Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: New Park in Houston Area

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:27 pm

ernierocker wrote:Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Park has a better chance of re-opening before this does.

That park does have the advantage of already "existing."

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:47 pm

I finally sat through the whole video. It was pretty painful to watch. It seems like every picture they had shown was from some other park. Might be interesting to see how many parks can be identified in the video.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:06 am

Jesus. The video... the website... it reeks so badly of unprofessionalism and some man-child's pipedream. Houston is the fourth largest city in the U.S. and needs a legitimate developer with legitimate investors to come forward with well-thought out plans for an attainable world-class park. This certainly isn't any of those things. Anyone from the games/models forum probably could have put together a better looking video and website!

Lastly, I'll add that the whole kitschy Texas theme seems like it was thought up by someone who wasn't from Texas.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:01 am

jzoole wrote:
Lastly, I'll add that the whole kitschy Texas theme seems like it was thought up by someone who wasn't from Texas.

You must have never met an Aggie.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:34 am

Are we SURE this wasn't some high school kids class project??!?!

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:23 am

Chittlins wrote:
jzoole wrote:

You must have never met an Aggie.

Hahaha! Good point!

But seriously, this overly cheesy Texas theming wouldn't resonate well with the majority of people in the Houston area.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:55 pm

^ I agree totally being a native Houstonian. We been trying to shake off the image that we are not a city full of cowboys with horses. We are an international city and home to mission control and the center for manned space flight. Also home to Compaq until HP bought them out.

Even if it's horribly cheesy, we do need a major amusement park in the area. However, anyone planning a new park should really consider converting the old Astrodome into a year round air conditioned park. The heat is over bearing in the summer down here and people would pay just for the air conditioning. Plus it would be pretty much where old Astroworld was. The location is even serviced by Metro light rail.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:31 pm

robbalvey wrote:Are we SURE this wasn't some high school kids class project??!?!

Robb, give us some credit. We can make stuff ten times BETTER than that! :lmao:

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:22 pm

^^That's an interesting idea that I think was rumored a few years back. It certainly would be neat. I'm not sure what kind of attractions could be fit into there. I'm having visions of a much larger version of the Adventuredome in Vegas.

I really think an outdoor park would be fine in Houston if a page was taken out of SFOT's book and there was heavy utilization of shade, misters, water rides, and places to get inside and beat the heat. Even AstroWorld did a great job of making the heat tolerable with shade structeres and air conditioned queues. Anyway, the cost of even bringing the Astrodome up to code has proven too expensive for anyone to attempt it yet, so it would be an insanely expensive project. It would probably allow for a higher quality product just to start from the ground up on an outdoor park somewhere North of Houston.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Just found this link I did an article on proposed theme parks in Houston click here if you like to read it. Grand Texas theme park looks like its on the right pathway. I still won't get my hopes up to high till I see land clearing and buildings going up. Not that it would ever happen but it be crazy if Houston got Earthquest, Grand Texas and the small theme park in Texas City. It's still cool to know Houston might get its theme park one day.
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS