NEWS: £2 billion theme park "The London Resort" announced!

P. 3: Paramount partnership reignited, park to open in 2024!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

NEWS: £2 billion theme park "The London Resort" announced!

Postby A.J. » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:25 am

Found this interesting article while perusing my favorite Doctor Who fansite...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/bbc-theme-park-set-to-feature-top-gear-doctor-who-and-sherlock-to-open-in-2012-9915192.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11284388/BBC-to-open-theme-park-to-exploit-Doctor-Who-and-Top-Gear-brands.html

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/dec/10/bbc-theme-park-sherlock-doctor-who-top-gear-hollywood

The Independent wrote:A theme park set to feature Top Gear, Doctor Who and Sherlock is coming to British soil.

BBC Worldwide has signed a deal with London Resort Company Holdings (LRCH) to allow a number of its popular programmes and characters to be “brought to life” in a new £2 billion theme park

The property developer has signed an agreement with BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the corporation, to feature the BBC’s intellectual property in the multi-billion pound London Paramount Entertainment resort, due to open in Kent in 2020.

BBC characters and programmes will feature in the theme park alongside Paramount properties, but it is not yet known which shows will be included.

The £2 billion theme park, which is due to be built on brownfield land on the Swanscombe Peninsula in north Kent, is set to have a broad international appeal for tourists coming to London.

It is thought that the BBC’s most popular programmes will feature in the theme park, including Doctor Who, Sherlock and Top Gear.

Stephen Davies, director of live events at BBC Worldwide, said: “We’re always looking for opportunities to extend fans’ enjoyment of their favourite shows and the idea behind the resort is a really exciting way of celebrating the very special place the BBC has in British culture.”

David Testa, director of LRCH, said: “We are delighted to bring the world’s leading public service broadcaster on board this project.

“The BBC has played an instrumental role in shaping the British entertainment industry for nearly a century, creating some of the most iconic and cherished characters on TV and radio.

“It seems only right therefore that its programmes will be present at the new London Paramount Entertainment Resort, which will combine the glamour of Hollywood with the best of British culture.”

This is an interesting idea, absolutely! But, like many other developments like this, we won't know if it will actually happen until it opens its gates...
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:26 am.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: London Paramount Resort to feature BBC IP

Postby StealthFan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Now this is interesting with the fact that they have now got the IP to Doctor Who. The rumour for Thorpe Parks 2016 dark ride has been a Doctor Who theme and I can't see LRCH wanting a park that will be so close to their property to used an IP I'm sure has cost them a considerable amount of money to acquire.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby willthegolfer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Look just above the top of the gate. RMC woodie confirmed.
Top Five Coasters- 5. Cheetah Hunt 4. Viper (SfGam) 3. Kumba 2. Montu 1. Goliath (SfGam)
Check out my RCT2 park, Six Flags North Woods!LINK
Wishlist - Every RMC, El Toro, Skyrush, I305, Fury 325, Maverick

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:02 am

All of my yes, assuming this gets built. :br
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby hey...hey » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:12 am

Some kind of hyper or giga off to the far right.
Coaster Count: Steel-55 Wood-13 Total-68

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:50 am

^Well spotted. I didn't see that.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:14 pm

A lot of news outlets seem to be referring to this project as a "BBC theme park" but I'm pretty sure the BBC IP will only exist in a large "land" or two, much like how Islands of Adventure splits between Marvel, Seuss, Jurassic Park, cartoons, Harry Potter, etc but without the islands.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:51 pm

There's now a Facebook page for Paramount London here:
https://www.facebook.com/londonparamount?fref=ts

There's quite a lot of interesting details and progress reports such as what looks like a land purchase agreement recently which opens up more land for them to grow on. I seem to remember a report says the Swanscombe Peninsular is twice the size of the Olympic Park in London which was absolutely huge.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby jazzimm » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:17 pm

Nobody linked to the website yet? It has lots of info - http://www.londonparamount.info/

From the "rides and attractions" page:

The resort will have over 50 rides exciting rides and attractions all themed around some of the most famous films, television programmes, games and other artistic works of our partners.
Attractions will include:
Signature entertainment shows and cultural events
12 major rides
Water rides
Family rides
Adrenaline rides
The heart of the park will open to the public in Easter 2020, with additional rides and attractions scheduled to be unveiled soon after in the following years.

Potentially a very exciting project! The Facebook page also said something about the largest indoor waterpark in Europe. There's also a high-res image of that gate pic on the home page of the web site, and you can see what looks like a suspended coaster going up a mountain.

I hope this project works out as planned!
londonparamount.jpg
Meow!

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Paramount London have been doing public consultations where they invite people to small exhibitions and ask for their thoughts. The results have been published and are available here: http://www.londonparamount.info/media/1048/your-feedback-from-stage-two.pdf

Most attendees were local residents, and feedback has been incredibly positive with 48% approving of the project, and 34% strongly approving. Transport is the biggest concern but still 47% approve, and 16% strongly approve.

It also shows what aspect of the resort people are most excited about. Unsurprisingly it is the theme park that is the most anticipated part of Paramount, but people are also excited for restaurants, west end style shows and the cinema.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!