Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:55 pm
I'll update this later this year once I've visited MIA and CW.
1. Cedar Point
2. Knott's Berry Farm
3. King's Island
4. King's Dominion
6. California's Great America
Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:18 pm
1. Cedar Point
2. Kings Island
4. Kings Dominion
5. Canada's Wonderland
6. Knott's Berry Farm
7. Dorney Park
9. California's Great America
10. World's of Fun
11. Michigan's Adventure
Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:37 pm
No Carowinds yet. I will visit it for the first time this May.
1. Cedar Point (Maverick, Millennium Force, Raptor, and Magnum make up 4 of my top 11 steel coasters (out of approx 200). No other park from any company can come close to that. And the rest of the collection is well rounded save for the glaring omission of a quality wooden coaster. Plus an unbeatable location, variety of flats, and top notch operations)
2. Kings Dominion (Second best coaster collection in the chain and generally good atmosphere and operations. Some of the better coasters like I305 and Volcano are fairly unique as well compared to other parks that have more typical collections)
3. Kings Island (Similar sentiment to KD with one major difference. KI does not have an elite destination coaster like I305/MF/Maverick and the lack of one hurts it. Banshee, Diamondback, and Beast are fine, but none of them are good enough on their own to anchor a park of this size)
4. Knott's Berry Farm (My home park for the better part of two decades so I'm partial to it. But until the refurbished Ghostrider reopens, Knott's is like Kings island in that it lacks a single elite coaster. By far the most eclectic and unique CF park with the best theming and Halloween event. Could jump ahead of KI depending on how Ghostrider turns out)
5. Worlds of Fun (Nice, smaller park with a well rounded, if unremarkable lineup of coasters (plus that Cloudpoofer indoor flat ride thing). What surprised me about this place was just how nice the landscaping and atmosphere was while I went in expecting Midwest Dorney. Needs a new centerpiece coaster)
6. Dorney Park (Equivalent coasters to WoF, but one of the more bleak, uninspiring settings I've seen at a major chain park)
7. California's Great America (The inverse of Dorney. A very nice setting with an underwhelming selection of rides. Flight Deck and Gold Striker are the only two I enjoy)
Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:02 am
Among those that I've visited:
1. Cedar Point
2. Kings Dominion
3. Knott's Berry Farm
5. California's Great America
(Guessing CGA would still be in last place even if I had visited all the CF parks.)
Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:53 am
I've only been to 3 Cedar Fair parks, but I'd rank them as follows.
1) Kings Dominion. Fantastic atmosphere, beautiful park, some areas are extremely well themed, I305, and Bisch-Rocco Flyers! What's there not to like?
2) Dorney Park. My home park, well rounded collection of coaster (Even if the 2nd best coaster in the park is a hand-me-down from Geauga Lake) Talon, Demon Drop, Steel Force, and Possessed. Plus Thunder Creek Mountain. People like to complain that it's a concrete jungle, but only the top half of the park is (and really only back to White Water Landing, the rest of the park is well shaded, and very nice looking)
3) Carowinds. I had an absolutely terrible experience at this park. Abysmal operations on every ride except Fury 325 (We sat on Windseeker for literally 20 minutes while the ops sat around the booth chatting instead of checking restraints, and don't get me started on the Afterburn crew!) Though Carowinds has two fantastic rides (Fury 325 and Afterburn) the rest of the lineup is lackluster bordering on downright bad. I232 was the biggest disappointment I've ridden so far. Couple this with rude and uncaring staff, and you have a recipe for a bad time. On the bright side, Carowinds has the best non-Knoebels flyers I've ridden.
Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:53 am
I hadn't realized how many CF parks I've been to until I thought about this list:
1. Cedar Point (easily #1)
2. Kings Island
3. Kings Dominion
4. Carowinds (pre Intimidator and Fury)
6. Knotts Berry Farm
7. Dorney Park
8. Worlds of Fun
Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:09 am
Of the ones I've been to:
1) Cedar Point- no contest here really. One of the closest CF parks to me, so I usually do 1-2 yearly visits. Best collection of coasters, most to do. Nice scenery (not theming, scenery) and atmosphere. But the coasters really put it into a league of its own.
2) Canada's Wonderland- The closest CF park to me, so I visit it the most. Decent, but not amazing, collection of coasters. A bunch of unique flats there and nice landscaping.
3) Kings Island- Slightly beats out KD. There isn't really an OMG WOW coaster here like i305, but they have a solid collection overall. Had some fun on Banshee, Beast, and Diamondback. Decent theming.
4) Kings Dominion- i305 is a kick ass ride, no doubt about it. But there aren't any other coasters that really jump out here as great. Volcano was good, but had a really long line, and Dominator was alright. The wooden coasters were all mediocre. Theming was a bit better than most parks though.
5) Knott's- Went here a few years back on a CA trip. I had big expectations, but was a bit underwhelmed. Silver Bullet and Ghost Rider were not quite what I expected. Plus, for a park this big, it's missing a true Hyper/Giga. It had a nice setting though, and if they can fix GR and get a big quality addition in the next few years, it could get a bump up on the list.
6) Carowinds- Pre-Fury obviously. Their coaster collection just wasn't that good. If Intimidator weren't trimmed to hell, it could have boosted the park's ranking. With the drastic changes that have occurred, I'll have to revisit and re-rank.
7) Dorney- Not a bad park, but far from good. Not a good coaster collection at all, and it had some potential. This park is definitely overshadowed by Hershey and SFGADv not surprisingly.
Haven't visited MiA, WoF, VF, or CGA, but they'll be on my list if they receive a large investment. I want to go to these parks, but CF has to give me a reason to go.
Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:36 pm
From the ones I've visited:
1) Cedar Point- An amazing coaster collection. The park itself is amazing, especially with the lake. The park really has everything you could think of in a park. Gatekeeper is my love, Millennium and Top Thrill are just craziness put into a bundle of thrills and insaness on a coaster. Favorite park of all time.
2) Kings Island- I didnt get to do the whole park as it was a haunt night and the park was extremely crowded. Banshee and Diamondback were superb coasters. (carowind will more than likely take the #2 spot after this summer.)
3) Dorney Park- Yes its my home park. IMO its one of the better smaller parks in the chain. The coasters are wonderful. Talon is one of my favorite inverts, and Possessed is just insane. The waterpark is superb. Other than the hill, the park has a good layout.
4) Kings Dominion- To me, this was just like Dorney. A small park with some wonderful coasters. I305 was good, but no Millennium. Volcano was good, but nothing thrilling for me.
Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:00 pm
^I disagree with some of your opinions, but they're opinions and I respect that. But I'm curious, what qualifies Kings Dominion as a small park? Doesn't it have the fifth most coasters of any park anywhere? The layout is a little more compact than say Great Adventure but nothing about that park says "small" to me,
Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:51 pm
1. Cedar Point
2. KI and Carowinds
7. VF and WoF
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.