Marineland animals suffering, former staffers say

P. 8: More news, lawsuits, OSPCA and government orders
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Marineland animals suffering, former staffers say

Postby Jew » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:47 pm

The interesting thing to me is this line:

Also, Marineland was ordered to hire an outside expert for a full assessment of its water and filtration system, and implement an environmental enrichment program for the lone killer whale, Kiska. Both these items have been completed, the source said.

That's only interesting to me because IIRC, the reason SFDK transferred Shouka to Sea World was because in the U.S. there was a rule against having a killer whale on its own.

As far as the rest of the allegations? Definitely horrible if true, but one re-occuring theme seems to be bitter ex-employees. Not saying the allegations aren't true, but it seems odd that all these trainers would put up with the horrible treatment for so long before suddenly seeing the light.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:01 pm

Jew wrote:The interesting thing to me is this line:

Also, Marineland was ordered to hire an outside expert for a full assessment of its water and filtration system, and implement an environmental enrichment program for the lone killer whale, Kiska. Both these items have been completed, the source said.

That's only interesting to me because IIRC, the reason SFDK transferred Shouka to Sea World was because in the U.S. there was a rule against having a killer whale on its own.

As far as the rest of the allegations? Definitely horrible if true, but one re-occuring theme seems to be bitter ex-employees. Not saying the allegations aren't true, but it seems odd that all these trainers would put up with the horrible treatment for so long before suddenly seeing the light.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that while keeping a killer whale alone is frowned upon, there isn't any law in Canada against that. In any case I would say there is definitely something 'fishy' going on here. I'll see myself out now. ;)

Two deer die at Marineland after father and son allegedly ca

Postby beatle11 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:48 am

Another awful story to come out of this park. Not really the parks fault this time though.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5295309/two-deer-die-at-marineland-after-father-and-son-allegedly-caused-a-stampede/

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue May 21, 2019 5:51 am

^But it kind of is the way they keep those deer! I know our group has always been horrified with how they keep them.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 21, 2019 7:06 am

Another article is claiming there was a bigger protest going on near Marineland on Saturday.

The Standard Link

In positive news, this also caught my eye from the article.

A new education presentation has been added to the main stage which gives children an opportunity to learn about marine mammals and a new in-park train service, Marineland Express, now shuttles guests to various park attractions. Two more in-park trains will be added later.

Anyone who has been to Marineland knows just far it is between attractions. Those trains will be much appreciated! I remember being envious of the employees blowing past us on golf carts. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

Postby bert425 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:41 am

SharkTums wrote:^But it kind of is the way they keep those deer! I know our group has always been horrified with how they keep them.

yeah, it absolutely is the way the deer pen is kept.

it's a very large enclosure, but I wish they were handled more like the Buffalo area, where they have so much more space to spread out/roam.

one thing I can say positive about the animals: when we were there last year, all of the handlers really did seem not only to really care about the animals. . but also seemed to be trained in the care of the animals (able to answer questions, and tell us about them, their habits, and diets.

so it wasn't just a seasonal hire of a young adult to stand in front of the enclosures (the young adults just hired seemed to be doing the ride operations :) ).
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby LegendLover » Tue May 21, 2019 10:18 am

Seems like the new family members are maybe looking to shift the focus of the park on to rides and attractions rather than animals. Amusement Insiders just posted a video that showed construction of a new children’s water park area that is well into vertical construction. Plus they have removed the SBNO Topple Tower and when asked about the removal, the park said that they have plans to fill the space. They’ve always halted construction of the new bird enclosure.

Postby beatle11 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:41 pm

SharkTums wrote:^But it kind of is the way they keep those deer! I know our group has always been horrified with how they keep them.

Yeah, the park could do better in that regard. That said, based on the article, it sounds like those guests were purposefully trying to create trouble. Looks like they succeeded

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue May 21, 2019 2:53 pm

^Oh yeah, I totally get that some guests are dumb/obnoxious/fame seeking/stupid/troublesome/etc!

Postby coasterbill » Tue May 21, 2019 6:41 pm

LegendLover wrote:Plus they have removed the SBNO Topple Tower and when asked about the removal, the park said that they have plans to fill the space.

“Fill the space”. Oh good, I’m glad the park finally removed Topple Tower and freed up some room for expansion. They seemed like they were really running out of space to put sh*t. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!