Photo TR: 2014 TPR Scandi Trip!

Last Park of the trip: Linnanmaki now on Page 26 (9/22/15)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Photo TR: 2014 TPR Scandi Trip!

Postby ozziboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:30 am

Thanks Jake, for bringing back memories of an amazing day at an amazing park. Liseberg is definitely one of the best in the world!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby SuperShawn » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:15 am

cfc wrote:
Any year is a good year to visit Liseberg.

This is soo true, and I am ready to head back again and again and again!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby StealthFan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:35 am

This park is all about Balder! My god do I love that ride. Night ERT was just so awesome on that.

As for Helix well I am not allowed an opinion on that ride because its obviously wrong but the whole park is just amazing. The fact they just decided to put a FITH train on a coaster because it had a 20 min queue just shows how much the park care and other parks need to learn how to do that!

Great photos again Jake! Cant wait for the next update.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:13 am

I find myself looking for cheap flights to Gothenburg all the time. That's how good Liseberg is. I guess I can wait until 2016...is there going to be a better combo of rides within a few hours of each other than Balder and Wildfire?!?

BRB moving to Sweden...

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:32 pm

The whole idea that so many good parks, great coasters, and wonderful cultures,
are within relatively easy driving distances, and an overnight ferry ride, in Scandinavia.

And then there's Hansa, too! :airtime:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby andybarnes84 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:39 am

Thanks so much Jake for your TR and the great pics. Just got back from Gothenburg last night and agree with everything, truly fantastic medium sized park that was so good we cancelled other plans to revisit for a second day.

Allow these coaster to warm up! My first ride on both Balder and Helix at opening was great but not amazing but then as it got dark, they were both incredible. Balder is just constant out of your seat airtime with a couple of hills being "sharper" than others, just relentless and the first drop in the back was very special indeed, was not expecting quite that level of intensity. It lacks the scale of El Toro but makes up for it in relentless airtime. Helix was also on top form once warmed up, the inversions are quite floaty but actually quite well designed and the hairpin turns and ejector airtime hills make up for it. I agree with you that the launches don't do much, they just keep the momentum going. The station and music along with free wifi and the queue line app/game concept was pretty innovative. I did notice some rattle but it was only on the first visit on Friday on one particular train.

Kanonen was surprisingly tiny but packed a punch after the mini top-hat that other larger versions lack. Liserbergbanananana coaster as I kept calling it was also much much better than your average coaster of it's time and the station was immaculate and very well preserved. Atmosfear was also pretty fantastic. It seems that if you paid per attraction, you'd feel as though you've got your money's worth as they were all quite interesting and longer than your average ride.

The food was very tasty, much more than typical park food and a good intro to popular Swedish dishes. The park was easy to get around and quite compact actually, a stunning setting but only 30 mins walk from the center. The lines kept moving, the staff were friendly, amazing selection of game stalls to win insanely sized versions of Swedish treats, and the park was very clean too. Really reminded me of a mini Europa Park in terms of quality and atmosphere.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby rctneil » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:43 am

Excellent TR on the Liseberg day Jake. I really enjoyed that day and really wish I could return soon. Balder was the standout ride of the trip for me. People had been saying how good those woodies are but I just could never understand it and then one ride on Balder was all that it took to convince me and for Balder to rocket to my number 1 woodie spot!

I loved Helix too, it's a top 10 ride for me but I found it slightly shaky. Nothing earth shattering and not in a classic woodie rough kind of way. It just seemed to have a shake to it. The first launch was just ok, the second was better, just a longer more sustained launch but as Jake said, quite weak. The airtime hill after the top hat was my favourite part of the ride and I love the soundtrack Helix has too.

Lisebergbanen was also a very big surprise. It's surprisingly speedy and it's run so efficiently too!
TRIPS:
West Coast Tour 2009 - || - Middle America 2010 - || - IntimidaTOUR 2010 - || - Best of China 2012
Taiwan 2013 - || - Japan 2013 - || Scandinavia 2014
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5a7b5ea10f265e536d315d1bd5a624a7.jpg[/img][/url]

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:54 pm

Great pictures and trip report! I gotta get there *so bad*.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:19 pm

rctneil wrote:Excellent TR on the Liseberg day Jake. I really enjoyed that day and really wish I could return soon. Balder was the standout ride of the trip for me. People had been saying how good those woodies are but I just could never understand it and then one ride on Balder was all that it took to convince me and for Balder to rocket to my number 1 woodie spot!

I loved Helix too, it's a top 10 ride for me but I found it slightly shaky. Nothing earth shattering and not in a classic woodie rough kind of way. It just seemed to have a shake to it. The first launch was just ok, the second was better, just a longer more sustained launch but as Jake said, quite weak. The airtime hill after the top hat was my favourite part of the ride and I love the soundtrack Helix has too.

Lisebergbanen was also a very big surprise. It's surprisingly speedy and it's run so efficiently too!

Agree on every single thing you said! I had heard everyone talk about how good Balder was and always doubted it based on the POVs...but after just one ride in the front seat, it was 1000% convinced. I still can't believe how good it was and have a hard time choosing between it and my most recent night rides on Boulder Dash exactly a month later.

The airtime hill after the top hat was by far the best part of Helix - noticeably more intense than the rest of the ride. The other part I liked was the airtime hill to 0g roll to twisty-hill helix thing. That sequence was good. The rest of the ride was pretty weak though!

I am insanely busy this week, so no idea if I will be able to get an update in, but i'll try. I barely took any photos at Skara Sommerland, so it would be a mini update before Grona Lund anyways!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:21 pm

I liked the park a lot. Balder was pretty darn good. It shares my top two spots with T-Express. Helix I thought was really good. Not my number one by any means but fun.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!