Marineland animals suffering, former staffers say

P. 8: More news, lawsuits, OSPCA and government orders
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Re: Marineland animals suffering, former staffers say

Postby Hercules » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:54 am

kunpc1 wrote:You're right, instead of just boycotting FastLane, boycott the Nation of Canada as well. You make it seem as though every Canadian is okay with the seal hunt and therefor is okay with the horrible way Marineland is treating their animals... :roll:

That certainly isn't what we are saying. All we are saying is that people turn a blind eye to the cruelty that is around them until there is a news article from experts or something. Then, people care about it when it is probably something they should have been caring about all along.

Here is an example from last night - I stopped in at a local Wawa (convenience store chain) which is right next to a local slaughterhouse in the area. Pigs, cows, and now even horses are taken to this place almost 24/7 within trucks. Prior to heading over to the slaughterhouse, the driver of one of the trucks stopped at the Wawa with a full double decker load of cows - right next to the slaughterhouse. I sat an waited 45 minutes to see if he would leave, but did not. He let the cows, crammed to capacity, barely able to move in a cage filled with their own feces, just stand their and wait for him to finish his meal (I presume to be loaded with some kind of products from a cow, either of the meat or dairy variety). He couldn't have taken them to the slaughterhouse to put them out of their misery before he stopped for something to eat? And from another perspective, if their were say, a truckload of dogs, people would have been absolutely outraged. Instead, nobody paid any attention to the cows constantly mooing and rocking the truck and just continued to frequent the Wawa without any looks toward the truck. Nothing.

Now, there is a report from some trainers on the conditions, but really, the conditions at this park have been pretty evident for a while. I honestly don't think the park has been doing too much to restrict the visibility of the horrid conditions at the park. It is just that people have turned a blind eye to the obvious because it would cause their happiness dwindle when at the park. Who wants to have a sad day at an amusement park? Let's just ignore what is going on and go oooo and ahhh at the animals and go home with a smile on our face.

Postby Hercules » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:57 am

kunpc1 wrote:
BeemerBoy wrote:Also, keep in mind we're talking about a nation that still legally allows up to 400,00 harp seals to be clubbed to death each year. And yet some "enthusiasts" are more concerned about boycotting "fastlane" procedures instead. :|

What was the point with this comment? I'm not sure what the seal hunt has to do with the horrible conditions reported at Marineland.

I understand where you're going with the fact that people protest silly things when there are much larger issues going on in the world (Fastlane vs inhumanely killing animals). But take a step back and read that comment. This discussion is about a Canadian family/owner not treating animals properly in an aquarium-type setting. It comes off as though you're saying "why expect more from them when Canadians (the nation) allow seals to be clubbed to death each year?"

I'm done now. I'm sorry if this came across the wrong way. I'll return to the Canada's Wonderland thread where I belong.

I'll explain. He wasn't trashing Canadians. It's not something to take personally. It was a comment to say that people (not just Canadians) are more worried about irrelevant things in life (like Fastlane) as opposed to real issues (like the seal hunts). It wasn't bashing you or your fellow country-people. Simmer down.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:06 am

kunpc1 wrote:
BeemerBoy wrote:Also, keep in mind we're talking about a nation that still legally allows up to 400,00 harp seals to be clubbed to death each year. And yet some "enthusiasts" are more concerned about boycotting "fastlane" procedures instead. :|

What was the point with this comment? I'm not sure what the seal hunt has to do with the horrible conditions reported at Marineland.

I understand where you're going with the fact that people protest silly things when there are much larger issues going on in the world (Fastlane vs inhumanely killing animals). But take a step back and read that comment. This discussion is about a Canadian family/owner not treating animals properly in an aquarium-type setting. It comes off as though you're saying "why expect more from them when Canadians (the nation) allow seals to be clubbed to death each year?"

I'm done now. I'm sorry if this came across the wrong way. I'll return to the Canada's Wonderland thread where I belong.

