New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

Pg 33: December 14 groundbreaking for 2018 waterpark opening
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I suck at LIFE!

Re: New Park in Houston Area

Postby djboss302 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:55 pm

I think they way to start off would be to have a big steel coaster, a family coaster with a 42-46 inch height requirement, and a kiddy coaster. But I am happy for Houston finally getting a theme park. I couldn't imagine how I would feel if they closed down SFGAm.
Top 5 Parks: 1. Cedar Point 2. Epcot 3. Busch Gardens Tampa 4. Holiday World 5. WDW Magic Kingdom
Coaster Count: Wood: 14 Steel: 33 Total: 47 Park count: 8
Top 5 Steel:1. Kumba 2. Montu 3. Raptor 4. Maverick 5. Batman
Top 5 Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. The Legend 3. Blue Streak 4. Viper 5. American Eagle (Red)

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Looks like this may be a go.

Wednesday the group heading up Grand Texas Theme Park which is being build at SH 242 and I-69 in New Caney, met with the members of the East Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce.

The team described the park and what people could expect. in the near future.

The 630 acre facility with feature Big Rivers Water Park a 40 acre site which will include a river ride which flows through the already natural forest at the location. Waterslides that wrap around large oak trees. Several roller coasters including one said to be one of the 10 largest wooden roller coasters in the United States.

The park is expected to draw from a population of 30 million. The numbers they say for visitors compares with several other venues in the Houston area. The 17 day Renfest brings in over 600,000 visitors. Houston Zoo sees 1.6 million visitors annually, Houston Livestock Show had 2.8 million visitors for 21 days. Another comparison is the Kemah Boardwalk which gets over 4 million visitors annually.

The Theme Park is said to be built around Texas history.

Also there will be a 6000 seat professional baseball stadium

A wakeboard lake where a cable system will tow a person instead of a boat.

On the south side of SH 242 are 2 hotel sites and a large RV park. along with 450,000 square feet of retail space and convenience stores.

The group hopes to attract over 4.5 million visitors to the site within 5 years of opening. Not just tax base to the area but almost 1200 seasonal jobs and close to 1600 construction jobs. They include seniors and teens in the seasonal jobs. Being a western theme park they will need Old Time Story tellers as an example.

The staff that was picked comes from a long running experience

The theme park itself will be 150 acres. In the beginning 71 acres will be developed.. That compares to Astroworld’s 59 acres and the 135 acres of Disney’s Magic Kingdom. The difference being, Grand Texas acreage does not include parking acreage as the other theme parks do.

It will be divided into 17 sections for different themes and also include equestrian trails. Zip Lines and rope courses will also be part of the park.

It will also include a amphitheater similar to the Cedar Park, Texas Center Park. Hosting concerts and hockey games.

Timelines were spelled out for the Chamber today:

Big River Waterpark 4/15

Hospitality Village 4/15

Destination Fields 5/15

Theme Park Summer 2015

Event Center October 2015

Baseball Stadium 2016 Season

Some of the executives include Chief Operating Officer Chuck Hendricks the former 13 year president of Astroworld. Bob Logan the California director of Magic Mountain. Bob Runyon, designer of The Woodlands Market Street is the Chief Architect of the project. Bruce Robinson is the Theme Director. He was responsible for the design of the Angry Birds Theme Park. and Dollywood.

Soil tests are now under way and heavy equipment should start arriving in early January.

Grand Texas article

Last edited by gisco on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:46 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:18 pm

I still almost don't want to believe this is a actually happening until construction equipment starts moving dirt.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:37 pm

^I know what you mean--so many of these projects never get off the ground. But I wish them well.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:16 pm

I guess with all the recent news from Grand Texas, the other park that was supposed to be built in Houston wanted to make sure we knew they were still around. A quote from Earthquest Institute Facebook.
EarthQuest continues to progress on the pursuit of funding. The developer Mr. Brown a former senior executive with Walt Disney has brought his own style and global connections to the effort. The EMCID board remains supportive and encouraged by his great progress. Mr. Brown remains focused on the development of a large scale theme park with all the original concepts from before but with vast improvements to scale and scope.

