Mitch Hawker's steel roller coaster poll 2013 !

Page 15 - Results are OUT!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Mitch Hawker's steel roller coaster poll 2013 !

Postby x2isawesome » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Awesome to see my personal #1 maverick up so high. Also, really getting excited to check out skyrush for myself next month.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:25 pm

booink wrote:I'm happy to see Gatekeeper at #108, it deserved it! It's by far the shakiest and most unpleasant B&M I've been on! Also love to see Maverick go up a little, that was #1 on my ballot.

I'm quite surprised however about the Volares beeing the worst above Goudurix! They really are awful, but I tough Goudurix would continue its dead last reign until its destruction!

Ohh, Gatekeeper's not THAT bad. I've had the punishment of experiencing Apocalypse at SFA about 10 times in the past 2 years, resulting in about 10 migraines.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Postby Password121 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:37 pm

chriskq wrote:
GigaG wrote:Wing coasters in general are hated by a lot of people here, not just American wing coasters.

What is the reason you say that, being from Australia I'm very interested

Also what is the actual ranking purpose of the poll, I gather it is the coaster that you have the most fun on? Not the coaster that made you scared the most?

Sorry for the newb q's - first time I've heard if this poll

Wing coasters, generally speaking, are considered essentially forceless and occasionally boring in comparison to some of the higher quality B&M's out there, or many inverted or sit down B&M's.

As for the rankings, at least from my understanding, ballots are based on the best coaster experience, and voters can interpret that how they like, depending on what they prefer in coasters (airtime, intensity, speed, etc)

I apologize for the double post.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Randomman295 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:44 pm

After going to Fiesta Texas last year and viewing the results, I'm absolutely bewildered that iRat took a place in the top ten, while Poltergeist (160) and Superman Krypton Coaster (61) were so much lower. Seriously, iRat was short, poorly paced, completely lacking in intensity, and was honestly pretty ugly (at least compared to Poltergeist and Superman).
I'm kind of surprised at how high the three S&S 4D coasters, all of which were in the top 32.
A little sad to see how far down Xcelerator and Tatsu dropped down.

Also, does anybody else feel like there should be a category for "Fav. Intamin Megalite"? Piraten, Kawasemi, and (if it was included) Fly Over Mediterranean were all in the top 12.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby GrapesLie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Randomman295 wrote:After going to Fiesta Texas last year and viewing the results, I'm absolutely bewildered that iRat took a place in the top ten, while Poltergeist (160) and Superman Krypton Coaster (61) were so much lower. Seriously, iRat was short, poorly paced, completely lacking in intensity, and was honestly pretty ugly (at least compared to Poltergeist and Superman).

:| :omg: :omg: :omg: :lmao:

Postby Password121 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:44 pm

^^You know, I haven't ridden IRat, or anything RMC for that matter, so I'd have to ride it myself and read some credible reviews, but I'm curious if some voters (not saying this is happening, just thinking out loud) will rank any RMC coaster higher than a theoretical exact copy of the same coaster by a different manufacturer. This may have been the case with some Schwarzkopf coasters in the past, as I've heard.
Again, not saying I dislike RMC (quite the opposite, I'd love to ride one someday) or that's this is what is happening, but outside if the terrain elements and first drop of IRat, it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to it. Any of you who have ridden it, please let me know what you think of it.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:54 pm

SharkTums wrote:
larrygator wrote:iSpeed dropped a few spots while losing quite a few match-ups by only a vote. I'm a huge fan of iSpeed and unfortunately couldn't find the time to vote this year. I'll apologize to iSpeed in person next time I'm at the park.

Same. :(

I estimate that our omissions may have caused iSpeed's winning percentage to drop from around .9607 to .9457 possibly causing it to lose 5 or 6 spots.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Randomman295 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Password121 wrote:outside if the terrain elements and first drop of IRat, it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to it.

The first drop was let down hugely by the fact that the chain lift hill slows way down at the top. Even in the back row, it's not even the best airtime the ride has to offer (which for the record is the double up in the front seat). The zero-G roll is exceptional, I'll give it credit for that, and the quarry drop is the biggest highlight of the ride for most who've ridden it (including myself). But other than that, the overbanks are overdone, and the airtime is strong but WAY too sudden and brief to give you that kind of "stomach in your throat" feeling that the quarry drop and zero-g roll do so well regardless of the seat you're in. Plus the turnaround on top of the quarry wall is ugly as all hell and really slow compared to the rest of the ride. It's like a family coaster with decent airtime was cut in half and thrown in the middle of a REAL RMC ride. That's why I say it was poorly paced. It's still a good ride, don't get that mixed up with the term "overrated", but it's spot belongs more around 30 than 10.

Password121 wrote:I'm curious if some voters (not saying this is happening, just thinking out loud) will rank any RMC coaster higher than a theoretical exact copy of the same coaster by a different manufacturer. This may have been the case with some Schwarzkopf coasters in the past, as I've heard.

This actually brings up a really interesting point. I don't think that RMC has gotten to that point yet, but Schwarzkopf definitely has. For quick comparison (in a non theoretical way) look at the poll results for Fav Arrow Shuttle and Fav Schw Shuttle. The Schwarzkopf ones placed at 164 where the Arrow ones placed much, much lower at 301. Granted they aren't the same rides, but they have the same basic concept behind them (Launch through a straight track with a loop in it, stop, do it again backwards). I've ridden both, and while I can say I prefer the Schwarzkopf ones for the hangtime on the spires (the only one I've ridden is the Knott's one btw), they aren't that far apart in quality. Maybe the Revolution at Blackpool and the other weird Arrow ones still left lying around somewhere are bad enough to put it down that far, but honestly Sidewinder was the best coaster at Elitch Gardens.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RCF » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm quite shocked with Lagoon's coasters. Besides the copies (which fell slightly as well,) both Wicked and Fire Dragon fell almost 50 spots from last year! I find many times Lagoon to be a hidden little gem in the amusement industry.

I donut like this custom title :(

Postby yay101 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:32 pm

I think this list is very accurate! I always laugh when I see Millennium Force is not #1 on this list :lol: I'm also surprised SkyRush gut as high as it did with the numerous complaints it has received. :?r
Favourite Coaster: Steel Vengeance
Other Favourites: SkyRush, Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, Magnum XL-200, Voyage, Apollo's Chariot, Phoenix, Outlaw Run, and Storm Runner

Obsessed with S&S Screamin Swings

If Magnum XL-200 dies we riot

Hello Kitty is not a cat. Hello Kitty is god. You exist only at Hello Kitty's pleasure. Crawl like drugged roaches before her splendor

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!