TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Help restore Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park

The park has been closed since 2009 FPI US LLC cannot find investors, the park has failed twice and I think this time if it is family-owned & operated then chances are slim it will fail. This is going to take a true grassroots effort to bring it into fruition!

Family-owned businesses get more involved in their communities and surrounding areas, they understand that they are apart of the culture there and fight to survive longer than typical too big to fails. FMP/HRP failed for several reasons one of the primary being non aggressive advertising was used to promote the park, really no money was able to be used towards advertising when FMP took over as the hours of operation were being constantly changed, employees laid off, live performances stopped being booked. Other factors that lead to it's failure was High prices, very few rides, and mismanagement.

If any visited the park before, I know you miss it and I know I do as well as the original Pavilion amusement park. I know many of us were sad and felt pretty let down when it was tore down. Freestyle Music Park may not have as long as a history as the Pavilion or even Magic Harbor park(Pirateland Amusement Park) but that doesn't mean we have to let it remain abandoned and subject to demolition, not when it has so much potential to be a great one of a kind park!

Let's keep Myrtle Beach alive!

I have several plans that would create sustainable job-growth, provide job security, & attract new businesses all while boosting the economy. The three stores remaining open by the park are hoping the doors will re-open as they know themselves they would see a boost as well. All this can certainly be achieved with the assistance of a key veteran Leisure consultant Peter Alexander.

If you are familiar with E.T., Back to the Future, Jaws, and Earthquake then you have experienced his work. He learned from and worked with the likes of Blaine Gibson, Wathel Rogers, Rolly Crump, John Hench, and Marty Sklar. He began performing leisure project financial feasibility analysis for Walt Disney Productions during the creation of Disney's first "Ten Year Master Plan" and today works with major investors in the leisure industry on a daily basis.

Peter will be conducting the feasibility study & With it I will be able to approach lenders and venture capital firms. The feasibility study process will begin with an evaluation of the current site and competition. Market size and demographics will be included, as well as a project description in words, pictures, and computer graphic art that will tell my story to potential investors.

The parks yearly and design day attendance will be calculated through their copyrighted entertainment value/comparable value technique & will determine the square footage data for food service,retail,parking, attractions,back stage and total land area which is currently 55 acres (220,000 m²) on a 140 acre (0.57-km²) property.

Near the end of the study based on the park's yearly attendance and analysis of probable per capita spending a full financial analysis will be developed and if it is determined the project is or isn't financially feasible TFC will recommend ways to make it work in my market, so regardless something extraordinary can and will take place with this park.

The same rides we have come to love at the park will remain, along with several new being added, I will first go off and list the current rides that are there that will be removed and the remainder is what will stay before further sharing my plans for Outback Oasis Park.

To be removed:

-Origins - A film presentation showing the history of rock n roll and how it is intertwined with theme parks. The Origins theater was located in the front, entrance area, of the park.

-Roadies Stunt Show - A twist on the popular stunt show concept with rock and roll 'roadies' as characters. This show featured many 'cirque'-type elements and numerous pyrotechnic effects.

-Country on the Rocks - A rock themed ice show.

-Muddin' Monster Race (Huss Rides) - A spinning, swinging monster-truck-themed ride.[11]

-London Cab Ride (Huss Rides) -A heavily themed scrambler-type Huss Break Dance IV.

Shows:

-Bohemian Rhapsody - A nighttime show held over the lagoon, set to the classic song by Queen. The show featured fountains, fireworks and a laser-light show displayed from the top of the giant Gibson Guitar icon.

-Malibu Beach Party - A live-action comedy show set to all the great beach classics and some modern day pop songs. A cast of dancers and swimmers danced, dove, performed stunts on motorcycles and interacted with the crowd in a lakefront/poolside amphitheater.

Roller Coasters

-Led Zeppelin - The Ride (Bolliger & Mabillard)

-Maximum RPM! (Premier Rides)

-Eagles-Life in the Fast Lane (Vekoma)- Formerly known as Midnight Rider

-Slippery When Wet (Premier Rides)

-Shake Rattle 'n' Rollercoaster (Vekoma)

Other rides

-All the King's Horses - A classic Merry Go Round.

- Monstars of Rock

-Magic Mushroom Garden (Huss Rides) - A Scrambler-style ride featuring the "World's largest blacklight poster."[11]

-Just a Swingin' - A Wave Swinger-type ride.

-Banana Splitsville

-Live Amphitheater

-Phonehenge

-Alice's Restaurant

Okay so why the name Outback Oasis Park? If any have visited Busch Gardens before then it shouldn't be too far out there of an idea to have animals featured within the park. We will have wildlife from the abroad but mainly from the Outback. Animals will include but will not be limited to: Kangaroos,Wallaby's,Lemurs,Indris,Spotted Cuscus,Koalas, Wallaroo's,Tasmanian Pandemelon's, Sugar Gliders, Giraffe's, Zebras, Okapi,Pygmy Marmosets, and Chimpanzees. There will more than likely be an on-site Outback Steakhouse as well.

The Oasis comes in simply because it's nearby one of the most beautiful beaches in America, and the sky-tower is going to give an amazing view of it.

As far as new rides, I have about 30 I'm looking to add to the park.

New Coasters:

Jetski Coaster:

Surfrider Coaster:

Multi-Inversion Coaster:

Impulse Coaster:

Twist and Turn Coaster:

ZacSpin Coaster:

New Thrill Rides:

Multi Drop:

Round Up:

Spinning Star:

Suspended Twin Hammer:

Revolution 32:

Delirium:

Giant Frisbee 55:

Jump2:

Classic Rides:

Booster:

Suspended Top Spin w/ Water Splash:

Dark Rides

Dark Boat Ride:

Multi-Motion Dark Ride:

Scream in the Dark!:

Zombie Paradise:

And even though Monstars of Rock replaced it, it will remain where it is but I will be bringing back Nights in White Satin:

Family Rides:

Frog Hopper:

Fly Willy:

Giant Wheel:

Supersplash vs Reverse Boat Ride (one of the two will be picked, it's up to the feasibility study to determine which will be more probable):

Observation Tower:

Topple Tower:

Screamin' Swing:

Wipeout:

So far those are all the rides I have in mind to be added to the park, the park hours will be from 10am-12am M-Sat and from 10am-10pm on Sunday. During our Carnifest Halloween season the park hours will be extended up until 1 am.

There of course will be scares to be haunted by throughout the entire park as well as live performances by the Insane Clown Posse to help add to the Haunted Carnival feel.

I'm looking for not just discussion regarding my plans on this park but also if possible donations toward my online projects to help raise money for the feasibility study which will help me approach lenders and venture capitalists to get the park bought from FPI US LLC and begin working on adding these rides and redeveloping the park.

Also keep in mind even if you can't contribute, helping spread the word on this project does just as much good. I'm looking for all the help I can get regardless of the form, please Let's help save Myrtle Beach's attraction industry and keep theme parks alive!

Edited by outbackoasispark

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to you in chat about this earlier....

While I'd love to see FSMP reopen as a new park, the plan you have presented just doesn't seem feasible. Those 30 rides you were planning on adding? An Intamin EMV on its own can cost up to 50 MILLION. Most of those attractions are way beyond the budget of a park restoration program.

Heck, at this point it may take 10-20 million just to get the park fully back up and running with the needed modifications (ie Removal of Mini Cooper Design from Round About) and no new attractions.

You're talking about tearing out Monstars and once again using Nights in White Satin. That's a waste. Why destroy what is likely to be the ride in the best condition?

Animals are all nice and well, but they require enormous amounts of infrastructure. You need zookeepers and staff to be constantly maintaining the exhibits, even in the off season where east coast winters hit pretty hard. Staff are required 24/7. That's a monumental cost, especially for a starting out park.

Going back to attractions: those that are there, able to operate, and are well themed should be kept. There's no need to throw away valuable property and attractions so willy-nilly!

As of now, this just seems very pipe dream-ish, even of it does appear -slightly- more professional than most of these dreamed up scenarios....

I'm really not planning on having the capital for ALL 30 rides at once, even if that was the case the park would be delayed re-opening if I was to have enough to get all 30 at once, these are the ones I have in mind to have added to the park as it moves forward, profits will go towards getting the new attractions that cannot be covered by the funds received from lenders/venture capitalists.

I think you misunderstood me too I'm going to let Monstars of Rock stay but I'm going to bring back Nights in White Satin in the park elsewhere, Monstars isn't going to be torn down at all, that is why I had a list of those that were going to be removed, Monstars wasn't listed. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear about that portion but it's not going to go away. Also I maybe shouldn't say removed as they will be offered to be sold first I'm not just going to go in and say hey lets throw that out and this out too no lol..

