New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

Pg 33: December 14 groundbreaking for 2018 waterpark opening
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: New Park in Houston Area

Postby kailisun98 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:45 am

Yeah. But I dont think they have all the resources for all the attractions they plan to build.
Top 5 Steel: 1. Outlaw Run @ SDC 2. Flight Deck@CGA 3. X2@ SFMM 4. Medusa@ SFDK 5.YOLOcoaster @ SFMM
Top 3 Wooden: 1. El Toro@ SFGA 2.Gold Striker @ CGA 3. Apocolypse@ SFMM 4. "High Five"@ OCT Wuhan
Total Coaster Count: Wooden: 15 Steel: 143 Total: 158

I've got the ASS Burgers

Postby BigBomer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:54 am

^ They said they already reached a deal on wooden coaster and were close, (probably have by now) to reaching a deal on the steel coaster. I don't think you quite know what you're talking about.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby kailisun98 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:02 am

^You are correct about the coaster, but what about the funding for the entertainment district, complete with a water park, an amphitheater, a baseball stadium? The baseball stadium and amphitheater would cost a big fortune.
Top 5 Steel: 1. Outlaw Run @ SDC 2. Flight Deck@CGA 3. X2@ SFMM 4. Medusa@ SFDK 5.YOLOcoaster @ SFMM
Top 3 Wooden: 1. El Toro@ SFGA 2.Gold Striker @ CGA 3. Apocolypse@ SFMM 4. "High Five"@ OCT Wuhan
Total Coaster Count: Wooden: 15 Steel: 143 Total: 158

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:03 am

kailisun98 wrote:^You are correct about the coaster, but what about the funding for the entertainment district, complete with a water park, an amphitheater, a baseball stadium? The baseball stadium and amphitheater would cost a big fortune.

It's probably going to be a very basic baseball statium. Not your MLB style stadium. An amphitheater is actually something you could easily build as well. A lot of the attractions out side of the park could be open in phases as well. Just buying the land is a huge step for a park. If they start construction soon, we don't have harsh winters so they could work on it all year and have it open by 2015.

Let's just see what happens when the bulldozers come.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby palmerleeberry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:11 pm

During my last post in February, I was feeling a bit sketical about whether or not this new park planned for Houston will ever be built or not. Now, lo and behold, it looks like they have received the GREEN LIGHT to begin construction and hoping for a 2015 opening date.

Now while everyone else is speculating whether or not this park will actually open, my concern is what rides will the park have? While I'm thinking that some will be brand, spanking new; others I feel might be used rides that once ran in another park or on the state fair circuit as a cost-cutting method and to better fill up the park. Mewonders what they would do, but this is only speculation at this point. We'll wait and see.

"BY THE WAY, DON'T BURN ME!!!" :devil:

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby johnychen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:51 am

More news on the park

houston.culturemap.com/news/realestate/07-10-13-astroworld-times-six-construction-on-new-houston-theme-park-begins-and-its-size-is-already-expanding/

One can almost hear the roar of a roller coaster on the New Caney property where Grand Texas Theme Park will soon sprawl . . . but don't get ahead of yourself — it's just the hum of bulldozers

Site work is already underway on the heavily-wooded land off of Highway 59 and FM 242, according to the Business Journal. After several years of looking for the right spot, investors finalized the purchase from IBC Bank as previously reported by CultureMap.

"I'm the guy that's remembered as the one that tore down the Texas Cyclone. I'd like to leave a different legacy, actually."
What exactly will take form over the next two years remains to be determined. Chuck Hendrix, a former AstroWorld general manager who will run Grand Texas under the banner of Innovation Leisure Partners, told the HBJ that the park's amenities — which already include a water park, several hotels and a petting zoo — are "expanding daily."

"I'm the guy that's remembered as the one that tore down the Texas Cyclone," Hendrix said in an interview with KPRC. "I'd like to leave a different legacy, actually."

Brae Burn Construction Company has been selected to work on the theme park's next phase, which will break ground this fall for an anticipated completion in the spring of 2015. Dallas-based GHA Architects, led by principal Bob Runyon, is the designer designer on the project.

"We have enough acreage to keep us busy for a while," Hendrix said of the 640-acre plot — about six times the size of AstroWorld's footprint. Construction will take place in phases over the next 10 years.

Native Houstonian, rocket scientist, mobile DJ, theme park enthusiast, geek, Youtuber, and community activist.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 am

ernierocker wrote:With how amateurish this looked at the beginning, I am pretty shocked they are at this stage.

As am I. But it seems like this is progressing. Curious to see what happens next.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:09 am

Hopefully, they will not hit any snags.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:46 am

Unlike other projects you don't hear a lot about financing. They seem to have it or at least not letting on they don't yet. Things are looking pretty positive at the moment for this to at least get off the ground,

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Hriscay » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:56 pm

"I'm the guy that's remembered as the one that tore down the Texas Cyclone," Hendrix said in an interview with KPRC. "I'd like to leave a different legacy, actually."

Hmmm... How would you leave a different legacy... by rebuilding it!!! Now i know that's not the case but how awesome would it be if it was. Nonetheless, can't wait for a new park to finally open in my area. Houston greatly needs one and i've always thought the only way to truly ope one would be to start small and expand over time. Earthquest was too big for it to work, a great idea but too much at once.
Top 5 Steel: Titan, Superman Krypton Coaster, Raging Bull, Diamondback, Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast
Top 5 Wooden: El Toro, The Voyage, Outlaw Run, The Texas Cyclone RIP, Goliath (SFGAm)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!