Dark Ride Paradise - Wild Bill's Nostalgia Center

Page 42 - Wild Bill Dies
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Dark Ride Paradise - Wild Bill's Nostalgia Center

Postby Freiday » Sat May 31, 2014 3:44 pm

Nice to see this! :)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:49 am

I stopped by for a couple of hours on Monday, July 7th to catch up on the progress of the circus themed Dark Ride. On this visit Chuck had some of the plywood cutouts and props in place as he walked me through the layout of the Dark Ride. There are some gags that I have been asked to keep secret and ones of those gags involves an overactive donkey.

A big component of the circus theming will be the tent and tent poles placed over the front of the facade and throughout the ride. Signage for the ride will be cut from sheet metal and illuminated with a neon-like effect giving it a old time look. The nation's premier circus poster painter will also be visiting to create old school banners to hang from the walls of the building.

Unfortunately, the walk through Fun House is on hold as the city's newly appointed building inspector changed the rules and is making demands that were not expressed by his predecessor.
IMG_20140707_155659.jpg
When the ride is completed, from this focal point you will be able to see into the dark ride through those openings on the right and left.
IMG_20140707_155722.jpg
This is the loading platform. As you prepare to enter the building the world's only operating Laughing Louie greets you.
IMG_20140707_155737.jpg
The first evil clown you will encounter
IMG_20140707_155753.jpg
The falling barrel gag (built by PTC and salvaged from Beech Bend, I believe).
IMG_20140707_155803.jpg
A lot of the appearances of the evil clowns will be accentuated with much neon paint
IMG_20140707_155820.jpg
Eventually it will be much darker inside once completed. At this point I believe the car will pass through another of the 8 sets of bang doors.
IMG_20140707_155842.jpg
Due to all the space inside the building, Chuck had to bend an additional 80 feet of track. Chuck described the ride length as being two rides in one. The beginning will involve a lot of clowns perspective tricks and psychedelic effects added towards the middle of the ride.
IMG_20140707_163002.jpg
Just to prove it is not all about clowns.
IMG_20140707_163012.jpg
More props to be installed.
IMG_20140707_160527.jpg
I don't know if this guy is going in the dark ride but I found him to be creepy.
IMG_20140707_160845.jpg
Imagine a tent pole rising from the front porch, with a white tent over the facade.
IMG_20140707_160007.jpg
A coupe more photos just to give you perspective on the size of the building.
IMG_20140707_160648.jpg
Red White and Blue shingles
IMG_20140707_160744.jpg
Wild Bill's initials on the other side.
IMG_20140707_163637.jpg
Chuck's friend Michelle ask he asked for a picture so I obliged.
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:54 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Looks like the dark ride is shaping up nicely. Thanks for the update, Larry.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:06 pm

The dark ride's looking great! And the front circus tent facade is going to look awesome!

Thanks for sharing the photos, Larry.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby printersdevil78 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Last week I had the opportunity to visit Wild Bill's, which had been on my list of places to visit even before the dark ride project began. The entire complex truly is a sight to behold, but for the purpose of this update, I'll stick to the projects Larry already has covered.

When I started planning my trip (not just to Wild Bill's, but across several Mid-Atlantic and New England states) a little under a year ago, I hoped at least one of the rides at Wild Bill's would be open by the time I arrived. 'Twas not to be, but I asked anyway and mentioned that I knew Larry (thanks, Larry!) and had been following the progress on TPR. Wild Bill was happy to hear that and introduced me to Chuck, who offered me a guided tour. They asked me to extend the invitation to any TPR forum readers to stop by and take a look any time they are in the area. They're very excited that the TPR community is taking an interest.

I do have one minor update from Larry's last photo set, in that the elf is an authentic piece of Macy's New York window dressing from the '50s, but still no word whether it will be included in any of the haunted attractions. I also met a very large, very live snake that is being planned as part of the attraction.

Inside the Pretzel dark ride, Chuck told me he's received some criticism for including the cartoon devil Larry showed earlier, adding that he couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, especially since kids blow out the brains of zombies (and others) in exceedingly graphic video games on a daily basis; his opinion is that, given that example, a cartoon plywood devil probably isn't the biggest threat to the innocence of America's youth.

Walking through what has been completed of the walk-through so far, it felt just like the few Bill Tracy walk-throughs I've had the opportunity to experience, which Chuck took as a big compliment. He also made a point of noting that, unlike many "haunt" attractions in the area, all the "scares" in the attractions will be pneumatically or electromechanically controlled; no live actors. Once everything is completed, this collection of attractions is going to be something very special.

Visually, there aren't too many exterior changes, but I do have a few photos to offer. Enjoy!
1.JPG
A good overall view of the dark ride's exterior so far.
2.JPG
The walk-through from behind the fence, as visitors would first see it from the parking lot.
3.JPG
A close-up of the a gate in the walk-through.
4.JPG
A piece of set dressing we haven't seen before.
5.JPG
A panel on the outside of Wild Bill's store provides a rendering of the walk-through.
6.JPG
Another panel on the store pays tribute to the original Pretzel dark rides. (Others pay homage to everything from Universal monsters to sideshow attractions to King Kong to Bozo the Clown and beyond.)
7.JPG
Just to the side of the walk-through is this original panel from the original "Laff in the Dark" ride at Lake Compounce.
8.JPG
This semi-legible sign provides some background on the "Laff in the Dark" panel.
9.JPG
And finally, across the field, the stage set has been painted and given a name. Looking forward to more updates from Wild Bill's in the future!

Postby larrygator » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:23 pm

Jason - I'm glad you made it up there, I knew you would love appreciate the whole complex.

I'm going to try to make it up there one more time before the year is out.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:57 pm

It always warms my heart to come back to this thread and see the progress that's being made. Amazing. Thanks to all for the continued updates!
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby palmerleeberry » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:11 pm

^Yeah, what he said with lots of sugar on top! :Pr

But I do have a question about something I saw in one of the photo ( the one that shows Wild Bill's initials on the roof). On the ground near that building stands something that looks like it came off a spinning flat ride. Does anybody know what it is, what its doing there, and will it ever be installed in something? This rider and amusement park flyer wants to know!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ratdogg68 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:32 pm

^ Looks like one of those Rocket Ship Kiddie Rides, like Holiday World has.
Let the Riding begin

Postby larrygator » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:01 pm

^^They have at least a half dozen kiddie flats that are being restored. The ride you mention is their Jet Fighter I have a better picture of it in this Update . Also I mention at the tail end of that update a German Carousel that Wild Bill bought last year, it was recently delivered on site. It is similar to the one that used to be at Kiddieland in Chicago pictured here
Last edited by larrygator on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:01 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!