So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Now that the season is over...discuss!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Re: So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Postby IntaminLove » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Edited to add Banshee

Banshee - I'm not much of a B&M fan so initially I wasn't too excited for Banshee. The reviews here made me optimistic, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. Banshee far exceeded my expectations and it's fun from start to finish. B&M showed us that they can make an intense coaster and I hope they continue down this path. Chances are Banshee is a one time deal. Anyway Banshee is my favorite new for 2014 coaster.

Thunderbolt - I thought this was going to be a decent coaster, but I loved it. I don't care much for inversions, but the inversions on Thunderbolt are very fun. The hills have ejector airtime, which was a big surprise. Thunderbolt is a well rounded coaster and I can't wait to ride it again.

Goliath - I was very happy that my home park was getting an RMC, but I didn't set my expectations too high. My first ride was underwhelming, but the subsequent rides were much better. The first drop doesn't have airtime, which is really disappointing. The over banked turn is better than I expected and this is where the fun really starts. The airtime hill has ejector air and this is my second favorite part of the ride. The dive loop is cool and always reminds me that there's only a lap bar. The zero g stall is awesome and it's my favorite part of the ride. The final turn has sideways airtime, which is weird and fun. I really like Goliath and I think it's the best ride at SFGAm. It loses points due to a lack of airtime and length. I think it's a shame that Wilderness Theater wasn't removed in order to expand Goliath's layout. Nevertheless, Goliath is fun and I am more excited to ride RMC's other coasters.
Last edited by IntaminLove on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:03 pm.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Postby Xcoaster » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:33 pm

My only noteworthy "New for 2014" coaster was Helix. I thought it was a great ride. Not my favorite in the park (Balder), but it's in my steel top ten.
Medusa and Lightning Run look like they'd also be likely contenders if I'd ridden them. Medusa looks amazing and Lightning Run looks like the next best thing to an Intamin airtime machine. Probably in 2015.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!