It's in reference to this statement from the original article:

There are no government regulations for sea mammal captivity in Canada.The Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums, a self-regulating industry association, first licensed Marineland in 2007 and national director Bill Peters says there have been no complaints. Its licence was renewed for five years at the end of September 2011, after a summer inspection by a CAZA team of experts.

It seems rather apparent that Canadian zoos and aquariums aren't exactly held to very high standards. "Self-regulating industry association" screams "we'll look out for each other as long as everyone's making money." And with a government that still legally allows up to 400,000 harp seals to be clubbed to death each year, how can anyone expect drastic penalties, or even change to come about regarding Marineland's horrid conditions?

That's what my statement meant. Sorry I needed to spell it out.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Postby Hercules » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 am

^ Alright, well, I guess it was at least bashing his government. Excellent points Beemer.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Chroniq » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:35 pm

BeemerBoy wrote:It seems rather apparent that Canadian zoos and aquariums aren't exactly held to very high standards.

While the governmental regulations in Canadia may not be as strong as they are in the USA, I still think the public senitiment to animals remains the same.
Marineland is more of a case of business missmanagement than it is of the government taking a blind eye.

The park's bathrooms' are located 8 miles apart from each other.The food stands open at 1:00pm in the afternoon (the park closes at 7) . It's like a real life version of someone losing at Roller Coaster Tycoon. The park promotes attractions and doesn't build them 10 years later. The brochure warns you "If darnkness occurs, leave immediately".

The owner clearly does not have a grasp on "business 101" and , sadly, since this is an animal based park, the animals suffer for it.

After personally visiting the park, I've come to the conclusion that this article, and the apparent condition of the animals, is the owners' fault on a micro level and not a macro issue amongst Canadians.
Tram Credits: 13502 Find me here: Chris Con

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:28 pm

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1242880---everyone-loves-marineland-singer-wants-her-voice-pulled-from-commercials

‘Everyone loves Marineland!’ singer wants voice pulled from commercials

Suzie McNeil, the Toronto singer who voiced the Marineland jingle, wants her voice pulled from the ubiquitous commercials.

“I need to get the tag line replaced with ‘all the whales haaaaate... Marineland!’” McNeil tweeted Wednesday.

The singer posted the statement after former Marineland employees told the Star of poor water conditions, chronic short-staffing and repeated instances of animal suffering at the park.

The singer signed over the rights to her performance of the song when she penned a contract with Marineland in 2004.

“Because of the original contract, Marineland owns and has the right to continue using that recording, despite my feelings,” McNeil said in a public statement. “I plan on investigating this issue further, and doing anything in my power to help these animals.”

McNeil, a Juno-nominated artist who once sang backup vocals for American artist Pink, was paid a lump sum to record the jingle in 2004. She doesn’t receive continued payments.

“I was very shocked and saddened to read the article published today in the Toronto Star describing animals suffering neglect and illness at Marineland. No animal should ever suffer, especially at the hands of human beings,” she said.

McNeil’s publicist said the artist won’t attend Saturday’s protest organized outside Marineland due to her touring schedule.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:39 pm

^This is the jingle they are refering to.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby 3Mutts » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:17 pm

^ aww it almost looks like Seaworld in that comercial but, it's not.
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby mightypotato » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:26 am

^^

The worst part is, here in southern Ontario, they play that commercial NON STOP during the summer. Every time I hear it now, I get a little sick to my stomach and more than a bit angry.
Parks: 55, Steel: 234, Wood: 72, Total: 306
I ain't afraid of no rollycoaster!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:59 am

I shake my head every time that commercial comes on. There is a reason I haven't been to Sea World in years. Rumors of the horrible conditions have been around for years. I vaguely remember being sent petitions and a few of my friends protested earlier this summer.

I'm not sure what can be done to save Marineland. It is going to take new management and a lost of money to fix that place.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!