Sigh...Anyways, Grand Texas at least owns the land and looks a lot closer then any of the proposed parks in Houston. But yeah still waiting on the construction to start.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby johnychen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:00 am

Here some more news on Grand Texas.

houston.culturemap.com/news/city_life/11-07-13-the-new-astroworld-sets-an-opening-date-houstons-next-theme-park-to-blast-off-in-2015/

Officials with the hotly-anticipated Grand Texas Theme Park unveiled fresh details of their upcoming 630-acre entertainment district, capturing the imaginations of those longing for a worthy successor to the long-shuttered Six Flags AstroWorld.

Located along Highway 59 just north of the New Caney exit, the amusement park is expected to open by summer 2015 with seven theme areas devoted to Lone Star history and culture. The Montgomery County Police Reporter blog notes that the project will feature several roller coasters, including one slated to be one of the 10 largest wooden roller coasters in the nation.

Grand Texas' Monty Galland assured the East Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce that the theme park is only a single component of a larger plan that involves 450,000 square feet for retail and dining, multiple hotels, an RV area and a 6,000-seat stadium designed for minor league baseball games.

"Instead of big swaths of concrete, you will see water slides that wind around the towering oak trees."
Also on the drawing boards is an elaborate water park that will tap into the region's natural landscape, surely a nod to EarthQuest, the ecologically-minded amusement park planned for a plot of land a mile south of Grand Texas.

"Big Rivers Water Park is a 40-acre site where we will integrate the natural surroundings that is already there. Instead of big swaths of concrete, you will see water slides that wind around the towering oak trees and the lazy river will meander through the forest setting that is already there," Galland explained during the meeting. Along with two hotels, the water park will open several months before the theme park.

The Police Reporter says additional nature-themed amusements — a wakeboard lake, equestrian trails and zip lines — are planned throughout the entertainment district as well as an outdoor amphitheater for concerts and hockey games.

To see Grand Texas to fruition, theme park owners have assembled a team of industry heavy-hitters that includes former AstroWorld general manager Chuck Hendrix and one-time Six Flags Magic Mountain director Bob Logan. Bob Runyon, who designed Woodlands Market Street, serves as chief architect of the project while designer Bruce Robinson (formerly of Angry Birds Theme Park and Dollywood) will oversee all theme concepts.

By 2020, officials anticipate 4.5 million annual visitors to the theme park district, which will bring roughly 2,000 new jobs to the area. As many as 1,600 construction workers are expected to be used during the building process, which begins in January.

Grand Texas marketing director Ashley Higson was unavailable for comment on Thursday, but promised CultureMap that more details will be released in the next week. Stay tuned.
Native Houstonian, rocket scientist, mobile DJ, theme park enthusiast, geek, Youtuber, and community activist.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Zem » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:38 am

I highly doubt this project will be completed by 2015. I'm still skeptical of these sorts of projects although it seems like they may be contracting out RMC to design the wooden coaster. I feel like houston would really benifit from a smaller park like Funspot in orlando rather than a giant amusement park with Fiesta Texas and Over Texas not being a horribly long distance away.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:14 am

It does seem like this is getting closer to actually happening. Though like many, I'll believe it's real when construction actually starts.

Anyone know if there's a team already in place for their baseball stadium?

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:52 pm

I would say the Astros but I doubt they could fill the 6,000 seat capacity. :lmao:

I suck at LIFE!

Postby djboss302 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:08 pm

ernierocker wrote:I would say the Astros but I doubt they could fill the 6,000 seat capacity. :lmao:

:nina:
Top 5 Parks: 1. Cedar Point 2. Epcot 3. Busch Gardens Tampa 4. Holiday World 5. WDW Magic Kingdom
Coaster Count: Wood: 14 Steel: 33 Total: 47 Park count: 8
Top 5 Steel:1. Kumba 2. Montu 3. Raptor 4. Maverick 5. Batman
Top 5 Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. The Legend 3. Blue Streak 4. Viper 5. American Eagle (Red)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!