Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:44 am

I haven't spent that much time in Richmond, but you might want to try one of the restaurants on Shockloe Slip by the James River: http://www.shockoeslip.org/restaurants.php. I've eaten at the Tobacco Company, and it's very good (but I haven't been there in a few years).

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:36 am

That hot dog place sounds excellent. I'm not sure we will have time to hit downtown but if we can i'll go try that place.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:49 am

Bottoms Up Pizza is another popular local joint in Richmond, but I've never tired it.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:52 am

Whatever that pizza is in the main picture that thing looks great!

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Tanks4me05 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:27 am

If you are visiting Martin's Fantasy Island or just driving through the Buffalo area to another park, I got a bunch in order of increasing distance from the park:

Jasmine Thai Restaurant: 1330 Niagara Falls Boulevard, Tonawanda, NY (10.5 miles, 14 minutes): Thai restaurant. Surprisingly cheap and really good.
Menu: http://www.jasminethairestaurant.com/Index.html

Duff's: 3651 Sheridan Drive, Amherst, NY (12 miles, 15 minutes): Generally known as the best restaurant for Buffalo Wings, the city's most famous recipe.
Menu: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52ddad0ae4b01d8ef4e51a2e/t/53e6b668e4b05a3ac1740bde/1407628904508/Duff%27s+Menu+-+Amherst+Location-6-13-13-2.pdf

Blue Fire Bar & Grille: 1340 Millersport Highway, Amherst, NY (12.4 miles, 15 minutes): Higher end restaurant attached to the Buffalo Marriott Niagara; no cohesive theme to the restaurant's menu, though it does drift a tad towards Asian inspired cuisine.
Menu: http://www.bluefiregrillbuffalo.com/menu.html

Crossroads Culinary Center (University at Buffalo) Frontier Road, Buffalo, NY (13.2 miles, 17 minutes): The other restaurants are still just as good as this, but I'm only writing about this more because there's a bunch of stuff that isn't mentioned online that needs to be said. Dinner is only served from 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM. I'd only recommend to eat there at dinner time, Sunday through Thursday evening, (Friday and Saturday are still good, but markedly worse in quality because 2/3 of the college is too drunk to remember what it tastes like; also the antipasto bar and premier entree are not offered then; more on that in a sec) between the third week of August and the second week of May. I think it is actually open during the summer as summer courses are still held here, but I can guarantee it will be similar in quality to the weekend menu. Yes, this is the main dining hall on campus. Normally you might not bat an eye at it, but I eat there almost every day as I attend the university. It's an insane $12 million facility that opened up about 2.5 years ago. It's $14.50 to get in (you don't need a UB ID card to eat there.) Sunday through Thursday you are offered a Premier Entree where you can pay another $14.50 for a different even higher quality entree. It's in the back of the "Ellicott complex," the giant dorm that looks like a lego set; try to park in the Red Jacket parking lot if you can, but beware that the roads on campus are really confusing for newcomers. The stations they have are:

-Oregano's: Pasta dishes; serves real Indian food every Wednesday which isn't mentioned online for some reason.
-Strictly Vegetarian: Self-explanatory; includes a 2-dozen item salad bar with up to a dozen homemade dressings.
-Foundations: Typical crappy college food. I usually don't bother.
-Global Noodle: Make your own soups.
-Blue Dragon: Asian/Chinese.
-Baked Creations: Legit NY-style Pizza as well as calzone-like baked items and a bread dipping station.
-Carve: Usually has various types of meats and hot dishes.
-Premier Entree (Sunday through Thursday only): You pay another $14.50 for a higher quality dish that you can only order once. Don't bother with Thursday's prime rib though, because they pre-cook it and it's overcooked like crazy. (The other steak dishes can be cooked to your liking though.)
-Antipasto Bar (Sunday through Thursday only): Self explanatory.
-Temptations: Various desserts
-Various drinks: Sodas, milk and soy milk, coffees/teas.
-There's a cereal station used all day (there's a General Mills plant in the area.)
All menu offerings are changed pretty much every day, so check the menu for the specific day you go, and though they "plan" the menu months in advance, don't bother counting on the accuracy until the week you go.

