Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby Fire2box » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:17 pm

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby dannyboy13 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:32 pm

Just came here to say the same thing.... Anyone hear anything more? Seems like we'll hear soon anyway since the post mentioned January

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:51 pm

SO EXCITED. When I was there on NYE, I did notice they were taking down the Fright Fest maze stuff around there. Didn't think to mention it because I thought I was probably being a crazy fangirl and looking into it too much. Guess they really are doing something! :D

I've literally been waiting for something to happen to this theater ever since it closed years ago. I always felt it had so much unused potential just sitting there and only partially being used once a year. No matter what they're gonna do with it, it'll be a great improvement!

+1 for us again, CGA ;)

Throwback to Dinosphere:
from page 46 of this thread :)
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby Fire2box » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm still hoping for a dark ride or new water based ride at the elephant and cougar area if they decide to send them to a zoo or sanctuary. Then after that, they can finally get rid of Kong and build like 15 stands of dippin dots. ;)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby dannyboy13 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:18 am

I'm hoping a Justice League dark ride comes in like 2 years. I figure after Joker, 2017 will probably be a small addition, but 2018 could be a possibility

Postby Fire2box » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:26 am

dannyboy13 wrote:I'm hoping a Justice League dark ride comes in like 2 years. I figure after Joker, 2017 will probably be a small addition, but 2018 could be a possibility

The fan base of Teen Titans (original cartoon) would slit my throat for this, but i'd think a Teen Titans Go! shooting dark ride would be perfect for SF:DK I think. The show is "popular" but maybe isn't popular enough to have a dark ride based around it. The colors are certainly bright enough for it and I think the show is in it's 3rd season now.

As for the theater, in 2019-2020 maybe it can have something based on The Expanse (TV show) if it gets as popular as syfy and fans want it. It got renewed for a season 2 only 4 episodes into season 1. (the first two episodes are really dense BTW.)

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:56 am

Fire2box wrote:The fan base of Teen Titans (original cartoon) would slit my throat for this, but i'd think a Teen Titans Go! shooting dark ride would be perfect for SF:DK I think. The show is "popular" but maybe isn't popular enough to have a dark ride based around it. The colors are certainly bright enough for it and I think the show is in it's 3rd season now.

Teen Titans Go is insanely popular with children. I think that it's the most popular show on Cartoon Network right now. The show is episodic in that each episode has a completely different plot and they effectively return to status quo at the end, so they can expand the universe infinitely.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Follow me on Instagram for perfectly adequate theme park photos!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Gnome » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:33 am

A.J. wrote:
Fire2box wrote:The fan base of Teen Titans (original cartoon) would slit my throat for this, but i'd think a Teen Titans Go! shooting dark ride would be perfect for SF:DK I think. The show is "popular" but maybe isn't popular enough to have a dark ride based around it. The colors are certainly bright enough for it and I think the show is in it's 3rd season now.

Teen Titans Go is insanely popular with children. I think that it's the most popular show on Cartoon Network right now. The show is episodic in that each episode has a completely different plot and they effectively return to status quo at the end, so they can expand the universe infinitely.

Teen titans go is to narrow of a demographic and its current audience will likely outgrow it in a year or 2. I think the current Justice League dark ride appeals to a much broader demographic.

If they do build it, I hope they get higher quality projections. That and the capacity are the only issues I had with it at SFOT but overall it's a great ride that I hope more six flags parks could only benefit from
Don't worry, it's an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby WayCool64 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 pm

My theory behind this news of DinoSphere potentially reopening is that since both SFDK and CGA had the same type of simulator (Iwerks TurboRide), Six Flags probably got word about CGA replacing the old ride with Mass Effect: New Earth in its place, and decided to reopen theirs either because their simulator already had 4D effects installed during its last year of operation (competition perhaps?) or probably so there can be contrast with SFDK having a more family-friendly simulator ride (along with possibly keeping the old ride system, but we don't know yet), as opposed to the new ride system and mature themes that'll probably be in the Mass Effect ride at CGA. Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Either way, I'm happy to hear more about this (and very surprised too given most of the other simulator theater attractions at other SF parks were shut down). :b
Love animation and video games? Check out my Dinosaur Planet fanseries project: http://dpfanseries.webs.com/

To serve with excellence

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:04 pm

As much as I think a dark ride would be great, I'm expecting it to reopen as a 4D motion simulator ride again. Why else would they announce it in January instead of waiting for the typical Fall Six Flags announcements? I'd be surprised if it was anything more than that at this point, as I think they would wait until Fall if it was Justice League, which very well might happen to it in the future.

Pros of it being a motion simulator theater is they can do Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park overlays and change the program every few years if one becomes outdated or unpopular.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!