70 members have voted

1. 1. Phoenix or Twister?

• Phoenix
    • Twister

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Phoenix is smooth, filled with airtime, a classic, and has consistently been ranked extremely high by coaster enthusiasts since it was relocated to Knoebels in 1985. Twister is a replica of a classic, goes from smooth to rough depending where you sit and where it is in its maintenance cycle, and almost lacks airtime completely. A lot of non-enthusiasts actually prefer Twister, but that's only because it's a more intense ride than Phoenix and has some very good laterals making it seem more "action-packed". On the other hand, based on rankings, regards, and intangibles the Phoenix is a superior ride. Whatever you like better is most important in questions like this, because deciding how good a coaster is revolves around your objective opinion.

My first ride on the Twister was in the pouring rain. It was probably the craziest most out of control ride I ever had on a roller coaster. Subsequent rides in dryer weather, however, haven't even come close.

I voted Pheonix, because of stand up airtime.

The clear answer is Phoenix. While I would say that Twister is a good ride, it did not blow me away. I felt like I was just riding a standard CCI coaster with less airtime. Twister is a lot of fun, but I would never rank it anywhere near my top 5.

Phoenix just blew me away. I still tie it with El Toro as my #1. While experiences can vary on Phoenix, riding it in row 3 at night in the rain beats El Toro any day.

Twister just feels like a 'standard' wood coaster, while even slow rides on Phoenix always amaze me.

Twister is an above average wooden coaster. It is a really good ride with quite a bit of airtime and some strong laterals, but it does die out toward the end. The ride ranks in my top 25 wood coasters and I'd be willing to wait up to an hour for it.

Phoenix is an outstanding wooden coaster. It is a classic ride with some of the best airtime I've ever experienced and doesn't contain a single dull moment. The ride ranks in my top 10 wood coasters and I'd be willing to wait up to two hours for it.

Short Answer: Phoenix > Twister

Twister is an amazing ride... it's out of control without being rough which is a really fine line to walk for a wood coaster. Luckily because the ride is at Knoebels the park maintains this ride perfectly which guarantees it will always be awesome. I feel like the ride is criminally underrated just because Phoenix is in the same park and out of about 200 coasters this ride easily falls within my top 20.

Unfortunately as great as Twister is the answer here is clearly Phoenix. Phoenix is perfect... it's not that tall, it's not that fast, it doesn't have any gimmicks but it's still one of the best coasters in the world because of it's perfect design and Knoebel's great maintenance team. The airtime on this ride is insane and that return run of airtime hills is one of the most fun moments on any coaster ever.

• 3 months later...

The Phoenix is simply so good that few coasters anywhere can hold up to it. Twister, even if it were phenomenal, would have a hard time beating it. I've been to Knoebel's twice, and I really want to love Twister, but it's just not really near as good of a coaster as one of its size and location should be. When I visited CP, Kennywood, Knoebel's, and Hersheypark in one trip, Twister was somewhere around Mean Streak and the Comet near the bottom of wooden coasters I'd ridden, and I actually remember more fun moments from Mean Streak.