Menu: http://myubcard.com/dining/menu?date=1430668722

El Agave: 3870 Union Road, Buffalo, NY (17.5 miles, 22 minutes): Authentic Mexican restaurant.
Menu: http://agavemex.com/

The Blackthorn Restaurant & Pub: 2134 Seneca Street, Buffalo, NY (17.2 miles, 23 minutes): Excellent pub, featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.
Menu: http://www.blackthornrestaurant.com/menu.htm

Shogun Buffalo: 7590 Transit Road, Williamsville, NY (17.3 miles, 24 minutes): Hibachi/bar/Sushi bar/Japanese food. All you can eat Sushi on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Menu: http://www.hibachibuffalo.com/#

The Red Mill Inn: 8326 Main Street, Williamsville, NY (18.4 miles, 27 minutes): Higher end, sort of Italian.
Menu: http://www.redmillinn.com/Lunch_Menu.html

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:23 am

jjune4991 wrote:A few miles away from Busch Gardens Tampa Bay - Mr. Dunderbak's is a good German pub with "Americanized" German food.

Also, I have had many Latin American friends tell me that Taco Bus is very close to authentic Latin American food!

Both are great in my eyes!

Thank you for sharing this link - we went to Mr. Dunderbak's and confirm that this is a must-visit place while in Tampa!
Florida_2015 177.JPG
It's in a plaza and not really what I would consider a "Bier Garten", but that is really the only negative that I could come up with.
Florida_2015 178.JPG
They have a TON of craft and import beers on draft & in bottles, which is always a winner in my book.
Florida_2015 182.JPG
Very Bavarian-ey.
Florida_2015 184.JPG
The Spaetzle and 'Gramma's Cucumber Salat' were to die for! In the background, you can see the remains of our appetizer - Currywurst, which was also ridiculously good!
Florida_2015 185.JPG
This is my sour cream und mushroom schnitzel.
Florida_2015 186.JPG
Mit a side of potato pancakes und applesauce. In the background, you can see the German hot potato salad and red cabbage.
Florida_2015 187.JPG
That is a lot of food...and no, we could not finish it.
Florida_2015 188.JPG
An Americanized version of schnitzel...the Hawaiian Schnitzel with ham, pineapple and cherries on top. All good and reasonably priced!

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat May 02, 2015 11:09 am

^I am now sold on Mr. Dunderbak's!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:28 pm

^ It was VERY good, Chuck - I highly recommend it.

And I was even able to use the leftover schnitzel, cut it up and mix it in with two leftover pastas that we had at Carrabba's to make a very interesting leftover dish the night before we flew back to NY. That was quite tasty too! =)

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Mon May 04, 2015 11:58 am

Angle O. Descent wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
tarheel1231 wrote:If your in Charlotte for Carowinds and you decide to go downtown, make sure to try Fuel's Pizza. It's so good!

You're not the first person from NC I've heard raving about this place but I have to admit I thought it was terrible. I don't mean to be a New York pizza snob but with very few exceptions pizza just isn't worth getting if you're not in the New York or Chicago (in the U.S.).

The only way to pull off Pizza outside of those areas seems to be to do something a little different. The problems is that everyone tries (and fails) to copy New York or Chicago Pizza instead of putting their own twist on it and they can't duplicate it. I don't know why, some people say it's the water... the elevation... whatever, but nobody can duplicate it.

The only Pizza I've ever had outside of the New York or Chicago area that I've enjoyed are Grotto Pizza in Delaware (it sucks in Pennsylavnia but it's great in Delaware). They put their own twist on it and it worked out great for them, and Cesari's at Knoebels. Cesari's is very much a NY style pizza but for some reason it's good anyway... probably because the food at Knoebels defies the laws of nature and is always amazing.

Are there any good country-fried chicken places anybody would recommend in the Carowinds area?

Seconding this question. Also, in general, what are some good restaurants in Charlotte? I'm looking primarily for local food/ chains you can't find anywhere else, so not like Mexican food and such.
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat May 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Here's another Williamsburg joint I've been meaning to add. From the folks who brought you the Five Forks Cafe . . .

Honey Butter's Kitchen

This place offers "southern comfort" food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I prefer their breakfast offerings, myself, and I'm rather partial to their corn cakes (with honey butter), eggs, and bacon plate.

There is some overlap with the menu at Five Forks, but Honey Butter's offers some original items, too, not to mention weekly specials.

Honey Butter's Kitchen
4680 Monticello Ave.
Williamsburg, VA 23188

It's in Monticello Marketplace.
Last edited by cfc on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:45 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!