Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Parks Creating Rides In-house

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:09 am

Garet wrote:
Noporian wrote:Adventure island in britain did an amazing job with the time machine:

They've made some of their other rides themselves as well

Check out the first post, it was seeing how much Adventure Island made themselves that made me start this thread. ;)

:oops:

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:18 am

I'm totally okay with the construction of in-house rides...if the park knows how to design a good ride. Obviously companies are more skilled at it, so obviously if the company has no experience with designing a coaster then it's best to not do it. However, I've ridden Viper at SFGAm (my only in-house coaster I can come up with off the top of my head) and it is phenomenal.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:05 am

If the in-house rides are built by parks like Disney parks, Lagoon and SF parks, there would be definitely no problem as they know what they are doing and their designs have been proven well. But if the park is as sketchy as that messed up park in Italy, hell no! Credit whoring is less important than staying safe.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:34 am

Isn't the Calico Mine Train also built in-house? I know Bud Hurlbut collaborated with Arrow to design some rides, but I think this was independent from that. He had to sell his personal belongings and convince Walter Knott to suspend rent so he could have enough funds to complete the ride. Now it's literally a cornerstone in Knott's Berry Farm, and with the recent refurb, is running better than ever.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:13 pm

I have a feeling every haunted house walk through in China was homemade and they were awesome.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:25 am

The river rampage at Dollywood was built in-house.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:35 pm

StuckInSD wrote:Isn't the Calico Mine Train also built in-house? I know Bud Hurlbut collaborated with Arrow to design some rides, but I think this was independent from that. He had to sell his personal belongings and convince Walter Knott to suspend rent so he could have enough funds to complete the ride. Now it's literally a cornerstone in Knott's Berry Farm, and with the recent refurb, is running better than ever.

Yes. His company built miniature trains and he built this ride himself since at the time Knott's was essentially a carnival. Vendors rented space from Knott's.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:15 am

larrygator wrote:I have a feeling every haunted house walk through in China was homemade and they were awesome.

I suspect you're right. I enjoyed them, too.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:42 am

I still can't believe Lagoon designed Cannibal themselves. That ride is fantastic.
Attachments
Cannibal.jpg

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:27 am

larrygator wrote:I have a feeling every haunted house walk through in China was homemade and they were awesome.

I'd agree with this, and a lot of the Japanese haunt houses and dark rides, too.

Homemade, a lot of times totally WTF, and very enjoyable, even though you understood nothing! :)
Attachments
SteveC_13.jpg
In a walk through haunt house, with mini-flashlights. Thanks SteveC for the pic of me. TPR 2007 Japan Tour.
SteveC_13.jpg (116.42 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS