New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

Pg 33: December 14 groundbreaking for 2018 waterpark opening
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: New Park in Houston Area

Postby richtrav » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Hriscay wrote:^Even though RMC is slowly becoming my favorite Roller Coaster Manufacturer, I personally wouldn't want one just yet. I haven't ridden Outlaw run, but i have ridden both NTAG and IRat and i personally would rather have a ride like El Toro. Ill take that speed and hills any day over overbank and inversions. The second wooden could be RMC but the first needs to be a real wooden. As for the looping steel ride, I really wonder what it could be. So happy to hear this park is progressing. 3 Roller Coasters, even if one if a kiddie coaster, I will still be there opening day to ride over and over again.

Does anyone know the relative cost between building an Intamin Plug-and-Play and an RMC job, all else being equal? I'm pretty sure RMC would be cheaper, just don't know by how much. Or vs GCI (have they ever built anything that tall?). I think an Intamin would probably blow their entire roller coaster budget, but I don't know how much RMC charges. Evidently Apocalypse was not cheap:

https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/l91ISfcuzDw&autoplay=1

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:24 pm

It seems a bit unrealistic to anticipate 4,5 million visitors by 2020.
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:49 pm

^I think they mean 4.5 million visitors for the whole complex, not just the park. If Kemah really does bring in 4 million a year like an earlier article says, 4.5 million for Grand Texas is a possibility.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:46 am

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/11/developers-have-big-plans-for-grand-texas/?cmpid=staffblogshcat#17943101=0

The plans for Grand Texas appear to be taking shape, with new renderings showing an elaborate and Texas history-themed amusement and water park on the more than 600 acres of piney woods in East Montgomery County.

The project’s leaders, who closed on the land this summer, have previously said the new park could fill the void that AstroWorld left behind.

The first phase of construction, which includes building infrastructure and clearing land, will start early next year. The original plans for this project included the Grand Texas theme park and Big Rivers Water Park.

At a press conference Wednesday, the project leaders announced that the newly named “Grand Texas Sports and Entertainment District” will include an amphitheater, a “Downtown Texas” area with space for hotels and retail, an RV park, baseball fields and sports complex. These ventures will be financed by developers independent of the theme park’s investment group.

Developers declined to disclose the price of the venture, but said they received no upfront money from the East Montgomery County Improvement District.

Big Rivers Water Park is slated to open in April 2015 and the Grand Texas Theme Park should be ready by December 2015.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city_life/11-07-13-the-new-astroworld-sets-an-opening-date-houstons-next-theme-park-to-blast-off-in-2015/?utm_source=sf_twitter

Officials with the hotly-anticipated Grand Texas Theme Park unveiled fresh details of their upcoming 630-acre entertainment district, capturing the imaginations of those longing for a worthy successor to the long-shuttered Six Flags AstroWorld.

Located along Highway 59 just north of the New Caney exit, the amusement park is expected to open by summer 2015 with seven theme areas devoted to Lone Star history and culture. The Montgomery County Police Reporter blog notes that the project will feature several roller coasters, including one slated to be one of the 10 largest wooden roller coasters in the nation.

Grand Texas' Monty Galland assured the East Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce that the theme park is only a single component of a larger plan that involves 450,000 square feet for retail and dining, multiple hotels, an RV area and a 6,000-seat stadium designed for minor league baseball games.

Also on the drawing boards is an elaborate water park that will tap into the region's natural landscape, surely a nod to EarthQuest, the ecologically-minded amusement park planned for a plot of land a mile south of Grand Texas.

"Big Rivers Water Park is a 40-acre site where we will integrate the natural surroundings that is already there. Instead of big swaths of concrete, you will see water slides that wind around the towering oak trees and the lazy river will meander through the forest setting that is already there," Galland explained during the meeting. Along with two hotels, the water park will open several months before the theme park.

The Police Reporter says additional nature-themed amusements — a wakeboard lake, equestrian trails and zip lines — are planned throughout the entertainment district as well as an outdoor amphitheater for concerts and hockey games.

To see Grand Texas to fruition, theme park owners have assembled a team of industry heavy-hitters that includes former AstroWorld general manager Chuck Hendrix and one-time Six Flags Magic Mountain director Bob Logan. Bob Runyon, who designed Woodlands Market Street, serves as chief architect of the project while designer Bruce Robinson (formerly of Angry Birds Theme Park and Dollywood) will oversee all theme concepts.

By 2020, officials anticipate 4.5 million annual visitors to the theme park district, which will bring roughly 2,000 new jobs to the area. As many as 1,600 construction workers are expected to be used during the building process, which begins in January.
Grand Texas marketing director Ashley Higson was unavailable for comment on Thursday, but promised CultureMap that more details will be released in the next week. Stay tuned.

main-street_page_03.jpg

main-street_page_05.jpg
Look at #100 - Are they bringing back Greezed Lightning from Astroworld???

main-street_page_07.jpg

main-street_page_08.jpg

main-street_page_09.jpg

Umm, I think they are bringing back GREEZED LIGHTNIN? This is the park Houston needs. I count 5 coasters.
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:58 pm.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Hriscay » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 am

The website is finally back up and running. It's has several artistic renditions of what the park will look like. Several attractions can be seen. Also their choice of real photos on the main page are pretty interesting. I think in the 3rd picture they are using El Toro as a picture, hopefully this has is something of a teaser. Anyways, please check it out. Glad they removed the Boomerang Picture. I didn't want that to be a launch ride, so un-original. http://grandtx.com/

P.s. if that wasn't El Toro, what was it?
Top 5 Steel: Titan, Superman Krypton Coaster, Raging Bull, Diamondback, Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast
Top 5 Wooden: El Toro, The Voyage, Outlaw Run, The Texas Cyclone RIP, Goliath (SFGAm)

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Hriscay » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:51 am

HOLD THE FRONT DOOR. Can #100 truly be correct?
Top 5 Steel: Titan, Superman Krypton Coaster, Raging Bull, Diamondback, Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast
Top 5 Wooden: El Toro, The Voyage, Outlaw Run, The Texas Cyclone RIP, Goliath (SFGAm)

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:54 am

Hriscay wrote:The website is finally back up and running. It's has several artistic renditions of what the park will look like. Several attractions can be seen. Also their choice of real photos on the main page are pretty interesting. I think in the 3rd picture they are using El Toro as a picture, hopefully this has is something of a teaser. Anyways, please check it out. Glad they removed the Boomerang Picture. I didn't want that to be a launch ride, so un-original. http://grandtx.com/

P.s. if that wasn't El Toro, what was it?

The third picture looks more like colossus at Heide Park in my opinion.

Greezed' Lightning is gone! There's no way it's coming back. Especially the way it was cut up... The dates on the docs says Oct 2013... the person creating these plans wasn't following the status of the ride.
Last edited by vacoaster09 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:02 am.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:56 am

vacoaster09 wrote:Greezed' Lightning is gone! There's no way it's coming back.

It's been sitting around, waiting for someone to piece it back together. Still I count 5 coasters, a dark ride, a swing ride. AHH :b

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Hriscay » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:56 am

vacoaster09 wrote:Greezed' Lightning is gone! There's no way it's coming back.

The last I heard it was sold. Just because its "gone" doesn't mean anything. I think its in mexico or new mexico, can't seem to remember correctly.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Hriscay » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:01 am

vacoaster09 wrote:Greezed' Lightning is gone! There's no way it's coming back. Especially the way it was cut up... The dates on the docs says Oct 2013... the person creating these plans wasn't following the status of the ride.

Are you thinking the one from Kentucky Kingdom? That one was dismantled poorly, but last I heard i though the one from Astroworld was just sitting around and waiting to be put back together like the guy above me said.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!