Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby INF199 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:47 am

Does anyone know the Fright Fest mazes at SFDK? On their site it says NEW: Demons Lair and Scarecrows Hollow. Are these the only mazes or are there more. I bought the Fright Fest wristband and now wondering if it was even worth it. Also their page says Monday, October 8 is a non Fright Fest product (OCT 8 is Tuesday). So I’m wondering if this is even the right page because I can’t seem to find anything else.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby INF199 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:48 pm

How dead is this thread lol

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby pdcon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:18 pm

INF199 wrote:How dead is this thread lol

As much as I love this site, sadly Ifeel like this whole site is slowly dying. I am probably wrong though.
TOP 5 COASTERS (5) EXPEDITION EVEREST DAK (4) RAIL BLAZER CGA (3) BIZZARO SFNE(2) IRON RATTLER SFFT (1) TWISTED COLLOSUS SFMM

Anyone remember the days when these were called Taglines?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:14 pm

Not to toot my own horn but this thread hasn't been the same since I moved out of the area. I visited the park pretty often and would make a point to post frequent updates and photo TRs. If you don't believe me, look back to 2015-summer 2016 for comparison. I've never understood why but other people just don't post photo TRs or updates about this park nearly as often as other parks even when there is construction and other things happening at SFDK.

EDIT: I realize Joker construction did help keep the conversation/interest flow during that time, but this was happening even before that.

pdcon wrote: As much as I love this site, sadly Ifeel like this whole site is slowly dying. I am probably wrong though.

I've been feeling that way too. Maybe there's just too many people moving over to Facebook feeling disinterested in online forums the more they surf on their phones rather than desktop/laptop computers.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby FireandBlood91 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:15 am

I plan on taking a trip to Discovery Kingdom next Friday for the first time. The park is open from 5-10 for Fright Fest I'm assuming. What is a good game plan once I get into the park? Also, I bought the all season maze pass at Magic Mountain, will it work for Discovery Kingdom? Is there any good hotels that are kinda halfway between CGA and SFDK for $100 or less? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:01 pm

FireandBlood91 wrote:I plan on taking a trip to Discovery Kingdom next Friday for the first time. The park is open from 5-10 for Fright Fest I'm assuming. What is a good game plan once I get into the park? Also, I bought the all season maze pass at Magic Mountain, will it work for Discovery Kingdom? Is there any good hotels that are kinda halfway between CGA and SFDK for $100 or less? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I usually do the left-side coasters first (Joker, Superman, V2, Batman) but so do most other guests. The lines will clear out more when the mazes start and also closer to closing. However, the launch coasters and Joker tend to break down more and they don't always open with the park. When you walk up see what's testing and gauge it that way. Go to whatever is running. The park is smaller but maze lines can get a bit long so it might be tough to do everything in 5 hours. You could spring for the maze VIP if you really want to do them and that helps cut lines a bit for those.

I don't think the maze pass works at all SF parks, just the one you got it for, but I could be wrong. Check it out on your membership portal and see if it says.

I don't know any hotels but the area between SFDK and CGA (Vallejo and Oakland specifically and also parts of San Jose) isn't the best and you might want to think twice before jumping onto the first cheap hotel you find. Have you ever tried Air Bnb? You might be able to find some cheaper places that are better. But again, just be careful about the neighborhoods you book.

Have fun! Take some pictures and let us know how it goes!
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby coasterbill » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:19 pm

FireandBlood91 wrote:I plan on taking a trip to Discovery Kingdom next Friday for the first time. The park is open from 5-10 for Fright Fest I'm assuming. What is a good game plan once I get into the park? Also, I bought the all season maze pass at Magic Mountain, will it work for Discovery Kingdom? Is there any good hotels that are kinda halfway between CGA and SFDK for $100 or less? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I've never stayed here, but Dublin seems to be your best bet based on the location you're looking for since there are a bunch of hotels there and it's kind of between the parks. This place seems to fit the bill and the area looks fine on Street View. It's a Holiday Inn, it'll be perfectly acceptable.

Don't overthink it.
Last edited by coasterbill on Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:24 pm.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Bubba » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:06 pm

I live in Hayward which is almost in between both parks, though I'm a bit closer to Great America.
I would suggest looking at hotels in Emeryville, Oakland, Hayward, Union City, Newark, or Fremont.
As I listen the cities going left to right, you get closer to Great America. Six Flags requires you to cross a bridge so I recommend getting that out the way and staying in the cities I listed. Without traffic from my city I get to Six Flags at about 45mins-hour. Great America is only like 25-35 minutes, I drive a little fast though :lol:

Dublin is great too as Coasterbill stated but Dublin is about 15-60 minutes out the way East depending on traffic. Unfortunately, going that way can have the worse traffic in the area if you plan on hitting the parks on a weekday. That whole are is full of affordable homes so you have everyone driving towards San Fran & Oakland in the mornings for work, then it's just as bad when everyone heads back in the afternoons. You'll be fine on the weekends though it's just about 15-20 minutes out the way from N880 freeway that would lead you to both parks.
Edit: I forgot the parks are only open on weekends now but so my traffic warning would only apply if you go on Fridays.

I'm not sure how Sixflags FF is now as I actually stopped going due to them running it horribly a few times. If they still do wristbands, get those right away. I remember having to wait almost an hour one time due to them having only one person at each wristband booth.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:01 pm

pdcon wrote:

As much as I love this site, sadly Ifeel like this whole site is slowly dying. I am probably wrong though.

TPR is still very active in the world of facebook groups. There's just nothing exciting going on at SFDK.

I went almost 10 years between visits from Los Angeles because the bay area didn't offer anything compelling until RailBlazer and Joker were added.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby INF199 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:09 pm

I went yesterday and it was pretty packed. All the main rides were running. Harley Quinn was down until a few hours into the day, then it was constantly running. V2 had about a 10-15 min wait. Joker was around 30 min. Superman and Batman had long lines so skipped those. Medusa had a bigger line as well, not sure what the wait time would be. SFDK still does the wristbands. We had purchased online and redeemed them early on. The lines were really long around 6pm so definitely get those as early as possible. Shipwreck was probably the worst maze. It had 3-4 actors with a kinda small line but long wait time. By the time we got towards the front, then sent groups of 10 so that kills the thrill as well. St Hades Hospital was probably the best haunted maze Ive been too. The scares were great and the maze was really well done well imo. St Hades Hospital and Demons Lair are both next to each other and they had the shortest wait times. Its kinda hidden so maybe people couldn’t find it. Carnevil had the longest line but that maze was really good as well. All in all, we had a great time.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!