TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Found this on CoasterGallery...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As per RCDB: http://rcdb.com/445.htm

Roller Coaster: Nightmare at Crack Axle Canyon

Amusement Park: Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom (Queensbury, New York, USA)

Classification: Roller Coaster

Type: Steel - Sit Down

SBNO from 2007 to 2008 or earlier

Operated from 1999 to 2006

Relocations: Beech Bend as Starchaser

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom as Starchaser

Darien Lake as Nightmare At Phantom Cave

Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom as Nightmare at Crack Axle Canyon

Make / Model: Schwarzkopf / All Models / Jet Star

Designer: Ing.-Büro Stengel GmbH

Dimensions: 88' 7" x 144' 4"

Categories: Enclosed

Maps: Bing Maps (Satellite) · Google Maps (Satellite)

Length: 1765' 1"

Height: 44' 3"

Inversions: 0

Speed: 31.1 mph

Trains: Single car trains. Riders are arranged inline in 4 rows for a total of 4 riders per car.

I remember riding this when it was nightmare at phantom cave at Darien Lake. It was a fun ride. Six Flags removed it and put a Batman show in the building. When Six flags sold the park and Parc started managing Darien Lake the building was turned into the Galaxy Theatre. Home to a circus show and later, sea lion splash...

My uncle has a house in Ticonderoga and about ten years ago we all went up there for a weekend and went to Great Escape. We waited for what seemed like an hour with very few people in front of us. The ride was forgettable, it wasn't bad but it was nothing special either... definitely not worth the ridiculously slow moving wait in line.

• 2 years later...

All I know about this coaster other than the fact that it has been moved many times and one of its homes was Darien Lake as "Nightmare at Phantom Cave" that only lasted three years there before it was move to The Great Escape where it "died" and there were rumors that the coaster was removed from its building at The Great Escape, possibly scrapped it was SBNO at The Great Escape from 2006-2012.

From what have heard Darien Lake ended up getting rid of the indoor Schwarzkopf Jet Star coaster that was moved to The Great Escape was due its capacity issues resulting in long wait lines.

But I do wish that there were more pictures of the ride when it was at Darien Lake!

This was the only picture that I could find inside the building.

All I know about this coaster other than the fact that it has been moved many times and one of its homes was Darien Lake as "Nightmare at Phantom Cave" that only lasted three years there before it was move to The Great Escape where it "died" and there were rumors that the coaster was removed from its building at The Great Escape, possibly scrapped it was SBNO at The Great Escape from 2006-2012.

From what have heard Darien Lake ended up getting rid of the indoor Schwarzkopf Jet Star coaster that was moved to The Great Escape was due its capacity issues resulting in long wait lines.

The Great Escape too got rid of it because of its horrible capacity, long waits, etc.. Not sure how they did it at Darien Lake, but at The Great Escape they only put 2 to a car, instead of the 4 it could hold.

There aren't rumors that it was removed and scrapped. The coaster is long gone. It was removed around '08. You could just look in the doors on the backside of the building on Desperado Plunge to figure that out.

I was lucky to ride it in the early 90s at Kentucky Kingdom. The park was NOT crowded but the queue to FOREVER. I think capacity (as others have said) was the reason parks kept closing it down/passing it on. Another problem was the first drop hits the right hand turn very hard, so only one rider per seat (don't want any hurt noses/arms, etc.). I seem to remember that part of the ride being lit up by a small flood light.

I'm a big Schwarzkopf fan, so I love these rides. I'd even say Tig'ger at Indiana Beach is one of my favorite rides anywhere. Even with the still-sorta-newly added seatbelts

Yeah, I mean, it was a Jet Star in a box. Honestly, I didn't think it was anything special. Sure, I love Schwarzkopf rides, and I love coasters in the dark, but like, it was just a poor man's Space Mountain with awful capacity. People pretty much complained about it at every park it was at. It probably would have done better at a smaller park just sitting outside and not in a box.

No loss, IMO.

I couldn't figure out why they kept moving it WITH THE BOX. Why not just keep the great ride inside?

Do you mean outside? If yes, then I agree. I think it would have fared much better outside.

Frankly, I would like to see this coaster be moved to a smaller park, like Martin's Fantasy Island without the box. But there's only one question about the Schwarzkopf Jet Star coaster that was Nightmare at Phantom Cave/Crack Axle Canyon after The Great Escape removed the coaster from the building is was it scrapped? If it wasn't scrapped a small park would love to have that coaster!

• 5 years later...
Does anyone have more pictures of when this ride was at Darien Lake?

Also, does no POV video exist of this ride from any of the times it was moved? Not even one from Great Escape?

Here's a still image from a POV (1080P even!):

uomkVIL.png

Just imagine that over and over and you get the idea.

Oh, and congrats on the necromancy.