A TPR Japan 2013 Trip Report

Or "I think I'm turning Japanese; I really think so."
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: A TPR Japan 2013 Trip Report

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:34 pm

:( We are so sad we had to miss this part of the beginning of the tour.
Couldn't afford the extra few days to tack on. Must go back to Kyoto
and Hirakata next (not this one in March) Japan tour, please?
Thanks for the great ongoing TR, Robert.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Xcoaster » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:48 pm

And here's the punchline: that mackerel cost us 9,390 yen, about nine dollars. NINE DOLLARS. In Los Angeles, they take your car keys for something that good.
Are you sure it wasn't 939 yen? 9,390 is about 90 dollars (which could also be believable, considering how good it sounded).

These wacky characters on display above the entrance only hint at the copious what-the-effery waiting inside. I would guess that the details of these icons – the winking blue flame ghost, the one-eyed parasol guy, the cat geisha (or whatever they are supposed to be) – are culturally significant, but to uneducated gaijin like myself, they are wonderfully mystifying, as are so many of the details of the ride itself.
One eyed guy = Hitotsume Kozo; winking blue flame ghost = typical Yurei; the one-eyed parasol guy = Karakasa-obake; cat geisha = Nekomata (Thanks to the book "Yokai Attack", which I picked up after one of these trips).
I agree with you on the dark-ride, that one was among my favorites. It had the perfect mixture of creepiness, cuteness, and WTF Japanese mythology.

Maybe if you are ten years old and have some grasp of what the damn you're supposed to do to "win" the "game," maybe then you'd want to spend an appreciable amount of time wandering around Dowsing Mountain.
I was like you, I saw that mountain and was all "OMG, something incredible must be in there!" But then I noticed it was called "Dowsing Mountain" (which sounded odd, and boring), saw that it appeared to be some kind of interactive walkthrough, and so decided to skip it in order to save on time. Thanks for making me feel good about that decision.

You managed to get a good first Jet Coaster - Red Falcon is probably my favorite of that variety.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Xcoaster wrote:
And here's the punchline: that mackerel cost us 9,390 yen, about nine dollars. NINE DOLLARS. In Los Angeles, they take your car keys for something that good.
Are you sure it wasn't 939 yen? 9,390 is about 90 dollars (which could also be believable, considering how good it sounded).

Thanks for catching that! Of course, you are right. I went back and looked at the receipt again (I still have it). The mackerel was 900 yen. The TOTAL BILL was 9,390, for four people, with booze. Fixed.

Xcoaster wrote:
These wacky characters on display above the entrance only hint at the copious what-the-effery waiting inside. I would guess that the details of these icons – the winking blue flame ghost, the one-eyed parasol guy, the cat geisha (or whatever they are supposed to be) – are culturally significant, but to uneducated gaijin like myself, they are wonderfully mystifying, as are so many of the details of the ride itself.
One eyed guy = Hitotsume Kozo; winking blue flame ghost = typical Yurei; the one-eyed parasol guy = Karakasa-obake; cat geisha = Nekomata (Thanks to the book "Yokai Attack", which I picked up after one of these trips).

I have to get that book!

Xcoaster wrote:
Maybe if you are ten years old and have some grasp of what the damn you're supposed to do to "win" the "game," maybe then you'd want to spend an appreciable amount of time wandering around Dowsing Mountain.
I was like you, I saw that mountain and was all "OMG, something incredible must be in there!" But then I noticed it was called "Dowsing Mountain" (which sounded odd, and boring), saw that it appeared to be some kind of interactive walkthrough, and so decided to skip it in order to save on time. Thanks for making me feel good about that decision.

Totally my pleasure. ;)
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:27 am

How the hell did I miss Octopus Panic!?!? BEST RIDE NAME EVER!!!!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:44 am

Hirakata was a very cool little park. And that temple was a very long, worthwhile walk.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby rctneil » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:13 am

cfc wrote:Hirakata was a very cool little park. And that temple was a very long, worthwhile walk.

Chuck, Here's your "Conquered the shrine hill walk" picture:

chuck_succeed.jpg

and Robert, great overview of the day at Hirakata. I really wasn't expecting much from this park but it surprised me greatly. ELF was a nice little ride and it's high position on the high was quite unique. The Jet Coaster just lumbered along and they don't really kill you but are strangely fun. The seats are oddly tight and awkward though.

I also noticed the Spinner had lost it's spin and Peekaboo Town was much better than the horror of Fantastic Coaster Rowdy.

The walkthrough where you had to hit sticks on different coloured lights in a maze was very bizzare but great fun!
Last edited by rctneil on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:17 am.
TRIPS:
West Coast Tour 2009 - || - Middle America 2010 - || - IntimidaTOUR 2010 - || - Best of China 2012
Taiwan 2013 - || - Japan 2013 - || Scandinavia 2014
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5a7b5ea10f265e536d315d1bd5a624a7.jpg[/img][/url]

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:15 am

^And then, my heart exploded. :lol:

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:36 am

Two things:

- That sushi meal sounds absolutely amazing. Seething with jealousy right now.

- I want Octopus Panic for my back yard

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Robert, so great going through these pics.

That market arcade was full of cool stuff. We just happened to walk through it on the way back to our hotel.....I had no idea that it was the second oldest in Japan.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Great report...I definitely need to get to Japan as it's on my bucket list.

Octopus Panic has to be right up there with Hidden Anaconda, Orphan Rocker and Steel Eel for best ride names ever! :lol:

Edit: Might as well thrown in 'Elf: A Wooden Roller Coaster - Episode of Little Fairies' in the mix too!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!