's the kind of person I don't "get" ... We have had people tell us they weren't going to do a tour because "there's not enough new credits for them" and I would be all "but we are going to parks like Europa Park, Phantasialand, Holiday Park, Mirabilandia, Efteling, Parc Asterix, Heide Park...all with amazing and awesome coasters!" and they would say "Yeah, I've been on all those...We're gonna travel to some crappy place and ride kiddie coasters instead to pad our coaster count..."

Seriously, if money is not an issue why would someone not want to go back to all those awesome places just because there aren't enough "credits." IMO, that's when you know someone has totally lost focus of the hobby, and that's not what we want to promote anymore.

I no longer promote "counting credits" and I now encourage people to just "have fun" at parks. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!!!

Edited by robbalvey

I don't care much about my count any longer either ('m around 140, give or take a few). For me the important thing is to ride good coasters that I have fun on. I'd rather go back to a park to ride good rollercoasters I have been on before, than to waste time getting on a crappy kiddie coaster that I have not ridden before. Heck, I've been to BGT twice and I haven't been on their mouse coaster yet.

But as Robb said, it's all about doing what you think is fun!

Here's the kind of person I don't "get" ... We have had people tell us they weren't going to do a tour because "there's not enough new credits for them" and I would be all "but we are going to parks like Europa Park, Phantasialand, Holiday Park, Mirabilandia, Efteling, Parc Asterix, Heide Park...all with amazing and awesome coasters!" and they would say "Yeah, I've been on all those...We're gonna travel to some crappy place and ride kiddie coasters instead to pad our coaster count..."

It's this kind of logic that is just sad. Obviously it's good to try new things here and there, but to turn down such major parks for a smaller park of less consequence is mad!

It's this kind of logic that is just sad. Obviously it's good to try new things here and there, but to turn down such major parks for a smaller park of less consequence is mad!

Exactly. We got to the point where we started running out of "new coasters" to ride, and we absolutely could have done some trip to like South America for example where there are a TON of new "credits" for us, but other than a couple of SLC's and a woodie that doesn't get much praise, the majority of that part of the world is a lot of crap. So we choose to go back to places we've been before to ride coasters we like over "mopping up" crappy coaster credits.

Even when we went to places like India last year. We went to the parks that interested us the most, skipped a lot of the crappy kiddie coaster parks, and went and did other things instead. There were three or four parks that were between 30-60 minutes of where we were at in Mumbai, all with kiddie coasters or spinning mice, and we skipped them. It just wasn't worth it to us anymore. Who cares if your "coaster count" is 536 versus 541. Nobody.

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!!!

Exactly. We got to the point where we started running out of "new coasters" to ride, and we absolutely could have done some trip to like South America for example where there are a TON of new "credits" for us, but other than a couple of SLC's and a woodie that doesn't get much praise, the majority of that part of the world is a lot of crap. So we choose to go back to places we've been before to ride coasters we like over "mopping up" crappy coaster credits.

Even when we went to places like India last year. We went to the parks that interested us the most, skipped a lot of the crappy kiddie coaster parks, and went and did other things instead. There were three or four parks that were between 30-60 minutes of where we were at in Mumbai, all with kiddie coasters or spinning mice, and we skipped them. It just wasn't worth it to us anymore. Who cares if your "coaster count" is 536 versus 541. Nobody.

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!!!

75 credits, btw (coaster n00b, I know).

Going off what I was saying above, at one point, we were considering a Brazil trip. We looked at all the parks we could possibly hit and this is what we came up with...

1309995654_ScreenShot2015-08-23at17_50_54.png.bb9737b2f84211b1fbf537d74f7b3244.png

Other than one or two somewhat interesting parks, it was pretty much all crap. And that doesn't even include about another 20-30 small indoor kiddie coasters at family pizza places that we instantly excluded. That trip would have been anywhere between 35-50 "credits" maybe even more if we opted to do some of those kiddie coasters. This was the point a few years ago in which we said "Why would we go out of our way and spend a lot of money to ride total crap when we could go back to really nice parks and re-ride some of the best coasters in the world?"

And that's pretty much what we've done ever since!

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!!!

Edited by robbalvey

I am definitely on the more "Credit Whore" side of what Robb is talking about, i do count, and i will go out of my way to ride Wacky Worms (And suffer Robb's laughs for alot of it). I have changed over the years though to i want to go places with friends, and see new things. Sometimes it is not just for the coasters. I have been to some off the beaten track parks (went to Indonesia this spring), and while they may not have the most OMFG crazy intamin rides there were some beautiful parks.

At the end of the day though, if i could choose between Indonesia with Friends or Europa by myself, i would choose Indonesia. It is not just about getting my count up, its about the time at Dinner, the time hanging out in line, and just being with people you enjoy. I am going to WCB in a few weeks and i think i need a grand total of 3 credits in Southern California (one isnt even at one of the WCB parks). i'm going because i will get to meet up with friends from the UK, Australia, and all over the US that i otherwise wouldnt get to see.

I do agree that over 500, people just think you are crazy!

Here's the kind of person I don't "get" We have had people tell us they weren't going to do a tour because "there's not enough new credits for them" and I would be all "but we are going to parks like Europa Park, Phantasialand, Holiday Park, Mirabilandia, Efteling, Parc Asterix, Heide Park...all with amazing and awesome coasters!" and they would say "Yeah, I've been on all those...We're gonna travel to some crappy place and ride kiddie coasters instead to pad our coaster count QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!!!

I would have loved to go on a tpr europe tour and I hate that the whiners ruined that chance .

I also agree with your thoughts of quality over quantity as ive always found adults that ride kiddie coasters to increase a pointless number to be sad at best.

Regarding powered coasters as credits as well, whilst I don't count them as credits by any means, I don't think the notion that something isn't a credit should make people think it's a waste of time either. I've been on powered coasters which are faster or more exciting that some cheekier credits, and I'd therefore pick the powered coasters if presented with that option.

Likewise goes for favouring credits over dark rides, water rides etc.

I am definitely on the more "Credit Whore" side of what Robb is talking about

You?!?! NEVER!

Ive ridden one or 2 Wacky Worms....

yes, you can go to Orlando, New York, or Nashville to have dinner with your friends, but it also is the culture. I am planning a trip next year to a country that has 3-4 nice parks, the rest is crap. However it is a beautiful country and i am excited to see some of the culture with friends while riding 1 or 10 Wacky Worms!

Before this thread I had a slight sense of shame that I skipped kiddie coasters, really the amount of people on this site that ride it for the credits here is in my eyes huge. I'm relieved to hear I'm completely sane as to skip them as a grown up coaster enthusiast makes me happy.

I count yeah, but still if I were to choose between a park that has 10 credits versus 4 credits I will pick the park with the rides that Interest me the most, even if it's that park of 4 credits, ask me about the same parks again next year and I again pick the one with the interesting rides.

This year I might get 5 credits (only have 1 this entire year right now) and that's enough. I still don't like how this year went but thats because my ex-girlfriend literally had me miss some awesome parks I really liked to have visit this year, not because I "only" got to ride 5 new coaster instead of 20 or so.

Count me in as someone who really isn't bothered about counting credits. When I go to a new park I am more interested in re-riding the good coasters, rather than wasting my time queuing for a coaster i'm not bothered about riding just to up my coaster count. For example at Carowinds recently we skipped Carolina Cyclone and the Boomerang and rode Fury a load more times instead! A much more fun way to spend time at the park imo but each to their own.