Top Roller Coaster Myths & Rumors!

What are the most common or outlandish?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The first, the last, and forevermore

Re: Top Roller Coaster Myths & Rumors!

Postby V2-dude » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:12 pm

aCoasterStory wrote:
smallpox wrote:It would be fun to grab a radar gun and test various coasters advertised speeds versus actual top speeds (acknowledging that conditions can alter performance), but i'm sure the parks would not be cool with that. hardly a "myth", anyway.

I was actually at a water park one time and there were park employees with a radar gun clocking how fast people were coming down a couple of the body slides.

Having worked at SFDK, I have been operating rides where this was going on. This was most commonly done on the Go Karts, but I have personally seen the results of more than one coaster. V2 and Kong both travel significantly slower than advertised, though I don't recall what their exact speeds. After its mishap atop tower 1, Superman now runs closer to 69-70mph, though it's still advertised as topping at 62 mph. That's all I know, but I'm sure the others are a bit off too.

Anyways, forgive me if this was already mentioned, but isn't there a myth that B:TR at GADV is haunted?
Why is it that every impulse I ride valleys?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Leviathan was originally planned for Knott's...let the mass debate begin.

Postby Moose » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Disny planned a park for Virginia but was canceled because of Nimbyism.

Postby thrillrider » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:41 pm

Gotta go with the "magnum is sinking" myth.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby VF15 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:38 pm

A common rumor in Minnesota is that High Roller at Valleyfair is actually the relocated Cyclone from the now defunct Excelsior Amusement Park, but this is not true. High Roller was a brand new ride when it was built, and Cyclone was demolished when Excelsior closed.
Valleyfair Ride Operator
2016 - Wild Thing
2017 - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Cedar Point Ride Operator
2019 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Kings Island's Beast is a haunted coaster.
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:48 pm

V2-dude wrote:
aCoasterStory wrote:
smallpox wrote:It would be fun to grab a radar gun and test various coasters advertised speeds versus actual top speeds (acknowledging that conditions can alter performance), but i'm sure the parks would not be cool with that. hardly a "myth", anyway.

I was actually at a water park one time and there were park employees with a radar gun clocking how fast people were coming down a couple of the body slides.

Having worked at SFDK, I have been operating rides where this was going on. This was most commonly done on the Go Karts, but I have personally seen the results of more than one coaster. V2 and Kong both travel significantly slower than advertised, though I don't recall what their exact speeds. After its mishap atop tower 1, Superman now runs closer to 69-70mph, though it's still advertised as topping at 62 mph. That's all I know, but I'm sure the others are a bit off too.

Anyways, forgive me if this was already mentioned, but isn't there a myth that B:TR at GADV is haunted?

You're thinking of the defunct Chiller coaster at Great Adventure. It never was running due to it being cursed. It was cursed by the souls of those who died in the Haunted Castle fire in 1984.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:22 pm

I didn't read through every page to see if this was already said...but how the SFKK drop tower incident happened on EVERY drop tower in the world.

"Yeah some girl got her legs cut off on the one at Universal"

"Didn't someone get their foot cut off on the tower at Six Flags St. Louis?"

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby hey...hey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:39 am

Moose wrote:Disny planned a park for Virginia but was canceled because of Nimbyism.

The park part is true, don't know about the Nimbyism part. It was supposed to be built in Haymarket, or right outside. Around the Leesburg-Warrenton area. I remember seeing the signs and banners that were hanging around everytime on our way to Kings Dominion. I believe it was going to be a colonial theme.

EDIT: It does look like it was for a citizen uprising.
Coaster Count: Steel-55 Wood-13 Total-68

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:11 am

^ If I remember correctly (and this part may be false), it was supposed to be built on or in the same area as the third Marriott's Great America that never materialized.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!