Parks Creating Rides In-house

What Do You Think?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Parks Creating Rides In-house

Postby simon8899 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:52 am

The Mississippi Paddle Boats at Heide-Park were made by the park themselves - but are now defunct.

www.freizeitpark-welt.de

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:04 am

The Boat Chute at Lake Winnie was designed by the park's founder.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:35 am

Wow I was surprised by how many responses were of parks in-house manufacturing or designing roller-coasters, I think in my mind making a flat from scratch seemed easier and cheaper but now I think about it I can see where making a roller-coaster could just as well be achieved so thanks for all your responses, it gives me home that sometime down the line, the rct wooden reverser may be recreated by a park somewhere (although yes I realize turntables can do the same purpose and achieve the same results but I just always wanted to see a real life version) :Pr

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:12 am

deathbydinn wrote:Viper at SF Great America was manufactured in house.

See, here is one of the biggest misconception about "in house" coasters. Many people think it's just the parks own design and maintenance staff, but really what an "in-house" ride means is that a park decided they wanted a ride, probably went out and got bids from many difference "turn key" companies, but couldn't find one that would be a good fit, so they went at it on their own.

In Viper's case, while the ride was certainly "produced" by their in-house (meaning Six Flags corporate engineering team), they did outsource most of the ride components. I know they went to Dennis Starkey and his area of expertise to design and hire the builders for the ride. I'm pretty sure PTC had some involvement with it. The design was a modified version of the Cyclone. And they hired several different construction contractors for the actual construction of the ride.

"In-House" doesn't always mean it's the park staff out there with hammer and nails, it just means that instead of hiring one company, like B&M, Intamin, GCI, etc, to do all the work to bring the completion of a coaster together, the park handles all of that.

--Robb

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Jim S. » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:32 pm

azza29 wrote:Who built Knoebels' Flyer? The exposed tractor engine made me think it might have been an in-house job, or at least a prototype.

The Flyer is from a defunct manufacturer whose name I can't remember. I don't know if the engine is original, although the conversion to propane was probably done by Knoebels.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Dr. M » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:51 pm

I don't think anybody's mentioned The Haunted Mansion, which is easily my personal favorite example. I know the props and effects were all done in-house, not sure about the ride system itself, but that's enough to count in my book.
-Dr. M

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby linearinduction » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:49 am

Along the lines of what Robb said, Lagoon started looking around for a Compact Launched Coaster and couldn't find one they liked or was within their budget. Since the Park's Engineer, Dal Freeman, used to work in Arrow Dynamics as an Engineer, he developed the concept and design that became Wicked. Instead of tackling the entire Project by themselves, they enlisted Zierer. In the case of BomBora, Lagoon was looking around for a Family Coaster that offered a little more and decided to have Dal Freeman Design and Engineer the Ride. Lagoon's new "Mega Coaster" is already under construction and is being built in the same fashion as BomBora.

BomBora
Manufacturer: Lagoon Corporation
Designer: Dal Freeman (and Lagoon's Engineering Department)
Construction: Lagoon Corporation
Uprights and Track: Intermountain Lift, Inc.
Trains, Lift, Brakes, etc.: ART Engineering GmbH
Controls and Safety System: Actemium Controlmatic GmbH
Last edited by linearinduction on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:28 am.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Bear92 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:53 am

Blackpool's Wild Mouse springs to mind!

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 am

Spideyfreak wrote:Blazing Fury/Fire in the Hole were in house projects.

Not to mention the Flooded Mine (both parks), the waterboggins (both parks), Grandfather's Mansion/Inventor's Mansion, and past attractions such as the Gandy Dancer and Rube Dugin's Diving Bell at SDC. I'm sure I'm forgetting a number of attractions as well. I know both parks used to have lots of play structures and little side-attractions that were custom as well. The Silver Dollar City Company used to almost be seen as the Disney of the Midwest... Lots of interesting stories behind that era.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby caffeine_demon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Montaña Rusa - Tibidabo
rcdb.com/1578.htm

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!