So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Now that the season is over...discuss!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Postby Ed Farmer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:06 am

I wasn't expecting to have the opportunity to sample 3 new rides this season, but happily, that's the way it worked out. I'm only about an hour away from Great America and Goliath, but it was the last of the 3 I was able to try. I just rode it for the first time this past Sunday (only managed 2 laps).

Banshee/Lightning Run
Goliath

I had a feeling that Lightning Run would be the sleeper hit of the year for many. I was expecting a great ride and it lived up to those expectations. More of these need to be built everywhere. I'll agree with a lot of what was said about Banshee; I wasn't expecting that at all. It's great to see B&M build an excellent ride again. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably give the slightest of edges to Banshee. It's not my favorite Invert (I think they got it right the first time with Batman The Ride, and that's my measuring stick), but it's in an entirely different and better realm than much of their other recent designs.

My biggest reservation about Goliath prior to riding was the brevity of the ride from the top of the lift to the brake run. Upon riding, it felt longer than it was, so that was nice. Both of my Goliath laps were in the last row, which I assume is where you'll get the most potent ride. The first drop was a bit underwhelming to me, though. Just from watching it while walking past it and waiting in line, it looked like it could be one of the best anywhere. Definitely a case of anticipointment. It was very good, but Raging Bull's drop on the other side of the park easily trumps it. That aside, it's still a hell of a ride. I love B&M StandUps, so it was a bummer to see Iron Wolf go, but the old stomping grounds were definitely put to good use (unlike with the previous two major coasters that were taken down at this park).
Been you to have any spike, man?

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:31 am

Banshee and Goliath are the two I rode.

Honestly, Banshee did not impress me with my first ride. But the more and more I rode it - wow, I really love the ride and it's definitely one of the best I've been on. The front row is incredible, and the back seat is very forceful. The night rides are so much fun!

Goliath - I only got one ride, and I picked the front row. I don't think it's a front row ride, I kind of regret not going for the back seat. But hey, I did it in the front row. It was fun, and the zero G stall is crazy good...but I didn't love the ride. Liked it, but didn't love it. Can't wait to try the back seat next year.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby x2isawesome » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:43 am

I only got to ride two new rides this year lightning run and el loco(kind of regretting not going to ki for banshee). Between the two of them lightning run was the clear winner. I have never been on a mega lite before but from what I have heard about them this one comes really close to duplicating the experience and the air time that you get on a mega lite. Really hope more of these are built as I can see them being a big hit in smaller parks all across the country.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby urzishra » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:11 am

Only rode El Loco. But it was incredibly fun. I didn't know what to expect. I think I said this somewhere else, but I wish all "small compact coasters" were as fun as El Loco. I want all theme parks to replace their mouse coasters with El Locos... (not a fan of those fast switchback turns on mouses...)

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby coasterchitchat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:16 pm

I rode Banshee, Lightning Run, and Goliath.

Banshee- Excellent invert with a TON of forces.
Lightning Run- Had a ton of twists and turns and AIRTIME! This coaster would do great at any of the smaller parks that can't afford a B&M, but don't want to go in the Intamin route.
Goliath- First RMC and disliked it. The drop and zero-g roll were the only good parts, but SFGAm could've used a launch coaster instead of this. Just my opinion.
Vekoma is English means, "We don't have the budget for a B&M so let's just order a Vekoma."

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby WishfulThinker83 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:25 pm

It's hard for me to give fair judgement having only rode 2 of the new attractions for 2014 (Banshee/Lighting Run), but using provided POV's of the others and common sense I'd have to make my top choice Banshee, then #2 to either of the RMC's. You really have to give credit where it's due with Banshee IMO, unlike the GTA's of recent years!?? SMH over the Golden Ticket Awards on an annual basis recently... For example, what happens if Knoebels' new Impulse steel coaster gets the nod for best new ride for 2015 over Fury325?? You know how Flying Turns got it over the $24 million Banshee!?? Love Knoebels but C'mon GTA's, and please tell me who's doin Dolly? The business and the fans need a non-biased, fair, and relevant way to rate the World's theme parks and attractions IMO!!?

I rummage through Intamin's garbage

Location: Switzerland, 5 miles away from Intamin's main location

Postby K1ngdaKa88 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:30 pm

My only coaster that is new for 2014 I've been on was Flug der Dämonen at Heide Park in Germany. This was my first and only Wing coaster I rode and it was Amazing! But next sunday I can ride Sky Scream at Holiday Park in Germany and I'm very excited about that!
Count: 372 (341 Steel & 31 Wood) 79 Parks
Steel: 1. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park) 2. Lech Coaster (Legendia) 3. Shambhala (Port Aventura) 4. Taron (Phantasialand) 5. Kärnan (Hansa Park)
Woodies: 1. Wildfire (Kolmården) 2. Troy (Toverland) 3. White Lightning (Fun Spot) 4. Colossos (Heide Park) 5. El Toro (Freizeitpark Plohn)
Sorry if my English isn't perfect, I'm from Switzerland!
Youtube Channel

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Cmbgo12 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:52 pm

The only coasters that I rode that were new was Banshee and a Wisdom Dragon at a Mall... :)

Banshee was really good with TONS of forces and a pretty good layout (Though I didn't really feel like it used its landscape to its advantage). Something that was a bit annoying on it was the really slow B-Roll that killed the pacing, oh and you should definitely not ride in the middle rows, the rattle on 3 middle rows kills the ride in every sense of the word...

The Wisdom Dragon was well... A Wisdom Dragon, two helixes and a pretty good ride for $2...

Banshee was definitely the best new coaster, but still not my favorite Invert. :Pr
Coaster Count- 113 Wood- 23 Steel- 90
Top 5 Steel- Diamondback, Bizarro, I305, Montu, Apollo's Chariot
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Racer, Beast, Grizzly (KD), Swamp Fox (FK), Wildcat (HP)

If Fury 325 ends up being on the same level as Diamondback it may just kill me...

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:19 pm

rcjp wrote:^^Have you ridden other wing coasters besides Flug der Daemonen? If so, how do they compare? Based on POVs it looks like the one which moves the slowest through the inversions which is kind of the opposite of what I was expecting.

See I thought the same thing when I saw videos of it when the ride opened up, but I recently saw some videos from earlier in the summer and it appears the ride has broken in quite a bit. Wouldn't say it's moving fast through the inversions, but it seems to be moving at a much quicker pace than when it opened up.
Last edited by ZeroGravity55 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:56 pm.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Myself » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:19 pm

Add me to the list of people who only rode Banshee this year...and I loved it! I've only been on five B&M inverts, but it's definitely my favorite and probably my top Kings Island coaster as well.

Oh, yeah! I also embraced my inner credit whore and rode Cocoa Cruiser at Hersheypark as well. :oops: Sure, it IS a 2014 coaster, but it's not anything noteworthy, so...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!