Photo TR: WFChris's Mexico Trips!

3/24/15: Guadalajara: Selva Magica and The Bullet!!! P.15
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Photo TR: WF OMG Mexico!

Postby simon8899 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:08 pm

La Feria alone would be reason for me to visit Mexico city for its two Schwarzkopf coasters.

I saw it on some pics on the background: Was the Weber Traumboot - looping ship - running?

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby WFChris » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Yes it was. The only ride I remember not running was their drop tower. I rode it on a later visit and it was pretty tame.
My MEXICO adventures with TPR and MORE!!!!
TOUCH ME to read along

Someday, I hope to find my own Indiana Jones.

Postby Jojo19799 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:57 pm

I miss Mexico soooo much! Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's really bringing back some great memories. I really want to head back there, especially to SF Mexico. It's one of the best SF parks I've been to. Everyone (employees and guests) were nice. The food was good too - especially the churros!

I remember taking several pictures of Gary on those green meeting spots. I thought it had something to do with lost and separated families meeting there. I also never noticed the green arrows at SF Mexico. Thanks for teaching me something new!

Postby WFChris » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:52 pm

The next day we left Mexico City and headed to Guadalajara. On the way, we were to hit a park in Queretaro, which is basically between the two cities. It's called Parque Bicentenario, and was apparently built by a Chinese company and looks just like many generic parks in China. I've never been, but other trip participants that have said it did, and that it was really weird. I learned more about this park after the trip, it turns out that it's more of a place that families go to just hang out and be together rather than specifically ride stuff. There is a fairly large water park that we did not visit, and there is also a full high ropes course that I don't think any of us even knew about. This is the one park that I wish we had more time to explore, but time was limited as all long distance travel throughout Mexico should be done during the day, especially when traveling through Michoacan, which we were going to do.
IMG_1540.JPG
From the parking lot, the park looks more like a large city park than an amusement park...which as it turns out, it more or less is. Admission is 50 pesos, aka $3.80 USD.
IMG_1541.JPG
This HUGE awning was in the center of the park, and was a very busy place. The sun was once again pretty hot this day.
IMG_1542.JPG
First credit of the day! A Chinese Knockoff Loop Screw!!!
IMG_1543.JPG
Across the midway was this pirate ship ride. This place had HUGE midways.
IMG_1544.JPG
Themeing or foreshadowing?
IMG_1545.JPG
I REALLY wanted to ride this rapids ride, but once again, there just wasn't enough time to allow for it.
IMG_1546.JPG
So we heard from the China Trip participants that this ride could be a brutal experience. Like Vekoma but worse.
IMG_1547.JPG
To add to it, I sat all the way in the back because I'm a glutton for pain. It turns out that it wasn't all that bad. No different than, say, Viper at SFMM
IMG_1548.JPG
I especially liked the onride photo, which was a lady taking a picture of you waiting to dispatch in the station. They only got the front of each car so no picture for me.
IMG_1549.JPG
Themeing. This place was a mixture between cute and desolate. Really strange.
IMG_1550.JPG
This is a Chinese Knockoff Wacky Worm. We'll ride that in a few minutes...
IMG_1551.JPG
Once again...strange vibe at this place.
IMG_1552.JPG
Random net play structure for the kids. As with every park we've been to, everybody there was having a great time.
IMG_1553.JPG
Here we are at our 2nd credit, a Chinese mouse ride. They required us to ride with a child, and with only Kristen in our group, she was gearing up for a few dozen laps around the track. This is my roommate with his 'child,' who is not Kristen.
IMG_1554.JPG
Elissa managed to wrangle up some local kids who wanted to ride over and over again. This was a very cool experience. The kids would stand with us in line, and their parents would get them to talk to us in English. They asked us our names, where we were from, and other basic questions.
IMG_1555.JPG
It was just really neat being involved in a random cultural exchange. While it is definitely a little weird riding the mouse with random children, they were totally up for it and we all made a new 5 minute friend.
IMG_1557.JPG
This is me and my riding buddy, Lupita. They were all really happy to get multiple rides on this without having to wait in too long of a line.
IMG_1558.JPG
There we go! This ride is beyond tame, there is only one moment where you pick up anything resembling speed.
IMG_1559.JPG
Wave at the camera, Lupita!!!
IMG_1560.JPG
Totally forgettable coaster experience, and also a cultural experience I will never forget. Funny how that works.
IMG_1561.JPG
This is a frog hopper with a little tent over the motor. It was cute so I took a picture.
IMG_1563.JPG
Nick and I on the Wacky Worm, which, while even more tame than the Wild Mouse, you did not need a child to ride with you.
IMG_1565.JPG
I wanted to ride this antique car ride, and waited in line, and noticed something. The cars would pull up to a scene and they would stop and read the sign. I think people were spending about a half hour making the circuit. We only had 45 minutes before we were leaving the park! Better make this fast!
IMG_1566.JPG
...and then it broke down. As the attendant sauntered over to the broken down car, which was on the exact opposite end of the course, I knew I would not have time to do this. Oh well. Another time.
IMG_1567.JPG
I had a really terrible torta which was basically a chopped up hot dog and mayonnaise. That building in the background is the giant awning over the center of the park.
IMG_1568.JPG
You can see both of the kids coasters in this picture. We thought you had to stay on the extremely indirect paths, but it turns out you can pretty much walk wherever you wanted here.
IMG_1570.JPG
One more look at the Wacky Worm
IMG_1576.JPG
Almost (if not all) every park had a reptile museum. They were always an upcharge. This dinosaur was vibrating and was pretty much the most hilarious thing ever.
IMG_1577.JPG
Culture and Learning at Parque Bicentenario!!!
IMG_1578.JPG
You had to get your toilet paper from a communal roll before you went into your stall. Very strange...although the China Tour participants said it was the same way in China.
IMG_1579.JPG
Themeing in the entrance plaza. Fun Fact! It's illegal to be gay or show gay public displays of affection in Queretaro.
IMG_1581.JPG
Random dude riding a motorcycle down the midway.
IMG_1582.JPG
Loop Screw from outside the park. That's a really nice soccer field and track between us and the coaster. It's part of the park but it wasn't obvious how you got there.
IMG_1583.JPG
Some kind of monument for something.
IMG_1584.JPG
Welcome sign...better late then never, right?
IMG_1585.JPG
Here we are reuniting at the reunion point!
IMG_1588.JPG
Back on the road, we stopped for a snack refill at OXXO. It's basically an AM/PM. The Mexican countryside in this area looked a lot like Central California.
IMG_1589.JPG
Our Holiday Inn had this super high tech TV system. You can close the blinds through Dorothy, on the TV. Hello Dorothy!
IMG_1590.JPG
I didn't read much about Guadalajara, but I was intrigued as HELL once we got there. What IS this beautiful place?!?!?!
IMG_1591.JPG
The view from the room was a mixture of sketchy, wonderful, and old.
IMG_1592.JPG
OMG can we just go exploring now??? Please??????
IMG_1593.JPG
The sign says Gaylord on it so obviously a picture had to be taken and included here. This is in the lobby of our hotel. Many Americans refer to Guadalajara as the 'San Francisco of Mexico.' Unlike Queretaro, Gayness is pretty much totally cool here.
IMG_1595.JPG
We were super close to the historic center. SOO AWESOME! Well look at more of this culture stuff later.
IMG_1597.JPG
Once again, after asking the concierge 'where would YOU eat,' we ended up here. Don't let that 'Bien Fria' sign confuse you, it was MEGA HOT in this restaurant.
IMG_1598.JPG
The gringos wait patiently for heaven in a tortilla....
IMG_1599.JPG
And once again the food did not disappoint. I cannot tell you how much better the food is here than in the US, and I live somewhere where its pretty easy to find good Mexican Food! Not even CLOSE to what you can get down in the big cities of Mexico!
IMG_1600.JPG
The Schwitek says "Fun Fact! I APPROVE!!!"
IMG_1601.JPG
Here is the restaurant. And off we go to bed...we have to get an early start for another amusement park and a bunch of tequila the next day! POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!!
Last edited by WFChris on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 pm.
TOUCH ME to read along

