Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby ryder » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:01 pm

I'm a bit concerned to hear about the Dolphin Pool going away... I'm going up next week to do the Dolphin Encounter that's included with the Diamond Elite. We signed up and got a confirmation, so it's happening somehow... does that happen in a different location?

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby DropDeadFuzzy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11 pm

ryder wrote:I'm a bit concerned to hear about the Dolphin Pool going away... I'm going up next week to do the Dolphin Encounter that's included with the Diamond Elite. We signed up and got a confirmation, so it's happening somehow... does that happen in a different location?

The pool they are removing is not the one they do the encounters with.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:13 pm

ALT2870 wrote:
scooterdoug wrote:
Samuel wrote:Is there a reason that most of the coasters and big rides are packed along the front areas of the park? I remember Pandemonium, Zonga, and now Superman and this new DC nook all working along the same strip. I'm wondering if it's simply the space that's most readily available, or if there is some reason that this is where the park has to pack in its rides.

I believe that there are couple of reasons for this. First, the land on the other side of the lake is residential, and the homeowners don't want noisy roller coasters echoing across the lake. Second, management keeps that side of the park quiet so as not to disturb the animals. I think that those are the main reasons for the lopsided layout of the park. The decommissioned naval base accounts for the 150' height restriction in the park. I could be wrong, but I believe those are the reasons that the park is laid out the way it is.

That is what I have heard as well. Makes perfect sense really.

Thanks guys, and everyone else who chimed in, too. I've always been curious about the tightly-packed rides areas compared to most of the rest of the park!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:32 am

DropDeadFuzzy wrote:
ryder wrote:I'm a bit concerned to hear about the Dolphin Pool going away... I'm going up next week to do the Dolphin Encounter that's included with the Diamond Elite. We signed up and got a confirmation, so it's happening somehow... does that happen in a different location?

The pool they are removing is not the one they do the encounters with.

Yes, there are some "backstage" dolphin pools accessed past the dolphin pool in question and the picnic areas. They let people go there to see the baby when the baby was new. I believe the dolphin encounter pool is one of those.

They previously had an upcharge dolphin feeding and photo op experience at the pool that's being removed but it's been a while. It was only $15 compared to the encounter which is $150+. I've never done the encounter but one day I will...
IMG_0057.jpeg
Too cute not to reshare
IMG_0058.jpeg
You can somewhat see that this is a different viewing area based on the concrete at the bottom
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0134.jpeg
Aborbs
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby sfkk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:31 am

I think it is fairly clear that six flags intends to slowly but surely phase out the animal aspect from this park. Northern California I cannot imagine is too keen overall on captivity.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby crikett » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:31 am

sfkk wrote:I think it is fairly clear that six flags intends to slowly but surely phase out the animal aspect from this park. Northern California I cannot imagine is too keen overall on captivity.

I've had a similar feeling over the last few years, as more and more exhibits went empty and things seemed to be headed towards either a much smaller number of animals, or none at all. However, one of the last Park Surveys I had was focused entirely around animals, possible new exhibits, and potential new animal experiences. Of course, none of this means any of this will happen, but it does mean that Six Flags hasn't made the decision to phase out animals or remove them, and is actively thinking about some expansion in this area. The reality is probably that things will continue along the current trend, but they are at least aware that Discovery Kingdom is unique in what they currently have, and there is at least potential interest in maintaining or even expanding that aspect.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ryder » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:14 am

Keep in mind SFGrAdv has a HUGE animal attraction... so unless they decided to close that (and it's so immense and integral to the park, I can't imagine it)... SF will always be forced to dabble in the animal game.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby DropDeadFuzzy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:03 pm

The lift for Batman has begun. https://www.instagram.com/p/BwKfXdqh2HM/

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 16, 2019 9:31 am

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is running a pretty cool event for members on Friday, May 25. They're having a "midnight party" from 10 pm to 3 am to celebrate the opening of their new Batman the Ride 4D coaster.

The article also states all of DC Universe will be open too, so I think that means Joker, Superman, Harley Quinn, and Wonder Woman should be running too.

Link to Event on Six Flags site
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Gardaland & Mirabilandia

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Thu May 16, 2019 12:04 pm

^I saw that as well. I'm impressed how quickly they moved on construction after a slow start. I won't go to this, as I have a gold season pass, not a membership. However, I can't wait to ride this. I rode the SFFT version, and it was loads of fun. I'll be interested in hearing from anyone who goes to this event, as the limit of 2,000 attendees could still mean crowds (though, they'll likely thin out as the night wears on).
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!