New theme park for Turkey, Ankapark.

Pg 13: Park renamed Wonderland Eurasia, opened on 3/20/19
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: New theme park for Turkey, Ankapark.

Postby JG-77 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 am

Ankapark is opening this Monday (according to RCDB)!!!

I can't wait to see what come of this park, the sheer bizarreness of this place makes me super intrigued to see how this play out. Does anyone have any updates on what's been added since the last update?
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Fiorell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 am

JG-77 wrote:Ankapark is opening this Monday (according to RCDB)!!!

Unfortunately I wouldn't be so sure about that. Here is why:

Since November 2017 the park didn't post any news on their Facebook page. Wondering about this abrupt end of information flow I searched the internet and found this article.

There you can read that the initiator and protegé of the project, Melih Gökçek, was removed by its party (!) as major of Ankara. He was replaced by Mustafa Tuna, which is not that big of an AnkaPark fan as his predecessor.
The new major was shocked that the park has already cost around 400 million dollars and decided to put the whole thing up for a public discussion.

Now, three things to consider:
1. There was already a big investment, and just cancelling the project would vaporize the money spent.
2. On the other hand, the initial idea was to drag millions of tourists to Ankara, which in my opinion is not very likely to happen. The number of tourists declined dramatically lately in turkey and the main destinations are still Istanbul and the Mediterranean coast.
3. If I remember correctly, none of the coasters was a custom model. So they will be able to sell them more easily.

Sad rumors, I know. But I hope this park will go live sometime, maybe even on April 23rd - who knows?
--== Last Count: 'Spinning Mouse (Manning)' Winter Wonderland London ==--
Take a seat on the CoasterCouch, a german YouTube channel with Molewurfn & Psycho-Duck!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Fiorell » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:29 am

And I hate that it looks I was right about this.

Still no website of Ankapark, no footage of the opening anywhere. Don't plan a trip to this park (go to Istanbul and Antalya instead ;) ).
--== Last Count: 'Spinning Mouse (Manning)' Winter Wonderland London ==--
Take a seat on the CoasterCouch, a german YouTube channel with Molewurfn & Psycho-Duck!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby IntraTrax » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:12 am

Sorry to bump this thread, but, I am the bearer of good news. A company named GBM Trade and Steel Enterprise Group obtained the rights to operate the park for 29 years. It will open March 2019, and OCT Group will be running the park.

Source: Turkish news website article - https://www.emlakdream.com/ankaparkta-acilis-hedefi-mart-2019/
ankannaliation.jpg

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:16 pm

Just checked up on the park's rcdb page, and it turns out that after changing their name to "Wonderland Eurasia," the park has finally opened! This should be interesting to follow...

Here's a few articles talking about the park opening for those wanting some more details (I have not read them all in full):

https://www.dailysabah.com/ankara/2019/03/20/europes-biggest-theme-park-wonderland-eurasia-opens-in-turkeys-ankara

https://blooloop.com/news/wonderland-eurasia-ankapark-opens-ankara-turkey/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/03/20/giant-theme-park-opened-despite-rusty-roller-coasters-other-safety-concerns/

https://www.trtworld.com/turkey/europe-s-biggest-theme-park-opens-in-turkish-capital-25119

Some intersting notes:
    *Three of the articles said the park claims they have (or will have) 2117 attractions. I'd really like to know where this figure came from, did someone at the park's PR make a typo? This number seems absurdly inflated.

*Their website (Wikipedia says this is the link) is not up yet, showing just a loading page with "Coming Soon" in Turkish

*The park does have a youtube channel, with a video announcing their opening date (March 20th) and an "introductory video" (linked below, has some footage of the park)

P.S. Sorry if this is against the rules for posting significant news before mods, though I'm assuming it's ok since nobody has really been talking about this park, and this happened two days ago.
Last edited by JG-77 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:45 pm.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:50 am

^You're totally fine to post something like this... When we mean major news, it is typically the big new attraction announcement, major park news for an often talked about park (like any of the major US parks, Tokyo Disney, etc...) or something that a park has sent us a press release about.

This is the first we've heard of this news, so thank you for sharing!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I donut like this custom title :(

Postby yay101 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:51 am

It's also really strange why their 10 inversion coaster is the only coaster, according to RCDB, that is open. I'm curious to what else is open in the park and what is still under construction/SBNO.
Favourite Coaster: Steel Vengeance
Other Favourites: SkyRush, Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, Magnum XL-200, Voyage, Apollo's Chariot, Phoenix, Outlaw Run, and Storm Runner

Obsessed with S&S Screamin Swings

If Magnum XL-200 dies we riot

Hello Kitty is not a cat. Hello Kitty is god. You exist only at Hello Kitty's pleasure. Crawl like drugged roaches before her splendor

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:16 pm

Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

I Love Donkeys!

Postby wsixflags » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:57 am

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:Almost a million guests in 5 days, Kiss The Ring

http://www.attractionsmanagement.com/index.cfm?pagetype=news&codeID=341263

ahahahahahahahahahahah

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:21 am

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:Almost a million guests in 5 days, Kiss The Ring

http://www.attractionsmanagement.com/index.cfm?pagetype=news&codeID=341263

Pretty wild that a theme park that was the target of grift investigations and thought to be impossible to profit on wound up being the most successful opening in history. We can certainly trust this because President Erdogan is an exceptionally ethical individual with only the best in mind for his constituents and would certainly never have a regime that would demand false information being transmitted to the world at large for the purpose of elevating Turkey's stature. Just as all the thousands and thousands of people he has had imprisoned or executed were really trying to bring down the nation he is so single handedly capable of leading into the 21st century.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!