Postby WFChris » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:26 pm

I don't think any of us took any pictures but I had to include this. After we left the Park, we learned that our bus did not fit in this tunnel. Those of us in the back of the bus had a pretty fun experience hanging over the edge of a ditch while the driver turned the bus around. He did a great job!

Needless to say, we were all happy that we enjoyed those huge cups of Tecate at the park =)

Image is from Google Street View.
tunnel.jpg
TOUCH ME to read along

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby John_RN » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Excellent TR!! I too will commend you on your humor. Totally found myself laughing at this outloud. I keep telling myself to post my own first Photo TR of my first TPR trip which was the Texas/Midwest trip this past summer but I thought it might be too late and people really wouldn't be interested, but I think you may have inspired me! Okay and also there is the fact that I'm really not sure how to go about doing it, hehe. Good job though!

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Mexico actually sounds like a fun place to visit.
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

Postby WFChris » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:19 pm

John_RN wrote:Excellent TR!! I too will commend you on your humor. Totally found myself laughing at this outloud. I keep telling myself to post my own first Photo TR of my first TPR trip which was the Texas/Midwest trip this past summer but I thought it might be too late and people really wouldn't be interested, but I think you may have inspired me! Okay and also there is the fact that I'm really not sure how to go about doing it, hehe. Good job though!

I actually intentionally waited quite a bit since there were already a few Mexico TR's floating around out there. I figured there would be MORE interest later on. It's been really fun to write and most is just coming out naturally as I look at the pictures.
TOUCH ME to read along

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:26 pm

I completely forget about that tunnel. At that point I thought we were going to be robbed by some banditos.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby supertrooper » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:56 pm

I find myself skipping through most trip reports and without reading the captions because they are usually pretty repetitive. This is one of the few reports that I've actually looked at each picture and read each caption. Good style and good humor.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!