TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Skyplex, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index (LINK COMING SOON).

Skyplex's Official Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

November 23rd, 2013 - World's Tallest Roller Coaster Announced for Florida (See Post Below)

May 30th, 2014 - Polercoaster confirmed to be located in Central Florida

June 2nd, 2014 - Polercoaster to be built on the intersection of Sand Lake Road & International Drive in Orlando, FL

June 5th, 2014 - "The Skyscraper at Skyplex" details announced!

March 21st, 2014 - "The Skyscraper at Skyplex" video posted!

November 17th, 2014 - "The Skyscraper at Skyplex" POV video posted!

February 12th, 2015 - SkyFall, World's Tallest Drop Tower coming to Skyplex; Intamin manufacturing Skyscraper and SkyFall; Mango's Orlando construction update

March 4th, 2015 - Updated layout Skyscraper POV video posted!

March 13th, 2015 - New zipline attraction, new open air promenade and grocery chain announced for Skyplex

March 21st, 2015 - Mango's Tropical Cafe Orlando interior concept art released

Original Post:

This was a pretty big announcement at IAAPA. We will know more details in the next couple of weeks, but at the moment, here is what we know.

Height: 525 feet

Length: 8,000+ feet of track

Builder: US Thrill Rides/S&S

Check out this video:

Edited by SharkTums

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a thought...

is the coaster 525ft tall, or is the structure 525 feet tall...

looking at the size of that observation deck at the top, that looks like a large discrepancy...

It is possible that the coaster could pass through the observation structure making it the full height. In any case it will be the tallest coaster in the world.

I'm a fan of S&S Rides so when they announced this, I was really happy. Ive heard the contract was signed on the ride but I'm still wondering what kind of time frame we are looking at. I mean not just because of its height but also it's one of the first to be built. It's going to be interesting to follow the construction on this. I was thinking Miami would of been the location but now I kind of think it would be cool near a beach town like Fort Walton. I mean obvious choice is Orlando on I-4 but a 525 foot coaster sells itself.

Looks really cool, I only hope that going BIG with their first two coasters of this model (essentially prototypes) doesn't come to haunt them with unforeseen problems like building X did to Arrow Dynamics.

Also just to point this out, the direct link to the announcement video from TPR's front page isn't working for me.

I'm a fan of S&S Rides so when they announced this, I was really happy. Ive heard the contract was signed on the ride but I'm still wondering what kind of time frame we are looking at. I mean not just because of its height but also it's one of the first to be built. It's going to be interesting to follow the construction on this. I was thinking Miami would of been the location but now I kind of think it would be cool near a beach town like Fort Walton. I mean obvious choice is Orlando on I-4 but a 525 foot coaster sells itself.

I think it was almost two full years of construction.

I can wait to watch this unfold.

Cant believe people are being negative about this. As of now its a new one of a kind coaster. We as enthusiasts should be happy with progress still happening on new and unique rides.

I'm all for it. Hopefully it'll be finished and close to Orlando for my trip late 2015

In the video I saw with Robb, this ride will NOT be a polarcoaster.

Are you a troll or the biggest idiot in the world? Because you obviously either:

A. Didn't watch the video.

B. Watched the video and are a complete idiot

C. Are a troll

There are no other possible options.

What's everyone's best guess on where this thing is going? Orlando, Miami, Tampa. I'd be shocked if it is built anywhere else. I'm still kind of shocked someone other than six flags or cedar fair is dropping this amount of coin on the worlds tallest coaster.

It is definitely a unique & different kind of project...I am glad that someone is trying to do something completely different from the norm!

Looking forward to watching both towers and coasters being built and hearing opinions from the enthusiasts once these have opened for business.

If I had to take a crack at it in Orlando I would say one of three places. Either Old Town/Fun Spot (Highly Doubt), IDrive Live more closer to the corner of Sand Lake and IDrive since the Wyndham was cleared, or the new Festival Bay. Festival Bay is getting torn up and its been kinda quiet about whats going on. If Daytona it would go near the pier or Hard Rock Hotel. If Tampa I could only see it near the Aquarium or the St Pete Pier but those two areas seem like it would stick out of place. Im thinking mainly Orlando because maybe it might be too much of a risk financially to have it on either coast.

I'm interested in seeing the overall layout. Banked curves and corkscrews seems to be the only thing feasible with this limited circular footprint. The height factor could really add to the thrill. My only complaint is those circular lifts, if you're going to go that far with something like this, at least engineer a more efficient lift system.

they might not be going for efficiency, but for the view aspect... going up a straight vertical lift, you don't really get to enjoy the surrounding views.. this way, you can... think about the Intamin Gyro Drop style... you get to enjoy the view all around before plummeting back down...

I am intrigued by the rest of the ride though, not sure how much you can do with the limited size, without using breaks every 150ft or so...