Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

P. 82 - Full POV Finally posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

Postby bill_s » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:03 pm

thrilladdict wrote:A lot of people in this thread don't seem to understand the difference between how LIM's and LSM's work when they aren't on....

It's simple:
LIM's allow fins to pass through freely while powered off...
LSM's don't allow fins to pass through freely while powered off...

LSM coasters don't need complicated anti-rollback mechanisms like the pneumatics on TTD/Ka or rows of skid brakes on the spaghetti bowls.

That's interesting because a full speed rollback would reach about 120 MPH and the needed curving recovery would be the largest element of the whole coaster except the lift itself.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby thrilladdict » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:33 pm

You missed my point... the Skyplex coaster is an LSM launch meaning that a rollback would just slowly roll back down the hill... probably under 10mph like the Maverick video linked earlier in the thread.

There's no special programming or brakes or anything since the LSM's just act as brakes when they don't have any power.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:02 pm

So...has anything started happening on the site where this is going? I hadn't noticed anything the past few times I've been over by there (last time I rode by was in April).
Coaster Count: 130
Top 10:

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:40 pm

^They're working on getting the Mango's Garage done first, then you'll see more progress on the other side of the street.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby linearinduction » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:22 pm

DILinator wrote:
Hilltopper39 wrote:For whatever it's worth it's really looks more like a LIM powered vertical lift than a "launch", not that it changes the discussion any.

I had tried to avoid any actual designation as to what kind of launch it was, though I agree with your assessment, because I'm not sure I've seen it described anywhere, and this project still feels SO fluid at this point.

^I'm right there with you! If they can pull this off, it will be pretty awesome!

Regarding Wicked at Lagoon, that is an example of a vertical launch, but on a much smaller scale than what it appears will be on this... Still, valid question for our Lagoon aficionados... What is the reliability/downtime like on Wicked?

The only real down time Wicked has is when an LSM Stator Fails. It's usually back up the next day after it's been replaced. This happened on the Launch Tower the other week as a matter of fact.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Don't You Know Who I Am? LagoonisFun.com

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RCF » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Also, Wicked rarely rollbacks. Last I heard of it happening was once last year because it was the first one to be recorded.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby linearinduction » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:31 pm

RCF wrote:Also, Wicked rarely rollbacks. Last I heard of it happening was once last year because it was the first one to be recorded.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

That was at least the second to be recorded, as I believe there have been 3 total caught on video. Also, the only time it really rolls back (Launch Abort) is when the Train ahead doesn't clear the Safety Brake in time. Then it's just a quick system reset and they cycle the trains each once after and it's good. Maybe 10 minutes for it all and it's back to regular operation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Don't You Know Who I Am? LagoonisFun.com

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 am

Has there been any recent updates to this project?
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 am

^The garage that must be built before the Skyplex construction can begin is coming along nicely and survived the hurricane! I believe they are on target to get that open before the new year and then we may start seeing some more activity in the Skyplex corner.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby ETapley0687 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:57 am

It looks like there's an update over at Business Journal, but you need a subscription to view it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/10/27/skyplex-developer-ride-parts-being-built-themes.html
Season Pass Podcast "Your Ticket To Ride" The Essential Theme Park Podcast.
http://seasonpasspodcast.com/

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!