So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Now that the season is over...discuss!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Postby Intaman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:45 pm

Of the new coasters that I rode this summer, I would rank them as follows,

1. Banshee: I was pleasantly surprised by Banshee, especially since I was so skeptical about another B&M. That said, I really enjoyed the layout and found it both fun and re-rideable. The theming and experience is definitely a leap forward for Cedar Fair. Night rides on it are fantastic.

2. Lighting Run: This was another pleasant surprise. I think this coaster shows that even a less costly alternative can pack a proverbial punch and offer a lot within a small layout.

3. Goliath: I had both high expectations and excitement for this coaster (more than the other new coasters), since this is an RMC and it's at my home park. However, after the first-airtime hill, it was really downhill from there. :lol: It is definitely a solid coaster, but no Outlaw Run. I was let-down, but I think that is partly due to RMC's reputation for high-quality coasters. It needed more air-time hills and less hang-time. Of course, I understand that the former Iron Wolf site is unique and impacted the coaster design, but I was a bit disappointed. Nonetheless, it is a good coaster, just not as good as Outlaw Run.

4. Helix: I was underwhelmed by Helix. I think it's a solid coaster, but the launches/ some of the elements were somewhat lackluster, especially when compared to say- Maverick. However, I really do like how the coaster interacts with the terrain. The couple air-time hills were really good too. I think Helix also scores big for its electronic-music blasting, futuristic club-looking station. Of course, experiencing this ride with TPR during Scandi definitely added to the overall experience.=)

5. El Loco: This is a decent coaster, but it has some serious competition from the coasters listed above.
Last edited by Intaman on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:28 am.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby apatos99 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:34 pm

I have only experienced two, so my opinion is somewhat suspect. But I do live between two of the best amusement parks ever, Cedar Point and Kings Island, so I feel my opinion may count if you have to consider third world opinions.

I have lusted over over RMC's every since they redid Texas Giant, and I thought either Outlaw Run or Iron Rattler would be the best of the bunch. (How can you not ride Iron Rattler virtually in POV through that wonderful setting and not think it ranks right up there with the best? Until you ride Wild Fire.) But the only one close to me was Goliath, and OMG. Maverick has always ranked number two on my top ten list but Goliath just stole that spot. It does things no roller coaster should be allowed to do. It blows you away. Yes, it's seems too short but what it does in that one minute of ride time is like nothing you will ever experience on a roller coaster. I should admit now I rode El Toro this year too and it's hard to choose between the two, but Goliath has to come out on top.

Banshee is another list topper. Inverted coasters deliver a ride experience I feel that can't be topped by too many other coaster experiences. I have ridden Alpengeist, Montu, the Great Bear and Batman to name a few. I have always felt Raptor tops them all, but oh, Banshee. Banshee is the best of the lot.

I haven't ridden The Seven Dwarves. I have been to Disney three times and think that's enough. But I would like to say while I respect Rob's opinion, I have always suspected he's rather soft when it comes to Disney. I don't know why I think that, but for some reason I just picture him as being kin or twin to Snow White in some surreal, parallel universe sort of way. He'd look good in a dress and surrounded by dwarves. Or being forced to sing eternally, "Hi ho, Hi ho, off to work I go..."

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:43 pm

apatos99 wrote:I have been to Disney three times and think that's enough. But I would like to say while I respect Rob's opinion, I have always suspected he's rather soft when it comes to Disney.

I'm not soft on Disney I just happened to like "theme parks" more than I like "roller coasters." Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is one of the most perfect family coasters I've ridden (and I've pretty much ridden them all) as it's the perfect blend of thrills and very elaborate thematics that is targeted at a young audience.

There is nothing wrong with liking theme parks just because it might not be your thing. Maybe you're soft for Ohio amusement parks or something? ;)

--Robb "Who the hell is Rob?" Alvey
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:44 pm.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby apatos99 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:00 pm

robbalvey wrote:
apatos99 wrote:I have been to Disney three times and think that's enough. But I would like to say while I respect Rob's opinion, I have always suspected he's rather soft when it comes to Disney.

