Top Roller Coaster Myths & Rumors!

What are the most common or outlandish?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Re: Top Roller Coaster Myths & Rumors!

Postby PaTim » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:55 pm

Mean Streak will eventually be reprofiled or replaced :) :) :) :) :)

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:06 pm

hey...hey wrote:
Moose wrote:Disny planned a park for Virginia but was canceled because of Nimbyism.

The park part is true, don't know about the Nimbyism part. It was supposed to be built in Haymarket, or right outside. Around the Leesburg-Warrenton area. I remember seeing the signs and banners that were hanging around everytime on our way to Kings Dominion. I believe it was going to be a colonial theme.

EDIT: It does look like it was for a citizen uprising.

GwaziBSRider1 wrote:^ If I remember correctly (and this part may be false), it was supposed to be built on or in the same area as the third Marriott's Great America that never materialized.

Wow never knew about this so I had to look it up. Link.

Shame both parks were canceled.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:23 pm

^Yes, there were issues about the park being too close to the site of the Battle of Bull Run and that it would "ruin" the historic character of a region that is now dotted with strip malls and Cracker Barrels. ;)

I had Virginia friends who were absolutely outraged at the thought of Disney building a park in the state (or at least near Manassas).

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby hey...hey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:38 pm

cfc wrote:^Yes, there were issues about the park being too close to the site of the Battle of Bull Run and that it would "ruin" the historic character of a region that is now dotted with strip malls and Cracker Barrels. ;)

I had Virginia friends who were absolutely outraged at the thought of Disney building a park in the state (or at least near Manassas).

Amen to whole strip mall thing. Plus, it seems every Civil War battlefield is slowly shrinking (Antietam, Manassas, etc...) That is except for Gettysburg. It would have been cool to have Disney in our "backyard".
Coaster Count: Steel-55 Wood-13 Total-68

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby JohnTheriault » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:47 pm

JayTricky wrote:I keep hearing that the blood waterfalls on Nemesis are infact Ribena fruit juice.

That a ride can't go upside down because it doesn't have shoulder restraints.

Hex is a true story.

Worst one. That its dangerous for the people at the front of the ride to put their hands up as it can slow the ride down and affect the aero dynamics. :wtf:

Stand up coasters are basically doing the same thing as arms up in the air, actually even more, and yet they still run...
Top 5 - 1.Leviathan 2.Kingda ka 3.Le vampire 4.Bizarro 5.The great white

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Schrecken » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:59 pm

The one that sticks in my mind the most is that several people have been decapitated over the years when they tried to stand up on Space Mountain at WDW (which of course isn't true).

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:59 pm

If a coaster is dropped off the lift "x" mph faster, it's top speed is "x" mph faster.

This is more of a misunderstanding among enthusiasts, but the speed off the lift impacts the top speed much less than you might think.
For example, El Toro's and Skyush's cables have been slowed down somewhat at some point since their opening, and I've heard many people say how much better a ride they think both would have been with the faster lift speed. Unless it is really a MAJOR difference, five mph slower will barely reduce the speed at all.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:03 am

^True. Comparing some skyrush POVs from 2012 and now (and even counting the seconds the ride takes to hit the brakes) there is nearly (if any) difference. The only part that seems affected is the first drop. That being said, I have only ridden it after 2012, so maybe someone who has tried both versions will be able to clarify this.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Thisisruss » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 am

There are some Alton Towers enthusiasts that seem to think that Nemesis has one train that is 3seconds faster than the other.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby coaster57 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:58 pm

It is a very, very common misconception that the Big Dipper at Geauga Lake was the longest roller coaster at the time of its opening. This is not true because the Thriller at Euclid Beach opened in 1924 and was 2,927 feet long, while the Big Dipper opened in 1925 and was only 2,680 feet long.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!