Found this on CoasterGallery...

Any info on this coaster at Great Escape?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Found this on CoasterGallery...

Postby coasterbill » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:53 am

My uncle has a house in Ticonderoga and about ten years ago we all went up there for a weekend and went to Great Escape. We waited for what seemed like an hour with very few people in front of us. The ride was forgettable, it wasn't bad but it was nothing special either... definitely not worth the ridiculously slow moving wait in line.

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Tue May 07, 2013 12:33 pm

All I know about this coaster other than the fact that it has been moved many times and one of its homes was Darien Lake as "Nightmare at Phantom Cave" that only lasted three years there before it was move to The Great Escape where it "died" and there were rumors that the coaster was removed from its building at The Great Escape, possibly scrapped it was SBNO at The Great Escape from 2006-2012.

From what have heard Darien Lake ended up getting rid of the indoor Schwarzkopf Jet Star coaster that was moved to The Great Escape was due its capacity issues resulting in long wait lines.

But I do wish that there were more pictures of the ride when it was at Darien Lake!

This was the only picture that I could find inside the building.
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Metsfan0618 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 pm

DarienLaker wrote:All I know about this coaster other than the fact that it has been moved many times and one of its homes was Darien Lake as "Nightmare at Phantom Cave" that only lasted three years there before it was move to The Great Escape where it "died" and there were rumors that the coaster was removed from its building at The Great Escape, possibly scrapped it was SBNO at The Great Escape from 2006-2012.

From what have heard Darien Lake ended up getting rid of the indoor Schwarzkopf Jet Star coaster that was moved to The Great Escape was due its capacity issues resulting in long wait lines.

The Great Escape too got rid of it because of its horrible capacity, long waits, etc.. Not sure how they did it at Darien Lake, but at The Great Escape they only put 2 to a car, instead of the 4 it could hold.

There aren't rumors that it was removed and scrapped. The coaster is long gone. It was removed around '08. You could just look in the doors on the backside of the building on Desperado Plunge to figure that out.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Tue May 07, 2013 7:33 pm

I was lucky to ride it in the early 90s at Kentucky Kingdom. The park was NOT crowded but the queue to FOREVER. I think capacity (as others have said) was the reason parks kept closing it down/passing it on. Another problem was the first drop hits the right hand turn very hard, so only one rider per seat (don't want any hurt noses/arms, etc.). I seem to remember that part of the ride being lit up by a small flood light.

I'm a big Schwarzkopf fan, so I love these rides. I'd even say Tig'ger at Indiana Beach is one of my favorite rides anywhere. Even with the still-sorta-newly added seatbelts :)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Yeah, I mean, it was a Jet Star in a box. Honestly, I didn't think it was anything special. Sure, I love Schwarzkopf rides, and I love coasters in the dark, but like, it was just a poor man's Space Mountain with awful capacity. People pretty much complained about it at every park it was at. It probably would have done better at a smaller park just sitting outside and not in a box.

No loss, IMO.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 pm

I couldn't figure out why they kept moving it WITH THE BOX. Why not just keep the great ride inside?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue May 07, 2013 8:59 pm

GayCoasterGuy wrote:I couldn't figure out why they kept moving it WITH THE BOX. Why not just keep the great ride inside?

Do you mean outside? If yes, then I agree. I think it would have fared much better outside.

Postby DarienLaker » Thu May 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Frankly, I would like to see this coaster be moved to a smaller park, like Martin's Fantasy Island without the box. But there's only one question about the Schwarzkopf Jet Star coaster that was Nightmare at Phantom Cave/Crack Axle Canyon after The Great Escape removed the coaster from the building is was it scrapped? If it wasn't scrapped a small park would love to have that coaster! ;)

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby TheAmericanKnight » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Does anyone have more pictures of when this ride was at Darien Lake?

Also, does no POV video exist of this ride from any of the times it was moved? Not even one from Great Escape?

Postby DarienLaker » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Speaking of Darien Lake, I made some recreated art work of Nightmare at Phantom Cave on Devaintart.

http://fav.me/dcna3rp
The entrance mural

http://fav.me/dcna3j4
The logo

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!