Tallest coaster you've been on.

What is it?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Tallest coaster you've been on.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:08 am

Password121 wrote:I'm gonna be honest, you guys are really going way over my head saying Kingda Ka isn't a coaster or that you need a lift hill to count a drop. I'm not one to say that "anything that wants to be a coaster, is!" but seriously?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know. Where did this crap come from?

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:18 am

^ right? By that logic are Storm Runner and Xcelerator not coasters either? :?r

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Top Thrill Dragster.
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Physical wrote:Kingda Ka, but I consider that a thrill ride. . .

This seriously makes no sense. How can you not consider a roller coaster, a roller coaster??

:roll:
Bigger is not always better.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby MisterP » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:19 pm

High Speed Thrill Coaster

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby coloradocoasterguy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Password121 wrote:I'm gonna be honest, you guys are really going way over my head saying Kingda Ka isn't a coaster or that you need a lift hill to count a drop. I'm not one to say that "anything that wants to be a coaster, is!" but seriously?

Side note--the twist on Dragster/Ka doesn't slow the train. Those would be the brakes. It's just a cool visual effect, basically.

There is no "you guys". Only one guy said KK and TTD weren't coasters and it wasn't me. As far as I'm concerned if it has a track with two rails and is gravity driven then it's a coaster. The launch or lift hill is just the mechanism that puts the train in a position for gravity to take over.

Also I didn't say the twist acted as the braking system. I said it slows the descent. A change in track direction always acts to slow momentum. I maintain that straight drops like Fury324 or Int305 or even Xcelerator are more intense than the twisted drops on KK and TTD. That's all I was saying.

Postby coloradocoasterguy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:05 pm

boldikus wrote:^ right? By that logic are Storm Runner and Xcelerator not coasters either? :?r

Well, considering that they "coast" on ""rollers" then I'd say they are roller coasters.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:29 pm

^^I wasn't referring to you about calling it not a coaster.

I'm really having a hard time understanding where you're coming from with the vertical twist thing though. I'm not an engineer (I'm an engineering student, actually) but the train is still descending 90 degrees. The added track length from the twist maybe adds like 0.2 seconds to the total time of descending. If something reduces momentum it slows the train, in this case, so I disagree.

Let's move on though because it's a meaningless discussion. No hard feelings.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Postby Swede » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:37 pm

Kingda-Ka as a launch. Fury 325 as a chain lift.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:25 pm

I can't speak for anybody else, but as for me personally, the twist on the drop of both Kingda Ka and TTD, while fun, DOES take away from the "Wow! I'm hurting headlong towards the ground!" excitement, and feeling, I get on more traditional lift hill coasters. Personally, I find the 100 foot drop on Maverick more exciting than the 400 foot drop on TTD. But that's just me. That's why coasters like KK and TTD, while fun, aren't super high up in my rankings. "Gimmick" is a term that is way overused by enthusiasts in reference to coasters, and coaster elements, but I'll be honest... That's kind of what the Height/Speed records on those coasters feel like to me. Just my .02, however, and it certainly doesn't have to be that way for anybody else, or offend anybody! ;)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!