Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:31 pm

jray21 wrote:Too bad Discover Kingdom 5D is already outdated. Just across the bay, in San Francisco, they have 7D!!!!! :lmao:

And In Paris, there's 8D. And it's portable, too!
IMG_9051.JPG
See? 8D on the Entrée ramp!
Resize of IMG_5688e.JPG
And then there's 6D in Play Park, Finland.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby WayCool64 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:14 pm

Fire2box wrote:just got back from SF:DK, it was 100% dead in the park. Everything was a walk on, all day. Even Pacific Rim. Which is.... just a edited verison of the movie to be a ride.

I thought so! This is exactly what's been bugging me with Simex-Iwerks nowadays. Most of their current library consists of re-edited movies that they label as a ride. I mean, I could give Happy Feet at CGA some fairness as they took parts of the film that seemed the most like a ride. But the other recent "ridefilms" (especially given what I heard about the new PR ride) just looks like lazy effort. I understand making new content can be expensive, but why even bother with using IPs like this at all if you're not going to do something interesting with them?

Fire2box wrote:i'd rather have Dino Island again or 7th Portal.

With the new dinosaur craze going around I wouldn't mind them bringing Dino Island back, although I will say the film (or at least the CG in it) is a tad outdated. Also, wasn't 7th Portal made especially for CGA? Granted I never visited SFDK as much as the other California parks, but did it really play there?
Love animation and video games? Check out my Dinosaur Planet fanseries project: http://dpfanseries.webs.com/

To serve with excellence

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:06 pm

WayCool64 wrote:
Fire2box wrote:just got back from SF:DK, it was 100% dead in the park. Everything was a walk on, all day. Even Pacific Rim. Which is.... just a edited verison of the movie to be a ride.

I thought so! This is exactly what's been bugging me with Simex-Iwerks nowadays. Most of their current library consists of re-edited movies that they label as a ride. I mean, I could give Happy Feet at CGA some fairness as they took parts of the film that seemed the most like a ride. But the other recent "ridefilms" (especially given what I heard about the new PR ride) just looks like lazy effort. I understand making new content can be expensive, but why even bother with using IPs like this at all if you're not going to do something interesting with them?

Fire2box wrote:i'd rather have Dino Island again or 7th Portal.

With the new dinosaur craze going around I wouldn't mind them bringing Dino Island back, although I will say the film (or at least the CG in it) is a tad outdated. Also, wasn't 7th Portal made especially for CGA? Granted I never visited SFDK as much as the other California parks, but did it really play there?

I don't think 7th portal played at SF:DK but I know it was at least fun at CGA and better then the stupid spongebob thing they replaced it with.

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:15 pm

5D, 6D, 7D, 8D, what's next 9D?
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:29 pm

DarienLaker wrote:5D, 6D, 7D, 8D, what's next 9D?

Maybe Dollywood will install the worlds first "Double D" simulator.
Bigger is not always better.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Paradox » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:55 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:

:nina:
Is this a trick question?

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:57 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:

Two different meanings here.

double D or Edd with Double D.

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:20 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:

Or maybe Dollywood (or some other park) may just skip 9D and go for 10D instead!
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RaceBoarder » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:42 pm

So I'm working on coming up with my Summer travel plans... Still just in the idea phase, but I'm considering going out to the Bay area... Just had a couple questions:

- How driveable is the Bay area?

If I go, the main reason for the trip would be the US Men's National Team's Copa America match at Levi's Stadium on Friday, June 3rd... Santa Clara seems to be on the South End of SF Bay... SFDK seems to be on the North end... Based on maps, it seems like 880/580/80 would offer a straight shot of ~55 miles, but I hear driving in CA can be a total bitch... Am I nuts for considering this drive between the two? I'd also do some tourist stuff around San Fran, so I got points of interest all over the area...

- How about the park itself?

1st week of June is the 1st week of daily ops... Schools still in session? Anything to watch out for during that time? Weekday or Weekend days are options (obviously weekday is preferred)... Weather at the park? Also weather in general? I know the Bay Area is pretty screwy and a few miles can make a huge difference in temps...

- Airports?

Seems that OAK, SFO, and SJC are all accessible from Chicago... Anything to consider here?

Thanks for any insight! It's appreciated :)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:13 pm

RaceBoarder wrote:So I'm working on coming up with my Summer travel plans... Still just in the idea phase, but I'm considering going out to the Bay area... Just had a couple questions:

- How driveable is the Bay area?

If I go, the main reason for the trip would be the US Men's National Team's Copa America match at Levi's Stadium on Friday, June 3rd... Santa Clara seems to be on the South End of SF Bay... SFDK seems to be on the North end... Based on maps, it seems like 880/580/80 would offer a straight shot of ~55 miles, but I hear driving in CA can be a total bitch... Am I nuts for considering this drive between the two? I'd also do some tourist stuff around San Fran, so I got points of interest all over the area...

- How about the park itself?

1st week of June is the 1st week of daily ops... Schools still in session? Anything to watch out for during that time? Weekday or Weekend days are options (obviously weekday is preferred)... Weather at the park? Also weather in general? I know the Bay Area is pretty screwy and a few miles can make a huge difference in temps...

- Airports?

Seems that OAK, SFO, and SJC are all accessible from Chicago... Anything to consider here?

Thanks for any insight! It's appreciated :)

The only place where driving is a bitch is within the city of San Francisco. Between SFDK and CGA/Levis is no problem. The good thing about San Francisco though is their public transit is pretty fantastic. BART is extremely convenient, you can park at a BART station outside of the city and then take the BART train into the city and/or take MUNI trains and buses to get to tourist spots in the city. Easier than driving (and parking) in the city.

One driving tip I can offer is do not use the 880 during rush hour, it's a parking lot. (And btw if you're going to Levis Stadium anyway, you might as well hit CGA). Weather in June can be tough to predict..it may be mild or it may be scorching.

Airports are a toss up, they're all fine though SFO can be kind of a zoo sometimes. Choose which one otherwise fits your logistics.

Depending on how much time you have you should consider visiting the Santa Cruz Beach Boarwalk too. It's a stunning beautiful park with one of the greatest classic woodies ever built and it's only about an hr drive from CGA/Levis. I always go to SCBB the same day any time I go to CGA or vice versa. The drive between the two is one for skilled drivers though, highway 17 goes through some windy hilly roads and there's a lot of wrecks.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!