I'm not soft on Disney I just happened to like "theme parks" more than I like "roller coasters." Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is one of the most perfect family coasters I've ridden (and I've pretty much ridden them all) as it's the perfect blend of thrills and very elaborate thematics that is targeted at a young audience.

There is nothing wrong with liking theme parks just because it might not be your thing. Maybe you're soft for Ohio amusement parks or something? ;)

--Robb "Who the hell is Rob?" Alvey

LOL, I'm very partial to KI and Cedar Point. I'm into extreme coasters. Doesn't mean I disrespect your opinions or preferences for family coasters and theming. Just pointing out you would make a good dwarf. And sorry, it is Robb, not Rob. My apologies.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby rubysparkles » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:00 pm

I managed to get on 5 new coasters this year. Definitely my highest number ever. My ranking is:

1. Goliath - I know it was let down for a lot of people, but it was the first RMC I'd been on. I got to ride Outlaw Run later on my trip and I found Outlaw Run marginally better. I preferred the inversions on Goliath but liked the overall ride and pacing on Outlaw Run. It was the night rides on Goliath that made me really like it.

2. Lightning Run - This coaster is so fun and I do agree with the comparisons to mega lites and Skyrush, but it's smaller and has some changes in direction that give it a more unique layout. This was really re-rideable and just a ton of fun. The bunny hills at the end always managed to surprise me.

3. Banshee - All three coasters so far are so close that it's difficult to rank them. Banshee is great and re-rideable and the most enjoyable thing B&M has made in a while. I can't really explain why this is my third favourite, the forces are great, it looks amazing (definitely the best looking coaster of 2014) and it's got an interesting layout. I just prefer the other two slightly more.

4. Parrot Coaster - I've heard this has gone downhill, but when I rode it in the Spring it seemed like the most forceful wing rider I had been on. It's still just a wing rider, but at least it has those awesome parrot themed trains. Of the 4 I've been on, it's probably the best one.

5. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - This is last just because it's a family coaster. The theming is amazing and I really enjoyed the dark ride section (my main complaint is I wish there was more dark ride). It shows up really well in pictures too.
Twisted Colossus, I305, Skyrush, Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Maverick.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Zanderdad » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:03 pm

I only got to ride Fire Chaser Express and Banshee, so I would have to say that Banshee was my favorite new coaster for 2014. I hope to do more parks next year!!
20140419_182234.jpg
Banshee at KI opening weekend 2014

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Gnome » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:45 pm

How does thunderbolt look so good but get such negative reviews? They really screwed that one up, didnt they? "Man that was like being in a car crash."

From what I've seen (without riding any of them so take it for what it is) I like Helix, Medusa, and firechaser as well. But I also really like what they did for tre 7 Dwarves Mine ride. Im also a sucker for great themed attractions and experiences.
Don't worry, it's an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:18 am

Helix at Liseberg Park
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:19 am

Being not quite as well-travelled as some people on this forum, I only rode two of the 2014 coasters, and I rank them like this.

1. Banshee: Ok, my opinion may have a good bit of sway, because I love Kings Island and visit every year, but this coaster is just awesome! It's huge, long, fast, and powerful! On my first visit to Kings Island this year, I think I clocked around 20 rides on Banshee over two days. I was just so impressed by it that I couldn't stop riding! As of now, I would probably call it my favorite invert (I have ridden Montu, but only once, and my memory of it is pretty fuzzy).

2. Goliath: The coaster on which I finally lost my RMC virginity. Wow, what a ride! If I could use one word to describe it, it would be crazy. Crazy first drop, crazy airtime hill, crazy dive loop, CRAZY ZERO-G STALL. It was an all-around great coaster that was leaps and bounds above every other ride at SFGAm. Definitely a great introduction to the RMC family for me. However, it was super short and didn't really feel like a complete ride. For that reason, Banshee edges it out as my favorite coaster of 2014.

I was SO close to riding Lightning Run this year, but I decided to put off visiting Kentucky Kingdom until more of the park opened up. It honestly looks like it could be a top 3 in my book.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby tooooobbe » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:25 am

I miss Flug der Daemonen (Heide Park) on that list. Only went on helix and that one. Both were great but Helix is my winner.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!