Even if it turns out your right and I'm unable to get ANY new attractions added within the 1st year of re-opening then I will have no choice but to keep what is already there and possibly just making some alterations. This is really my long-term goal for the park to get it to it's full potential, I already know I must start within my means but it helps to let the people know the vision I have for this park as it's not just the lenders and venture capitalists that will help it be a success but more importantly the visitors and those visitors that constantly return!

I myself enjoy theme parks and long-term wise I just want my visitors to have one of the best experiences possible without having to go far and spend too much.

Even for the animals if I have to start out with a few and build my way up like with the attractions I am totally fine with that, my wife is actually majoring in Zoology so she would actually be able to help out and tend to the animals there in the off-seasons especially.

This appears to be a case of SFNO 2.0.

If you're asking for donations, I give this plan a 0% chance of success. Projects like this require millions of dollars in investments, not the hundreds or thousands of dollars you might collect through a charity drive. This is not like trying to restore a single wooden coaster that is still in moderately good condition. Without the backing of some serious investors, there's no way this happens. If you can't get the serious investors, why should I have any faith that I would be putting my donation to a good cause and if you can get the serious investors, why would you need my chump change?

Being a person who has always been very interested in the developments surrounding Hard Rock/Freestyle Music Park... That being said, having read your entire "proposal," I'm still completely lost as to who you are, what makes you qualified to spearhead a park's revival or where you intend to get the money to not only support the feasibility study that you seem so intent to perform but also the money to invest in the park in all of the ways you listed, not to mention either leasing or outright buying the park from the company that bought it out of foreclosure most recently. I don't mean to sound so harsh, but this all seems like total Blue Sky dreaming.

A couple of things:

You do realize that anything inside of that park with a brand name associated with it would be up for review from the brand, meaning that if they aren't happy with the damage the park's poor performance in the last two runs has made it (and I assure you, none are), they would likely demand that their branding be entirely stripped from the park so as to avoid further brand damage (if they haven't already). You list the Bohemian Rhapsody. The park lost the rights to the show after Hard Rock Park closed. You list the Gibson Guitar. Considering how close Gibson was very close to NOT allowing the park to keep its name when it returned as Freestyle, I'd be VERY surprised if they'd allow you to touch them with a ten foot pole. The Roadies Stunt Show and Malibu Beach Party as well as all of the coasters, flat rides and offerings you listed using their original names and themes not only rely on rights the park lost a long time ago, but all of them are developed around concepts that are copyrighted intellectual properties and trademarks that are still active, owned by HRP Creative Services, so you would never get them back without a major price to be paid. And I'll assure you, Led Zeppelin and the Eagles wouldn't dare let you put their names back into these parks after everything that happened with Hard Rock Park.

You want to bring back Nights in White Satin? Good luck with that one. Moody Blues won't give you the rights. You have no empirical proof that that ride was such a popular attraction that it affected park attendance in a significant manner, so the capital needed to bring back this dark ride is not justified. Creditors won't justify the expense. Moody Blues won't let you use their music again. HRP Creative Services will certainly not let you have the rights to the dark ride concept of Nights in White Satin: The Trip, which is one of their copyrighted concepts.

From here your proposal gets far more unrealistic. You intend to retheme the park to the Outback Oasis yet half (if not all) of your existing attractions carry the same old music theme? That makes absolutely no sense. The park has always suffered from brand and marketing confusion, and with this concept you seem to only want to worsen the issue in the (hypothetical and unlikely) round three.

Do you realize how much money goes into operating and maintaining animal attractions? This is above any budget you could pull for this sinkhole of a park, and also wholly unjustified. Animals won't be enough to bring people to this park when you have local safari parks within several other bordering states, plus Wild Adventures and both Busch Gardens parks within the spheres of influence of Myrtle Beach itself. This is the WRONG concept to ride on.

All of these extra attractions you pulled from the Intamin and Huss catalogs? The parks that have these took years to assemble them in their collection, investing and earning back their money well before they started construction on the next. You think you can drop in 15+ major attractions (especially with several coming from Intamin) for cheap and quick in time for one brand new season? This is an insane concept and is simply improbable.

How is a feasibility study going to tell you whether to buy a Supersplash or a Reverse Boat Ride? I'd love to know.

