Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

P. 82 - Full POV Finally posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

Postby DILinator » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:31 am

Watching that latest POV was really awesome, and got me psyched for this project!

Having said that, however, I am having serious doubts about a vertical launch system of that height being anything remotely resembling reliable! On the plus side though, rollbacks should be much more frequent than on TTD, and would be pretty fun!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:14 am

The vertical launch lift thingy did seem a little like something that would be a maintenance nightmare, but hey, who knows.
A vertical lift of that height and speed would also be awesome. The lack of OTSRs in the POV also makes me excited to see how it turns out
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:50 am

DILinator wrote:Having said that, however, I am having serious doubts about a vertical launch system of that height being anything remotely resembling reliable! On the plus side though, rollbacks should be much more frequent than on TTD, and would be pretty fun!

I really don't get this statement though. . . What makes you think that this launch won't be reliable?? (Aside from the height as you mentioned.) I really don't see how height alone is going to cause the launch to be unreliable. . . And what makes you think this coaster is going to have frequent roll backs?? Aside from the height, and hope??
Bigger is not always better.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RCF » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:54 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:
DILinator wrote:Having said that, however, I am having serious doubts about a vertical launch system of that height being anything remotely resembling reliable! On the plus side though, rollbacks should be much more frequent than on TTD, and would be pretty fun!

I really don't get this statement though. . . What makes you think that this launch won't be reliable?? (Aside from the height as you mentioned.) I really don't see how height alone is going to cause the launch to be unreliable. . . And what makes you think this coaster is going to have frequent roll backs?? Aside from the height, and hope??

My best guess would be that it's a vertical launch. Only one other coaster does that, (Wicked at Lagoon,) and even then it launches horizontally first before going up the launch on the tower.

Unless I'm mistaken that there is another vertical launch coaster out there.

Postby DILinator » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:04 am

DoinItForTheFame wrote:

I'm not 100% sure who they settled on building this thing (or even if they have), but I know at one point Intamin was talked about. If that's still the case, no need to explain further! :lol:

However, regardless of manufacturer, launched coasters do experience more than typical downtime usually, and as I was watching the POV, I was just struck by the fact that if the ENTIRE launch doesn't go off without a hitch, every time, going completely vertical no less, there's going to be rollbacks - plenty of them! Besides that, there are just other things about this project that seem a little... I don't know... Off? Sketchy? Hard to pin down, but watching that video, the fact that it's a huge vertical launch (has that ever been done, even on a smaller scale), struck me as a definite potential problem spot, right off the bat. Hopefully not, but it's a reasonable thought, at the very least...

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Vortex Lover » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 am

DILinator wrote:
DoinItForTheFame wrote:

I'm not 100% sure who they settled on building this thing (or even if they have), but I know at one point Intamin was talked about. If that's still the case, no need to explain further!

However, regardless of manufacturer, launched coasters do experience more than typical downtime usually, and as I was watching the POV, I was just struck by the fact that if the ENTIRE launch doesn't go off without a hitch, every time, going completely vertical no less, there's going to be rollbacks - plenty of them! Besides that, there are just other things about this project that seem a little... I don't know... Off? Sketchy? Hard to pin down, but watching that video, the fact that it's a huge vertical launch (has that ever been done, even on a smaller scale), struck me as a definite potential problem spot, right off the bat. Hopefully not, but it's a reasonable thought, at the very least...

The only coaster that comes to mind with a vertical launch is Wicked at Lagoon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Something.....Something.....Something!http://themeparkreview.com/forum/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature#

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:37 am

For whatever it's worth it's really looks more like a LIM powered vertical lift than a "launch", not that it changes the discussion any.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dominionboy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:40 pm

Im still crossing my fingers that this will happen

Postby DILinator » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:49 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:For whatever it's worth it's really looks more like a LIM powered vertical lift than a "launch", not that it changes the discussion any.

I had tried to avoid any actual designation as to what kind of launch it was, though I agree with your assessment, because I'm not sure I've seen it described anywhere, and this project still feels SO fluid at this point.

^I'm right there with you! If they can pull this off, it will be pretty awesome!

Regarding Wicked at Lagoon, that is an example of a vertical launch, but on a much smaller scale than what it appears will be on this... Still, valid question for our Lagoon aficionados... What is the reliability/downtime like on Wicked?

I am stupid.

Postby I love pie » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:15 pm

Just imagine a rollback on that thing. :cool:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!