The Parks of Arkansas and Oklahoma

Magic Springs, Frontier City, and Kiddie Park Bartlesville
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Parks of Arkansas and Oklahoma

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Can adults ride Diamond Mine Run alone or do they need a kid?

Sorry but I haven't been on TPR in a few days
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:14 pm

^ Adults can ride alone. As long as you're 42" or taller, you're good! No upper height limit or other restrictions.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby coastercrazi » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:20 am

Wow! I live quite close to frontier city, yet i have always sorta overlooked it! Seeing pics of it makes it look incredible!!
Crazi :lmao:

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Jaykethekid » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:10 am

Frontier City is improving at an astonishing rate, and I have to give credit to the whole park team, but one person who has had a large impact at the park is Michael Schwitek. He has a true love for the park, and has really made the place one of my favorite theme parks I have been to. IF you go back about 5 or 6 years, the operations were horrible at about 5-7 minute loading times, but now they average around a minute! Also all the buildings and rides are maintained very well!

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:27 am

Great report...very colorful insight with nice photos of the rides, coasters and theming.

I remember going past Frontier City on our way to Las Vegas when I was a kid. I always wanted to stop, but my folks weren't into amusement and theme parks at the time and we were usually on a schedule. It looks like the park has really expanded and turned out quite nice!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby PhilNotPhil » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:44 pm

coastercrazi wrote:Wow! I live quite close to frontier city, yet i have always sorta overlooked it! Seeing pics of it makes it look incredible!!

If you live near here and have never been, it's a must. Charming little park. I just don't go (much) because I spent 8,000 hours of my childhood there and it's old hat.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:13 pm

Week 3: Kiddie Park Bartlesville
The Bartlesville trip was delayed due to illness, but we finally got to it this past weekend. We spent most of the day at Woolaroc, which is a very worthwhile non-theme park attraction for those of you who like to do more on vacation than just ride coasters. It's a wildlife preserve and museum on the site of oil tycoon Frank Phillips' ranch.

Once Woolaroc closed around 5, we headed out to Dink's for some barbecue (Special thanks to Shavethewhales for the recommendation!). It was very good, and there was far too much. We were able to box it up and it was dinner the next night as well. The ribs are amazing, and the brisket was quite good as well.

Then on to Kiddie Park, which is only open on Friday and Saturday evenings from 7-10pm. Really odd hours for a park catering to small children, but it was packed! It was really an awesome sight to see how well it was doing. Parks like this don't really exist anymore in a lot of places, but Bartlesville really treasures theirs.

There's only one roller coaster, a Herschell oval, but they have a bunch of flat rides that cater to young children. Some are very old, but Adventure and Pirate Ship looked new-ish. There's no admission fee, and all the rides are 50 cents each. Adults do pay if they accompany a child on a ride, and there are about 3-4 rides that adults can ride with their children, including the roller coaster.

The roller coaster actually has 3 names, "Roller Coaster," "Little Dipper," and "Little Fire Ball." Call it what you like; I like Little Fire Ball the best, since it's at least somewhat unique. My son and I rode it 3 times.

No, I didn't just go out into the middle of nowhere for a kiddie coaster; this one is special. My dad rode this one when he was a kid, and I went on it when I was little. So taking my son on this coaster is a pilgrimage, if you will. There aren't a whole lot of coasters out there that have stuck around long enough to see 3 generations.

On to the photos!
20150822_194549.jpg
Rocket blast rocket rocket!
20150822_194836.jpg
Bartlesville skyline in the background
20150822_195724.jpg
Train station. Some guests on the train were commenting that this is an actual Santa Fe station relocated from a town that no longer has passenger service. I don't have any idea if there's any truth to that. Sorry about the quality; it's really far outside the park, and I had to take this at a pretty intense zoom.
20150822_192929.jpg
I thought it was a really good value.
20150822_192952.jpg
The fact that this is sponsored by a collision repair shop encourages me greatly.
20150822_195734.jpg
Intense theming.
20150822_195843.jpg
20150822_203051.jpg
Turtles. I've never seen a ride like it.
20150822_204440.jpg
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies....
20150822_205604.jpg
Aquarius--another ride I've never seen before. I don't do spinning rides, but my wife and kids loved it.
20150822_205647.jpg
Midway
20150822_205930.jpg
More midway
20150822_205900.jpg
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a clown in a cage."
20150822_213959.jpg
Call it what you like. It's not self-conscious like SOME coasters we know.
20150822_220304.jpg
Three hours was not enough. We had a great time!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Voyager6442 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:49 am

The 2017 Arkansas State Fair runs from October 12-22. The Zipper is probably my favorite flat ride, but I've only gotten one ride on it. Is there a guy out there who would like to meet and ride the Zipper multiple times? Any day except Saturday works for me. Thanks.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/66bff188a2852cf249c0ef008f477695.jpg[/img][/url]

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:52 am

Magic Springs gs could really be something nice if they just added a couple of cheaper coasters out of a grouproblem like a GG woodie like Switchback or Mind Blower. One of the new vekoma's dessigns, new style vekoma trains for Guantlet or Mack or gerstlauer spinner. A Star flyer ad zamperla flat package would round it out.

The water park ould add a water coaster and a drop box slide tower and it would be really, really good.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:58 am

Great reports! I always forget about these out-of-the-way parks, particularly Magic Springs. I had completely forgotten they have a Maurer Sky Loop there. Whenever I see those rides, I always think European or Asian, so I needed a reminder that the USA has one! Hahaha. Sad that Arkansas Twister was closed though.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!