Now that I've indulged the insane aspects of your "proposal" I'll ask again. Who are you to even try this? This isn't some wooden coaster in Ohio you are trying to disassemble and rebuild with some pickup trucks and a few thousand dollars on your side. This is a 400 million dollar park with a history of failure and significant debt that has plagued Myrtle Beach since the day it was announced. I loved the park when I visited it several years ago, but I knew then that it would close, just as I know now that it won't likely reopen anytime soon. Unless you can tell me where you have the money and the actual management, financial and marketing background to revolutionize this project, I have to believe that you have no experience and are simply dreaming out loud on a forum. Just because you come up with a cheap quality logo and an "idea" of what you want to do doesn't mean this would or could ever happen? Based on everything you shared with us, you have NOTHING to work off of.

Again, I hate to come across so harsh, but until you can give us something to believe that you'd even possibly have the clout to make this happen, we have to look at you based on what little you have given us... And that isn't anything that leads me to believe this park will ever reopen under your supervision.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Have you looked into adding any wooden coasters to the park?

For only $300,000 I know of a great wooden coaster in Ohio (fully ready to operate) that you could put in. You would need to rent a few pick-up trucks, but overall it would be a great investment.

Have you looked into adding any wooden coasters to the park?

For only $300,000 I know of a great wooden coaster in Ohio (fully ready to operate) that you could put in. You would need to rent a few pick-up trucks, but overall it would be a great investment.

And I think that closes out the thread, nothing else can be said about it...

Except... for $30 this could all be done easier.

Why are you guys responding to this!?!? Seriously, I stopped reading at "Oh and there will be an Outback Steakhouse on property as well".

Hey, the responses are the best part of all this.

Family owned and operated but they need investors?

Darn you, i laughed so hard that i swallowed my gum while reading this!

"That's going to be in your digestive tract for seven years!"

Do you have any idea how long it took me to get all the evil exes' contact information so I could form this stupid league? Like, two hours! *Two hours!*

I think you should ditch the Outback Steakhouse theme and turn it into a Scott Pilgrim theme. Money donated.

Oh no, I am now prepared to see "just put in an Outback Steakhouse!!!1!!!!" as the forum meme. Ugh.

As has been said, what's the point of this thread? The only park I can think of that has been born (with any relation to this board) is Cowabunga Bay. It's successful. But the guy who started it, a veteran member here, never started a thread trying to rally support/funding...right? So, outside of this board, has any new park/resurrection ever been started as a bunch of words and jpegs and a plea to "HELP?!?!" Add me to the list that "don't get it". Seems if you were really serious about resurrecting the place you'd have a bit better plan....err, wait, you wouldn't be posting on an enthusiast forum looking for help in the first place.

It's a shame what's happened with this park, and the millions lost, maybe it's time to just move on?

Okay, these plans somewhat sounded feasible on chat, but now realizing how many coasters you are planning to add, this looks and sounds like an RCT3 Sandbox park. Animals is definitely out of the question. You barely see a park with the size or notoriety of Freestyle Music Park have animals. Who do you see with animals? SeaWorld. Guess what they are? Major. Busch Gardens. Guess what they are? Major. Do I need to even begin with Disney? Also, some of the rides you plan on bringing in have been known for some mechanical problems, like the Topple Tower and Giant Frisbee. Also, the name, Outback Oasis, does not fit in with music WHATSOEVER. That sounds more like a theme for an Australian waterpark or Australian rainforest park. First, it costs a bit of money to take out some theming, and the park has a bit of theming, like the guitar, coaster theming, etc. Second, all of the rides need maintenance work after being inactive for a bit of time. Then, you'd, most likely, have to contact the makers of the rides to make repairs (B&M, Premier, Vekoma).

Overall, this plan is just way out there and is just another fanboy's envision. Sorry if I sounded harsh, but this is just not it.

Darn you, i laughed so hard that i swallowed my gum while reading this!

Do you have any idea how long it took me to get all the evil exes' contact information so I could form this stupid league? Like, two hours! *Two hours!*

I think you should ditch the Outback Steakhouse theme and turn it into a Scott Pilgrim theme. Money donated.

"That's it! You cocky cock! You'll pay for your crimes against humanity!"

I can't believe how much people are writing in response to this. This is so bad I feel like any response at all is giving the OP too much validation. OP, who exactly are you? Serious question - that's the kind of information you need to have upfront if you were creating a serious proposal. That DragonballZ avatar isn't doing much to make me take you seriously even for a second.

This is definitely the kind of thing I used to dream about as a middle/high school student. Hopefully everyone older than that realizes that it takes more than a 'feasibility study' and a ridiculous list of future attractions to even begin to get a project like this started.

But hey, I'll come for the Outback Steakhouse.

"That's it! You cocky cock! You'll pay for your crimes against humanity!"

"Steal my boyfriend...taste my steel!"