Ocean Kingdom + Hotel Trip Report

Trip on the weekend of the 02/03
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Ocean Kingdom + Hotel Trip Report

Postby rubysparkles » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:01 am

Last weekend I took my first trip into China to go to the new Chimelong Ocean Kingdom theme park on Hengqin Island (across the water from Macau). I had booked a groupon package with ferry from Hong Kong to Dou Men (what an experience, the ferry went WAY past where we were going and then we had to go back on ourselves by an hour and a half to get to the park).

We stayed in the onsite hotel which was amazingly grand (and unfinished...) which came with free front of line access to some of the rides (unfortunately not all of them were open but Walrus Splash and Polar Explorer were testing while we were there, Walrus Splash looked pretty much ready to open).

We went on Flying Over The Rainforest three times, once in front row and twice in the back. The back row feels a lot more forceful, but the outer seats were shockingly rough. However, I really enjoyed the ride. I thought it was a better layout than the other wingrider I have been on before (Swarm at Thorpe Park), there was a few parts that had some airtime and the first drop was surprisingly good for a coaster of its height. The parrot trains also look AMAZING.
P1016755.jpg
The entrance to the theme park is pretty impressive
P1016758.jpg
The screens look great and reminded me of the Freemount Street in Downtown Vegas
P1016770.jpg
The entrance to Flying Over The Rainforest
P1016786.jpg
The first time I went on the ride I tried the test seat and fitted there fine, I think it's a bigboy test seat and the other seats are more snug. But good to know this version has Big Boy seats in row 4.
P1016828.jpg
They kept trying to get me to not ride, despite telling them I had fitted in the test seat. Even the second and third time. I pulled the retraint down myself and everything. But once it was down and clicked they wanted to double check. They weren't trying to click it again, it was more like they were trying to pull at it to make sure it wouldn't come undone? Incredibly strange. The guy in the control station looked as unamused as me, his thumb up waiting for the loaders to stop tugging at my restraint. It wasn't a click thing, it never clicked again before we left the station and they weren't pushing the restraint to make it more secure either. I was just incredibly strange.
P1016866.jpg
There's a dark ride that also shows off parts of the aquarium.
P1016881.jpg
Along with this little buddy. A mix between Nemo and Flounder.
P1016893.jpg
I can't figure out why there's a volcano, but it looks pretty.
P1016915.jpg
This turtle was such a poser!
P1016931.jpg
The mid afternoon parade.
P1016934.jpg
Some of the entrances to the enclosures were awesome, like this one for the beluga whales.
P1016936.jpg
Lots of engineers climbing all over this one, looks fantastic, I wonder what is inside.
P1016938.jpg
Very sad looking bear. Even though most people were acting well at the park, there was an entire family screaming at these bears for a few minutes trying to get them to look at them. Poor bears. They were screaming at the top of there lungs.
P1016967.jpg
Obviously the best ride name in the park. Shame it is just bumper cars, name makes it sound much more exciting.
P1016972.jpg
Soooooooo much construction. We saw people welding all over the park and lots of areas are still being built.
P1016975.jpg
Walrus Splash just looks amazing.
P1017005.jpg
The boats looked awesome and it didn't seem like it the ride would soak people.
P1017008.jpg
Just look at the walrus mountains! Insane.
P1017010.jpg
The ride entrance, looked like they were still doing something in the queue to get ready for opening, but the ride was testing for quite a long time.
P1017058.jpg
Bow down before the whale shark god!
P1017063.jpg
Oh beautiful whale shark, we couldn't find an actual one so we built you a massive statue.
P1017068.jpg
P1017077.jpg
Some of the areas are really nicely done, even if they were quite bare. It felt very strange that there were so few people here on a weekend.
P1017081.jpg
The aquarium that houses the manatees.
[b]Twisted Colossus, I305, Skyrush, Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Maverick.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Ocean Kingdom + Hotel Trip Report

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:05 am

Happy, Bump Bump Bump!

:lol:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby rubysparkles » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 am

More photos!
P1017097.jpg
Wait... What? I can't believe it!
P1017099.jpg
P1017100.jpg
I wish this were open.
P1017101.jpg
Useful.
P1017135.jpg
The boat ride that connects the theme park and hotel is quite nice. It's an upcharge but it was so cheap.
P1017145.jpg
One of the many lounges. The hotel is HUGE!!!
P1017186.jpg
The view from our room was great, there are only theme park or sea views so to me that's win/win.
P1017191.jpg
Lit up at night.
P1017202.jpg
All the restaurants are themed, but super empty. Breakfast buffet was excellent (and included) had choices for everyone. Dinner was pretty good and cheap for hotel prices.
P1017240.jpg
The circus is right next door too.
P1016712.jpg
The outside in the day. Extremely grand.
P1016713.jpg
Everything about this hotel is INSANE and HUGE. Shame so much of it is unfinished. We kept turning round corners and finding construction everywhere. With nothing to warn you or tell you to stay out or anything. The pools sound likt ehy are going to be amazing, lazy rivers and something called "Dolphin Pool".
P1016716.jpg
The foyer is probably the grandest thing about the place.
P1016743.jpg
Not a bad view, shame it was a misty day.
P1016747.jpg
The tickets and pink neon front of line passes.
P1017140.jpg
The hotel map, 50% of this stuff isn't completed. There's 3 restaurants, a drinks lounge, fitness room and business centre. There's a few shops there to buy clothes, Ocean Kingdom merch and chocolate. They really need to get a shop to buy soda and bottled water and snacks though.
P1017143.jpg
P1017144.jpg
P1017231.jpg
Outside the front.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:05 am

Amazing TR! I'm planning to return when Walrus Splash and Polar Explorer are open. Has the ticket price raised to ¥380 ($63) yet?

Postby rubysparkles » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Ours came with the hotel package so I'm not sure. I still can't believe how empty the park was when we were there. I was anticipating really awful queues but nothing was higher that 20mins all day.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Chimelong Ocean Kingdom does, indeed, look impressive (particularly the entrance). Love the photo with the fireworks.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:18 am

Great stuff! I've always felt that Chimelong Paradise was in my top parks already in China, and it looks like they might have one-upped themselves.

Also, does anyone have a really good pic of the giant Whale Shark? Been wanting to see what the detail is like on that thing.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:54 am

Wow! It's a beautiful park. I love all of the large statues of sea creatures. The hotel looks exquisite too.

What marine mammals do they have at the park? I'm guessing belugas, are there false killer whales as well? Any dolphins? Personal curiosity, I love cetaceans :)
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 am

Fantastic report! This park looks amazing!
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby rosscoe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:30 am

I had no idea that this park was so close ( in a way ) to Honkers. Great Trip Report..

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive